Good News on Intelligent Design

College Guy; I hope you are still in college- my suspicion is you are and will be for a while- so that it may occur to you in your exhaustive study of feminist reconstructionism and the history of gay and lesbian artifacts and the exploitation by dead europeans of everyone that Christians inherited the ID from Judaism. Even the most backward pagan cults had creation stories. Indeed it is only the illuminati of post- Enlightenment Europe who are so stupid as to fall from grace.

330099[/snapback]

I'll be in graduate school for one more year. I do my research out of the medical school in the Department of Pediatrics and I'll emerge with a PhD in Chemical Engineering. I'd say I'm alot more qualified to discuss biology, science, medicine and evolution than you'll ever be. Your looking down upon those that are educated in college setting is disturbing. Believe it or not, I'm a registered republican. I can't stand any of the liberal bullcrap as much as I can't stand all the religious mumbo jumbo you guys try to force down everyone's throat. I don't mind people having their own religious beliefs as long as they don't try to force others to believe the same thing. If you think about it, the idea of Christianity and Intelligent Design holds as much water as Egyptian "mythology" and Greek "mythology"...the only difference is Christians recruit much better...and Egyptian/Greek mythology is alot more fun to read.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're completely delusional if you are going to try and pretend that christians had nothing to do with the creation of the farce called intelligent design

330089[/snapback]

Even if a Christian did discover ID, does that undermine its credibility? There are billions of Christians- does the fact of their faith undermine their credibility? Darwin was a Christian- is evolution thus a farce?

Nowhere in the ID curriculum is Jesus mentioned. It's just a scientific alternative. As Beauxsox said, please, stay in school.

I'll be in graduate school for one more year. I do my research out of the medical school in the Department of Pediatrics and I'll emerge with a PhD in Chemical Engineering. I'd say I'm alot more qualified to discuss biology, science, medicine and evolution than you'll ever be. Your looking down upon those that are educated in college setting is disturbing.

330111[/snapback]

Please don't put too much faith in college education. What you've learned is what a few people wanted to teach you. That reject other scientific theories out of hand- such as ID- shows how little you get from the establishment.

Nowhere in the ID curriculum is Jesus mentioned. It's just a scientific alternative. As Beauxsox said, please, stay in school.

330115[/snapback]

WHERE'S THE SCIENCE?? The National Academy of Sciences and the National Center for Science Education have described ID as pseudoscience!

It's this kind of crap that makes sensible republicans cringe at the religious right...and vote libertarian

Please don't put too much faith in college education. What you've learned is what a few people wanted to teach you. That reject other scientific theories out of hand- such as ID- shows how little you get from the establishment.

330119[/snapback]

Might as well throw out medical research and treatment also...just let that intelligent designer take care of you.

It's this kind of crap that makes sensible republicans cringe at the religious right...and vote libertarian

330121[/snapback]

...and there is nothing wrong with that. 0:)

I don't know how you got that we somehow agreed. Einstein NEVER developed or "posited" a unified theory. And the people who are standing on his shoulders today looking for laws and numbers that mesh the subatomic world with the three-dimensional one we exist, they find more and more puzzling evidence of the chaos and non-order of things.

329963[/snapback]

[/quote

I am not a physicist- I flunked the Physics Regents based in part upon my then 17 year-old certitude that I would never "need" it anyway and it was incredibly boring and if you knew who taught it well let me tell you.... In a sense it is good that I did flunk it because knowing that I know close to nothing does not entrap me with false bravado- i mean had I gotten an "A"I would have been overconfident- and thus i am constantly researching stuff.

Anywho. I googled Einstein's unified Theory and , to my ignorant surprise, I got more physics than I ever thought I would need.

The site claims " the attempts to develop a unified theory are grounded in the belief that all physical phenomenana should ultimately be explainable by SOME UNDERLYING UNITY ( emphasis mine) "

And what is all that about the interaction of gravity, electromagnetism and the weak and strong nuclear forces. Geeze. to the untrained mind that sort a , kind a sounds like.. like... a theory...perhaps one with unity...could it be?...well yes a unified theory.

Was Einstein successful? No, unfortunately he rejected Quantum Physics. Of course I rejected Quantum physics also. You know what they say about great minds.....

330033[/snapback]

Cute. "I'm not a physicist, in fact I flunked it...so I'm going to opine with pretended expertise on the subject."

