Feliz Cinco de Mayo

i'm all about having an excuse to drink. but to me, the history of Cinco De Mayo just isn't enough. Cinco De Mayo celebrates Mexico's defeat of France in 1862, with some help from us Americans.

Defeating the French just doesn't seem like a big day to me. Maybe its my English and German heiritages speaking, because we call those days weekdays :lol:

Cinco de Mayo is less about Mexico defeating the French (in the US) than it is about selling alcohol. While the booze companies didn't invent the holiday, they certainly brought it into the mainstream. Why not? The same has been done to most other holidays such as Christmas and Easter. Soon we will have Clean Your Ear Wax Day and Turn Your Shorts Inside Out Day. Add a super model with a Q-tip, inside-out undies and a bottle of booze and wham we got us more drinking holidays!

Cinco de Mayo is less about Mexico defeating the French (in the US) than it is about selling alcohol.  While the booze companies didn't invent the holiday, they certainly brought it into the mainstream.  Why not?  The same has been done to most other holidays such as Christmas and Easter.  Soon we will have Clean Your Ear Wax Day and Turn Your Shorts Inside Out Day.  Add a super model with a Q-tip, inside-out undies and a bottle of booze and wham we got us more drinking holidays!

329548[/snapback]

Not that there's anything wrong with that.... :lol:

For me Cinco de Mayo is about me and my college buddies some 20 years ago going out every year on the 5th of May, getting hammered drinking Dos Equis, and speaking nothing but "pidgin Spanish" all night (the ones who took French in HS -or the "French fags" as we called them - were at a disadvantage).

To this day every Cinco de Mayo I'm guaranteed to come into work and have a bunch of Cinco de Mayo emails waiting from those guys I went to college with.

Are you taking a diplomacy corrspondence course these days? Or just being shallow? :lol:

329565[/snapback]

Glass is half full baby. Half full. Plus, I'm Irish. Don't need much of an excuse to party.

Got pulled over one time in one of them Spanglish speaking Central American countries because my dumbass buddy forgot to disengage the parking brake on his car and there was a trail of smoke billowing behind us (we didn't notice because we were pretty busy getting the party started). The local "officials" wanted him to open the trunk because they thought just maybe we had something in their they could steal.

Of course, he didn't have the trunk key (early 70s Mercury). They made us sit there while another GI went all the way back to the house to get the key (we had flagged them down going the other way). We knew it was going to take at least an hour, so we set up our beach party right there on the side of the road. It was a ton of fun watching those idiots in their heavy uniforms with their bloused boots sweating buckets while we sucked down $7 a case Corona and wolfed down some food.

Fuggers. Like I said, I don't need much of an excuse to party. Best part of it all was when my other buddy finally showed up with the key, they opened the trunk and found...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

NOTHING. Not a thing. But our buddy had brought back a couple of SPs to make sure the scummers didn't pull anything untoward. Ah, serving my Uncle in a foriegn land...

Glass is half full baby.  Half full.  Plus, I'm Irish.  Don't need much of an excuse to party.

Got pulled over one time in one of them Spanglish speaking Central American countries because my dumbass buddy forgot to disengage the parking brake on his car and there was a trail of smoke billowing behind us (we didn't notice because we were pretty busy getting the party started).  The local "officials" wanted him to open the trunk because they thought just maybe we had something in their they could steal. 

Of course, he didn't have the trunk key (early 70s Mercury).  They made us sit there while another GI went all the way back to the house to get the key (we had flagged them down going the other way).  We knew it was going to take at least an hour, so we set up our beach party right there on the side of the road.  It was a ton of fun watching those idiots in their heavy uniforms with their bloused boots sweating buckets while we sucked down $7 a case Corona and wolfed down some food. 

Fuggers.  Like I said, I don't need much of an excuse to party.  Best part of it all was when my other buddy finally showed up with the key, they opened the trunk and found...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

NOTHING.  Not a thing.  But our buddy had brought back a couple of SPs to make sure the scummers didn't pull anything untoward.  Ah, serving my Uncle in a foriegn land...

329587[/snapback]

:lol:

SP - Panama?

If your vehicle smoked, you would be stopped anywhere but the polar caps!

I thought it ment "five with mayonaise"

i'm all about having an excuse to drink.  but to me, the history of Cinco De Mayo just isn't enough.  Cinco De Mayo celebrates Mexico's defeat of France in 1862, with some help from us Americans. 

Defeating the French just doesn't seem like a big day to me.  Maybe its my English and German heiritages speaking, because we call those days weekdays 0:)

329518[/snapback]