A good article from the nerd(clayton)

doesnt draft late round starters...well, late round starters in the NFL arent common...take a look at most skill positions and you'll realize that the majority of starters are drafted on Day 1...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...d=2019165&num=0

so yes you can get gems in the late rounds, however, they arent common at all...

doesnt draft late round starters...well, late round starters in the NFL arent common...take a look at most skill positions and you'll realize that the majority of starters are drafted on Day 1...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...d=2019165&num=0

so yes you can get gems in the late rounds, however, they arent common at all...

329696[/snapback]

Speak up. Socalsurf can't hear you. :lol:

I have always found it interesting that the Bills invested so heavily at the linebacker position. I am not questionning it because I think this investment has contributed very significantly to our defensive success, but it is definitely unusual. The same can be said for our investment at the safety position. I believe that Milloy and Vincent are two of the top paid safeties. At LT, it appears that we are going to try to get through the season with Gandy or Teague. This is also interesting since most of the LTs were highly drafted players.

I think Clayton's logic is backward to some degree... ( :lol: gee, like that's never happened before!)

Maybe the reason so many starters are drafted from rounds 1-3 is because these guys carry larger salaries, so teams feel compelled to have them on the field rather than riding the bench.

A personnel guy or coach who has a lot of high-round picks riding the pine doesn't last long...and if the player fails to make it on the field, the coach/GM can always say "Hey, I gave him a shot...it's his fault (not mine) that he failed."

The other thing I found funny was the quote from the Steelers operations director:

“We've always believed you have to get your starters from rounds one, two and three. I remember looking at a study that said 70 percent of the Pro Bowl comes from the early rounds of the draft.”

Perhaps the reason so many Pro Bowlers come from rounds 1-3 is because these guys tend to: (a) be better known, (b) have better agents and PR people and (3) I'll throw them a little credit--have had more experience/better coaching than low round picks from small schools, so it takes them less time to develop (and if they're from big schools--allows them to be comfortable playing in front of 70,000+ fans).

How many times have we seen guys who "should be in the Pro Bowl" (Pat Williams, an UDFA comes to mind) get bypassed for some "name" player...

I have always found it interesting that the Bills invested so heavily at the linebacker [and safety] position. 

329705[/snapback]

What time period are you talking about...the TD era or the team's history in general?

I seem to recall we had a pretty expensive D-line a few years ago and spent bumpkis on safeties.

The Bills big investment at LB and S may simply be due to that fact that good players (Spikes, Fletcher, Vincent, Milloy) were available when the team had cap room to make a run at them...

Maybe TD doesn't draft that bad.

sad.gif

Gee, you think?

It's not like he learned his craft from one of the most succesful and knowledgable football families of all time; oh wait, yes it is.

And it's not like he's got one of the best drafting records in the history of the entire NFL; oh wait, yes he does.

So yeah, maybe he's not all that bad.

But what I find the most interesting is that the realization that the Bills GM is better than you thought seems to make you sad?

0:)