Student Suspended Over Call to Mom in Iraq

story

Student Suspended Over Call to Mom in Iraq

The Associated Press

Saturday, May 7, 2005; 1:55 AM

COLUMBUS, Ga. -- A high school student was suspended for 10 days for refusing to end a mobile phone call with his mother, a soldier serving in Iraq, school officials said.

The 10-day suspension was issued because Kevin Francois was "defiant and disorderly" and was imposed in lieu of an arrest, Spencer High School assistant principal Alfred Parham said.

The confrontation Wednesday began after the 17-year-old junior got a call at lunchtime from his mother, Sgt. 1st Class Monique Bates, who left in January for a one-year tour with the 203rd Forward Support Battalion.

Mobile phones are allowed on campus but may not be used during school hours. When a teacher told him to hang up, he refused. He said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom."

Parham said the teen's suspension was based on his reaction to the teacher's request. He said the teen used profanity when taken to the office.

"Kevin got defiant and disorderly," Parham said. "When a kid becomes out of control like that they can either be arrested or suspended for 10 days. Now being that his mother is in Iraq, we're not trying to cause her any undue hardship; he was suspended for 10 days."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

once he told them his mother was in Irag and she was on the phone - those clueless sobs should have backed off and let him have his conversation - there is so little real real respect for our troops and the sacrifices they make the fight this meaningless war - let her have an friggin conversation with her son - nothing going on in that school was more important than that

Mobile phones are allowed on campus but may not be used during school hours.

A 10-day suspension seems a little harsh for that, but that's on the school's admin. Personal responsibility is the cat's meow for a lot of people until such time as someone should exercise it. When my brother was in Bosnia in '96 and called at odd hours. Sometimes you have to say, "Love ya. Take care of yourself, we're all thinking of you" and then send a care package the next day to make up for it. Sucks, yeah, but they're rules. If I show up late for work and there's no cashier for 30 minutes, however good the excuse was, I'd expect to be severely repremanded or fired.

First off. your subject title gets the facts wrong. There was no call "to" Mom, his Mom called him. This is important because it would have been a clearer violation of the rules if he had initiated the call and had no good reason to wait until later when it would not havw been a violation of the rules to call his Mom. Tour subject line makes it appear he did something he did not do.

Second, since the rule does not allow any cellphone calls during school hours he did violate the rules by taking a call and talking on the phone in school.

This strikes me as a case where he was guilty of violating a rule (and thus should have been found guilty and given a punishment for violation), however, he seemed to potentially have good reason for violating the rule if he could tell from the phone call that a call was coming in from his Mother in a warzone.

The actions of the school seem quite reasonable to me.

1. He was found guilty of violating a rule which is important to have in a school as cellphones have become ubiquitous and their use can interfere with what school is about.

2. He had good reason for answering the call as it came from the adult in charge of him and she was in a warzone and the call may be as important as life and death.

It seems quite reasonable to me to find him guilty of violating the rule and may be potentially useful to set an example by giving him a harsh punishment for the violation.

However, upon hearing his appeal and the wailings of others, they lessened the punishment to essentially a time-served punishment by lessening it so he can return to school on Monday.

Fortunately, it does not appear that his Mom was physically harmed in Iraq. Yet finding him guilty of violating the rule (which he did) but letting him off due to the real extenuating circumstances seems reasonable to me. It appears the same outcome might have been achieved more gracefully than this sequence of events, but unless I misunderstand the situation, they appear to have in the end gotten it right.

story

The confrontation Wednesday began after the 17-year-old junior got a call at lunchtime from his mother, Sgt. 1st Class Monique Bates, who left in January for a one-year tour with the 203rd Forward Support Battalion.

Mobile phones are allowed on campus but may not be used during school hours. When a teacher told him to hang up, he refused. He said he told the teacher, "This is my mom in Iraq. I'm not about to hang up on my mom."

331252[/snapback]

I says that he got a call from her during lunch time. That's not necessarily considered "during school hours" is it??

If the person was abiding by the school rules, shouldn't his phone have been turned off?

Why would it be on if it can't be used?

Knowing her kid was in school?... Why would the mother call at this time? Unless, it was an emergency?

Time zone issues? Why not leave a voice mail?

I am not necessarily taking sides here... But, her son's schooling and education should have taken top priority UNLESS IT WAS AN EMERGENCY.

It is all about ME nowadays?

Kinda like the "10-10 Rule"... Would you dream of calling your kid in school to chat... EVEN IF YOU ARE IN A WARZONE?