Well, I am a physicist. And you still demonstrably don't know what you're talking about.

WHERE'S THE SCIENCE?? The National Academy of Sciences and the National Center for Science Education have described ID as pseudoscience!

Pseudosources calling something pseudoscience. I'm impressed.

Rather than refute your assertion that ID is not science with specifics, I'll just footnote you to an ID site. Refute that you college-y Bi-otch.

Dare you to click "science" guy

Goody. Now you can talk about a pseudoparty. You're good at this.

Libertarians basic fault: they trust people to take care of themselves.

Might as well throw out medical research and treatment also...just let that intelligent designer take care of you.

330121[/snapback]

Always to the extreme with you science types. ID *IS* science. That's all this is about.

Cute.  "I'm not a physicist, in fact I flunked it...so I'm going to opine with pretended expertise on the subject."

Well, I am a physicist.  And you still demonstrably don't know what you're talking about.

330137[/snapback]

1) I doubt you are a physicist except in the respect that we all are.

2) The only proof that "I demonstrably don't know what {I am} talking about is MY admission that I am not knowledgeable about Physics which begs the question...

3) What "demonstrably" do You know.

4)Where did I say "so I am going to opine with pretended expertise on the subject"........since I never said that- nor anything remotely close- am I to conclude that you make up things out of whole cloth?

5) How does one stipulate that one knows little, as I did, and in the same sentence claim, as I did not though you claim I did, this is grounds to "opine" "expertise"?

Read the post aagin.  I didn't say God is crap.  What is crap, though, is explaining away a scientific black box as some divine mystery.  To me, that is ignorant.

329967[/snapback]

Here is what I find disturbing:

I believe in God. I also beilieve that evolution is a viable theory not at all at odds with a creator. I don't know enough about ID to say much about it, but I will say that if there is a God, he more than likely "designed" us. With that said, teaching ID as a science is an oxymoron. If God designed us, he could do it with or without science.

Why do I think it is beig taught/pushed? I think it is because a large portion of the scientific population think that they are so smart that they can simply dismiss the possibility of God existing. To me, this is the most arrogant stance a person can take on any topic. Here is an example of where I see it manifested:

"Darwin fishes" on cars --- The fish you see on cars is a symbol of Christ. The Darwin fish overtly states that since evolution is "true" Christ cannot be. It shoves evolution in the face of Christians and mocks them. If evolution was being taught properly, it would be clear that it is not fundamentally at odds with religion/Christ. The normal fish on cars does not in any way mock evolution. It stands to reason that those tecaching evolution (or at least a goodly portion of them) are perfectly happy if the student is left with the impression that God is a myth. If that weren't true, there would be no market for the darwin thingies.

I think some Christians feel violated by the educational system and that ID is a backlash. From a scientific point of view it is probably something that is at best grasping at straws and at worst dangerous. I'm almost sure it would not be around if people did not feel their faith was under attack. Perhaps the evolutionists should re-examine their curriculum to see if it is focusing on the proper area (ie. the scientific theory itself) and not sending a message that believers are all stupid and should be mocked.

My own faith is strong enough to bear the weight of some genius who is smart enough to figure ot that God is a myth yet still unable to fix a flat tire, so this crap doesn't bother me much. With that said, I can understand the reaction of some who feel their children are being manipulated.

Rather than refute your assertion that ID is not science with specifics, I'll just footnote you to an ID site. Refute that you college-y Bi-otch.

i give up...arguing with you is an insult to the scientific and medical development our world has seen

i'll leave you with this...

http://www.thebeastmovie.com/

should give you fundies something to get all excited about

how is that a fault?  does not the Lord help those who help themselves?

330207[/snapback]

sar·casm Pronunciation Key (särkzm)

n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.

ID is philosphy. And not without a lot of its own quandaries and dead ends.

What is the purpose of ID science -- to pursue the identity of the designer? His methods? His reasons?

How can ID be used to further study in the natural selection, mutations and adaptation we plainly see among species (dog breeds that didn't exist a century ago, super-bacteria, etc.?)

How can ID be adapted to the study of biogenetics, where "science guys" (and "girls") have done things like locate a genetic marker for breast cancer? (And what the hell is the IDer doing putting THAT in our genome pool? It's like putting salt in the gas tank of His brand new Lexus).

