Lou Dobbs on the Bankruptcy Law

The answer is simple,  pay off your charges in full each month.  If you cant then thats sign #1 that you're charging too much and you need to cut back.        If you wont do that then who's fault is it again?

334428[/snapback]

[sARCASM ON]

Maybe the gov't can put public service messages out there to do this? Use it like an anti-drug commercial?

You think they would?

[/sARCASM OFF]

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, but doesn't surprise me. My sister-in-law is a designer who once showed me a set of color charts used by a color consultant she knows - like a ring of paint color examples, but with the specific thoughts and emotions each color evokes in people. The color consultant advises detroit what colors to put on their line of cars this year, recommends paint schemes for stores and restaurants, etc. He was hired by a client to advise the best color to make a specific mailing, in which the client had a huge stake in. The client saved an enormous amount of money in refund checks that were never cashed, many of them having been thrown away unopened due to the unappealing design.

334260[/snapback]

Great idea. Remember when people used to admire the combination of smarts, hard work and opportunity? Now we all just whine and cry about our victim status as if the evil car company forced us to buy their product because it was a pretty color.

From the same column:

"A recent Harvard study shows that nearly half of all personal bankruptcies in this country are caused by costly illnesses and medical bills. And surprisingly, more than three quarters of the debtors who sought court protection from creditors had some health insurance coverage at the onset of the illness that triggered bankruptcy."

333030[/snapback]

How much of that is because people aren't responsible for themselves in the first place...In stead of making sure they are covered in case of a medical emergency they'd rather have the big screen tv or hell just cable but will B word if they have to pay an extra $10-$20 per month for health insurance...

Anyone defending the credit card companies is nuts. They make PLENTY of money doing things that if you or I tried to do would get us landed in the klink for racketeering.

334437[/snapback]

Maybe but too many people live an "it's only" life style...Cable "it's only" $50/mo...Cell phone "it's only", ect.

The problem is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many people live beyond or at least right up to their means.

How much of that is because people aren't responsible for themselves in the first place...In stead of making sure they are covered in case of a medical emergency they'd rather have the big screen tv or hell just cable but will B word if they have to pay an extra $10-$20 per month for health insurance...

334547[/snapback]

You find me health insurance that gives me any added benefit for $10-20 extra a month.

When I was a full time consultant, my "decent" health insurance for a family of 3 was over $1200 a month. An extra hundred didn't buy better coverage.

You find me health insurance that gives me any added benefit for $10-20 extra a month.

When I was a full time consultant, my "decent" health insurance for a family of 3 was over $1200 a month.  An extra hundred didn't buy better coverage.

334558[/snapback]

I was more talking about extra as far as catastrophic coverage on top of what an employer would ususally supply...$1200/mo dang my wife and I pay $600 for a family of four (we don't get it from our employers)...But we have a second policy that covers anything over the lifetime limit of the policy and it's $27.50 per month so I guess I lied.

But it's more the point that...well I think you knew the point.

Maybe but too many people live an "it's only" life style...Cable "it's only" $50/mo...Cell phone "it's only", ect.

The problem is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many people live beyond or at least right up to their means.

334551[/snapback]

Look, I'm not saying they need to go out of business, I just think that if they're going to put the screws to consumers, the government should level the playing field a bit by restricting the amount of interest and fees the greedy bastards can charge.

But that will never happen because they are too large and too powerful.

I haven't read the law, but I thought I saw an article that refered to certain protections for those at the bottom of the economic scale.

332990[/snapback]

That's basically true. The forced Chapter 13 provisions only apply to those debtors above a median income.

And I'm sure that's somewhere near the John Kerry "Rich" line.

335086[/snapback]

It goes by the median family income of the state in which the debtor resides, based on the number in the debtor's family.

And I'm sure that's somewhere near the John Kerry "Rich" line.

335086[/snapback]

So just curious...If a guy goes out buys a boat, big screen TV, a 30,000 car,ect and makes say 50K a year.

He loses his job, how easy should it be for him to file for a Bankruptcy? Meaning how easy should it be for a guy/girl to buy lots of "stuff" get into a tough situation and have the CC company eat it?

Yes it sucks what rates CC comapanies can charge but it's now a day and age where lots of people want everything and want it now.

334551[/snapback]

i've seen this happen to alot of military people. you get some 18 year old with a little bit of money in his/her pocket and they see a stereo for "only" $100 a month, and a computer for "only" $100 a month, and a car for "only" $300 a month, a cell phone for "only" $50 a month, etc

i know a couple ex military in their 20s and 30s who are still trying to repair their credit. if "only" they read the fine print

i've seen this happen to alot of military people.  you get some 18 year old with a little bit of money in his/her pocket and they see a stereo for "only" $100 a month, and a computer for "only" $100 a month, and a car for "only" $300 a month, a cell phone for "only" $50 a month, etc

335183[/snapback]

Usually it's not a problem with military because they'll garnish wages without a judgment - just a copy of the finance agreement is all that's needed, and you'll get paid. That's why so many Buy Here/Pay Here slug lots are near the bases. It's easy pickin's for them if the guy (or gal) doesn't make their payments as agreed.

The whole republican stance on bankruptcy is ironic. 70% of all personal bankruptcies are due to the inability to pay medical costs when catastrophy strikes.

However, the republicans staunchly support an increased privatization of medical care causing more and more AMericans to go uninsured. If they dislike bankruptcy why not go to a single-payer system.

Just a thought.

The whole republican stance on bankruptcy is ironic. 70% of all personal bankruptcies are due to the inability to pay medical costs when catastrophy strikes.

However, the republicans staunchly support an increased privatization of medical care causing more and more AMericans to go uninsured. If they dislike bankruptcy why not go to a single-payer system.

Just a thought.

335298[/snapback]

Perhaps they don't like the idea of the government going bankrupt either. Socialized medicine: all the efficiency of the DMV, all the compassion of the IRS.

Wake up.

So just curious...If a guy goes out buys a boat, big screen TV, a 30,000 car,ect and makes say 50K a year.

He loses his job, how easy should it be for him to file for a Bankruptcy?  Meaning how easy should it be for a guy/girl to buy lots of "stuff" get into a tough situation and have the CC company eat it?

Yes it sucks what rates CC comapanies can charge but it's now a day and age where lots of people want everything and want it now.

335171[/snapback]

If he so chooses, he should be able to file for bankruptcy. Look, the bankruptcy laws only protect certain assets and only a certain amount of assets. If someone is living egregiously over their head, they're going to lose a lot of what they accumulated.

If he so chooses, he should be able to file for bankruptcy. Look, the bankruptcy laws only protect certain assets and only a certain amount of assets. If someone is living egregiously over their head, they're going to lose a lot of what they accumulated.

335414[/snapback]

And that's why CC companies charge high interest...It's not like they are going to get all there money back they are unsecured debt they are going to low in line to be paid.

Just a thought.

335298[/snapback]

Well what % of that 70% go bankrupt due to medical bills because of the lifestyle they were leading before hand? The medical bills may have been the last straw but I bet not the only one.

Well what % of that 70% go bankrupt due to medical bills because of the lifestyle they were leading before hand?  The medical bills may have been the last straw but I bet not the only one.

335434[/snapback]

Perhaps. But people deserve a second chance, especially those that have struggled many years with debt.

Well what % of that 70% go bankrupt due to medical bills because of the lifestyle they were leading before hand?  The medical bills may have been the last straw but I bet not the only one.

335434[/snapback]

I don't know, why don't you tell us? Your post is at the least very presumptuous. Not everyone who gets hit with a crippling med bill "has an illness coming to them."