:o:doh:

Once again, the retard rodeo shows how little they understand anything outside their own little world.

"Why did his mom call while he was in school?"

Uh, probably because that's when she had both opportunity and ability. You see, when serving in 3rd world countries it's not always easy or affordable to speak to your family members. The rules are probably a little different now (or maybe they aren't) but when I was in we got ONE morale call a month on the government. Because there are so many people, they are generally at programmed times.

Now, that may or may not be the case but thanks to the school and some of you for "supporting the troops." Zero tolerance policies, lack of understanding, and lemmings who follow along all SUCK. :o

I think both parties could have handled the situation alot better.

331288[/snapback]

I totally agree.

What if that kid was at work? Shouldn't his education be seen as "his job?"

The teacher could have let him slide and said hushly: "Make it quick and out of sight."

We are always complaining about the education system. There is no reason why the mother should have been this "selfish" and undercut her son's NUMBER 1 responsibility!

UNLESS IT WAS A EMERGENCY ON HER PART!

What did we do when there were no cellphones? There are other means. This is clearly a case where our "instant" society is harmful. But, we find ways to blame EVERYBODY ELSE.

Once again, the retard rodeo shows how little they understand anything outside their own little world.

Uh, probably because that's when she had both opportunity and ability.  You see, when serving in 3rd world countries it's not always easy or affordable to speak to your family members.  The rules are probably a little different now (or maybe they aren't) but when I was in we got ONE morale call a month on the government.  Because there are so many people, they are generally at programmed times.

Now, that may or may not be the case but thanks to the school and some of you for "supporting the troops."  Zero tolerance policies, lack of understanding, and lemmings who follow along all SUCK.  :o

331291[/snapback]

There's a better (more in depth) story on CNN.com. Apparently the kid didn't say anything about it being his mother in Iraq until later. He just flew off the wall on everyone until he was in the principals office. Even then he didn't expain anything right away.

Sounds like the kid is an idiot to me.

Uh, probably because that's when she had both opportunity and ability.  You see, when serving in 3rd world countries it's not always easy or affordable to speak to your family members.  The rules are probably a little different now (or maybe they aren't) but when I was in we got ONE morale call a month on the government.  Because there are so many people, they are generally at programmed times.

Now, that may or may not be the case but thanks to the school and some of you for "supporting the troops."  Zero tolerance policies, lack of understanding, and lemmings who follow along all SUCK.  :o

331291[/snapback]

You might be right AD... Nice spin!

You see... It is all about me, me and ME...

Think about putting your kid first and worry about your own arse... What a cop out!

But blame the education system because they won't "bend" the rules.

:doh::blink:

You might be right AD... Nice spin!

You see... It is all about me, me and ME...

Think about putting your kid first and worry about your own arse... What a cop out!

But blame the education system because they won't "bend" the rules.

:o  :doh:

331302[/snapback]

You're an idiot - but that's not exactly news. An "education system" that is rigidly inflexible is one of the main reasons we have so many unprepared kids joining our work force. I'm sure that allowing this one phone call would have caused total anarchy and the demise of our very society. Somehow I don't think giving this kid 10 days is going to help the situation at all in regards to his respect for those at the school.

I can't even pretend to understand the rest of your swamp swill induced gobbledeegook conclusions. But I'm sure you'll do your best to get your tongue off the window long enough to explain it in an even less understandable manner.

You're an idiot - but that's not exactly news.  An "education system" that is rigidly inflexible is one of the main reasons we have so many unprepared kids joining our work force.  I'm sure that allowing this one phone call would have caused total anarchy and the demise of our very society.  Somehow I don't think giving this kid 10 days is going to help the situation at all in regards to his respect for those at the school. 

I can't even pretend to understand the rest of your swamp swill induced gobbledeegook conclusions.  But I'm sure you'll do your best to get your tongue off the window long enough to explain it in an even less understandable manner.

331304[/snapback]

Why don't you read the facts Darin... They DIDN'T know he was talking to his mother overseas.

Didn't they reduce it to 3 days?

I take his incorrigable attitude when asked about the call is at the root of the matter?

But... Go ahead and soldier on your crusade.

:o

Supposedly these are the key facts:

"The teen, whom Muscogee County School District Superintendent John Phillips Jr., wouldn't name, did not tell the teacher he was talking to his mother in Iraq. "

"We are endeavoring to have the young man readmitted after a three-day suspension, which was the first option for him. It was only after greater defiance and profanity that the suspension was extended," Phillips said.

