The Independent State Legislature Theory

40 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

It should be distinctly understood that NONE of the dissenters enforced the ISL theory. 

I checked, and this is correct. Thomas wrote the dissent, which focuses on what's called the mootness doctrine. In other words, the Supreme Court didn't need to resolve this issue at this time because the immediate issue was resolved on other grounds.

So it is true that the sweeping independent state legislature theory didn't gain any traction at the Supreme Court. At least not this time around.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I checked, and this is correct. Thomas wrote the dissent, which focuses on what's called the mootness doctrine. In other words, the Supreme Court didn't need to resolve this issue at this time because the immediate issue was resolved on other grounds.

So it is true that the sweeping independent state legislature theory didn't gain any traction at the Supreme Court. At least not this time around.

I am pleasantly surprised by this. I thought that at least one or two would go for it and a handful may have been tempted (even though ISL has no basis in the constitution or history).

An all around solid rebuke of the crazies. 

Edited by ChiGoose