If there was intelligent design of man, why was it handled so poorly in some cases -- the 50 percent failure rate of human pregnancies, useless male nipples, eyes and ears that see only a fraction of available colors and sounds?

It seems to me that the more you delve into ID, the less wonder you view Him with.

Come one science lovers: tell me how important it is to teach evolution- a theory so full holes that it's like swiss cheese that you couldn't fit it through the eye of a needle.

Intelligent Design is the only way to explain the complexity of the world. Thankfully, it's finally getting its day in the schools. This is a great day for American children and for the future of scientific debate in the US- with an acknowledgement that so-called "scientific" theories take a back seat to the higher power.

ID in Kanas

329365[/snapback]

Come one God lovers: tell me how important it is to teach ID - a theory so full of holes that it's like swiss cheese that you couldn't fit it through the eye of a needle.

Evolution is the only way to explain the complexity of the world. Thankfully, it's finally getting tis day in the schools. This is a great day for American children and for the future of scientific debate in the US - with an acknowledgement that so-caleld "religious" theories take a back seat to real science.

See I can be ignorant too. Geesh.

I was about to apologize until I DID read your post again...

You said "...the "divine hand of God" or some other crap."

If you state that anything dealing with the Hand of God is crap, then that is calling God Himself crap.  Again, I say that is rude and ignorant, because anyone who has seen the Divine Hand of God, would NEVER call it crap, or even compare it.

Scientific black box as a divine mystery... God enjoys us trying to figure out His nature.  He has definitely given us the ability to understand it to some degree.  But remember that God Himself is the architect behind all science.

329978[/snapback]

Man Christians get so defensive, its kind of funny and sad at the same time.

Pascal's Wager: " 'God is, or He is not'. But to which side shall we incline? Reason can decide nothing here. There is an infinite chaos which separated us. A game is being played at the extremity of this infinite distance where heads or tails will turn up.... which will you choose then? Let us see. Since you must choose, let us see which interests you least. You have two things to lose, the true and the good; and two things at stake, your reason and your will, your knowledge and your happiness; and your nature has two things to shun, error and misery. Your reason is no more shocked in choosing one rather than the other, since you must of necessity choose...But your happiness? Let us weigh the gain and loss in wagering that God is...If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation that He is. "

329970[/snapback]

Actually you do lose something: All the fun sh-- you get to do when you're not a Christian. Like saying sh--.

sh--.

sh--.

sh--.

sh--.

330119[/snapback]

Please don't put too much faith in religious education. What you've learned is what a few people wanted to teach you. That reject other scientific theories out of hand- such as Evolution- shows how little you get from the establishment.

Dare you to click "science" guy

Goody. Now you can talk about a pseudoparty. You're good at this.

Libertarians basic fault: they trust people to take care of themselves.

Always to the extreme with you science types. ID *IS* science. That's all this is about.

330142[/snapback]

Christians aren't supposed to say B word.

you're completely delusional if you are going to try and pretend that christians had nothing to do with the creation of the farce called intelligent design

330089[/snapback]

Oh, you believe in creation! That's great!!! 0:)

1) I doubt you are a physicist except in the respect that we all are.

3) What "demonstrably" do You know.

You'd be wrong. Look up my publications in Physics Review and Physica. They're a matter of record...in fact, I've posted some links before, under my previous user name. Peer-reviewed literature should be enough to demonstrate what I know...if you can keep from confusing such non-fiction with "fiction".

5) How does one stipulate that one knows little, as I did, and in the same sentence claim, as I did not though you claim I did, this is grounds to "opine" "expertise"?

330152[/snapback]

Well, they start by saying "Einstein said this in this theory", when Einstein neither said that nor created any such theory, then they go on to say "But I flunked physics". <_<

Come one God lovers: tell me how important it is to teach ID - a theory so full of holes that it's like swiss cheese that you couldn't fit it through the eye of a needle.

Evolution is the only way to explain the complexity of the world.  Thankfully, it's finally getting tis day in the schools.  This is a great day for American children and for the future of scientific debate in the US - with an acknowledgement that so-caleld "religious" theories take a back seat to real science.

See I can be ignorant too.  Geesh.

330221[/snapback]

Wow. The "I am rubber, you're glue" argument. Good stuff.