"Phillips said the school, which is located near Fort Benning, often arranges for students to receive calls from parents who are deployed. More than 3,700 students in the district belong to military families."

But, feel free to turn it into anything you want?

Supposedly these are the key facts:

"The teen, whom Muscogee County School District Superintendent John Phillips Jr., wouldn't name, did not tell the teacher he was talking to his mother in Iraq. "

"We are endeavoring to have the young man readmitted after a three-day suspension, which was the first option for him. It was only after greater defiance and profanity that the suspension was extended," Phillips said.

"Phillips said the school, which is located near Fort Benning, often arranges for students to receive calls from parents who are deployed. More than 3,700 students in the district belong to military families."

But, feel free to turn it into anything you want?

331311[/snapback]

Yeah, it's nice to tell one side of the story - as the media is so well known for. I fail to see a reason for there to have been an original suspension over what is nothing more than a misunderstanding. Typical abuse of power by our "educators." They then compound the situation by ADDING more time to it because of language? That'll ensure he'll have far more respect for their authority, I'm sure.

Was it not you who brought up the timing of the mother's call? Now read over your last line again, hero. Later, head down to the local library and pick up a book on punctuation. Review the chapter on proper use of question marks. Damn.

Yeah, it's nice to tell one side of the story - as the media is so well known for.

Was it not you who brought up the timing of the mother's call?  Now read over your last line again, hero.  Later, head down to the local library and pick up a book on punctuation.  Review the chapter  on proper use of question marks.  Damn.

331312[/snapback]

Yes... That is before I knew all the facts... It seems perfectly acceptible in this region. My point was from the way I would have viewed it if I was the parent. I am SORRY that you took my judgement on what the mother did and her timing so personal. She did have to be calling at about midnight local time???

Just imagine how they would handle those 3,700 students if the district/school didn't micromanage the calls?

It seems that you condone the kid going off on his superiors/teachers? Why doesn't that surprise me? You wouldn't have precedent in doing this to your fellow board members?

I added the quotation marks... I wasn't concerned about proper grammar. I also italicized them.

My main emphasis was that I wanted to show it was from another source... But, if you want to split hairs and tear me down anyway you can... Be my guest.

The problem is that this even made the media.

The kid pleas down to 3 days for his insubordination and it is final... But, throw it into the news and it all gets PC'd (Patriotically Corrected).

Yes... That is before I knew all the facts... It seems perfectly acceptible in this region.  My point was from the way I would have viewed it if I was the parent.  I am SORRY that you took my judgement on what the mother did and her timing so personal.  She did have to be calling at about midnight local time???

Just imagine how they would handle those 3,700 students if the district/school didn't micromanage the calls?

It seems that you condone the kid going off on his superiors/teachers?  Why doesn't that surprise me?  You wouldn't have precedent in doing this to your fellow board members?

I added the quotation marks... I wasn't concerned about proper grammar.  I also italicized them.

My main emphasis was that I wanted to show it was from another source... But, if you want to split hairs and tear me down anyway you can... Be my guest.

The problem is that this even made the media.

The kid pleas down to 3 days for his insubordination and it is final... But, throw it into the news and it all gets PC'd (Patriotically Corrected).

331316[/snapback]

Ah, so do as I say not as I do. That's about all we needed to know about that.

As for the kid, I wasn't there and it's not out of the realm that teacher's and administrators LIE to cover their own ass when they make a decision that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

As for the timing of the mother's call, I understand her situation. You obviously don't - but don't let that stop you from being an overwhelming douche bag. Calling at midnight in a combat zone? Hmmm. Wonder is she was doing that because there was actually a line available for "UNOFFICIAL" business - since communications are obviously at a premium in such areas. Ah, common sense is so very uncommon.

Quotation marks? WTF are you babbling about now?

Ah, so do as I say not as I do.  That's about all we needed to know about that.

As for the kid, I wasn't there and it's not out of the realm that teacher's and administrators LIE to cover their own ass when they make a decision that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

As for the timing of the mother's call, I understand her situation.  You obviously don't - but don't let that stop you from being an overwhelming douche bag.

Quotation marks?  WTF are you babbling about now?

331319[/snapback]

Like the kid wouldn't lie to cover his arse either? That doesn't happen.

The question is? How the heck did this hit the media?

You asked me about my questionable use of quotation marks?

You wrote:

Later, head down to the local library and pick up a book on punctuation. Review the chapter on proper use of question marks. Damn.

:o:doh: