Yawn...another "JP will struggle" article

Well we have another NFL expert predicting a step backward for the Bills because (drumroll, please) "JP LOSMAN WILL STRUGGLE!"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5050300633.html

This time it's Mensa candidate Mark Maske of the Washington Post. Mark makes the bold assertion that since this is JP's first year, he will struggle because (drumroll, please) ALL 1ST YEAR NFL QB's STRUGGLE!" He even claims Carson Palmer of the Benglas will be better because he has a year under his belt, as if the NFL is some sort of assembly line.

I guess it's unfair to pick on Mark. I'm sure he does his research like any other NFL writer...he reads ESPN.COM. But this guy does not attend the camps, talks to the players, gets a feel for who these guys are. (maybe with the Redskins)

So when I read this stuff, it means absolutely ZIPPO to me. Remember, most of these guys make their 2005 predictions by looking at the 2004 standings.

PTR

While the "step backward" is an undeniable part of his article, there's a lot of other stuff in it as well. It's tough to blame someone for spoouting "conventional wisdom." The plain truth is that first time starters at QB struggle more often than not, and their teams struggle with them. We're all hopeful he won't. We have some evidence on our side. Most highly rated QBs starting for the first time play for bad teams. There is evidence that the Bills have surrounded Losman with a lot of talent and there are relatively holes in the team. I think the coaching staff assembled by the Bills is just about ideal for a young QB. The evidence suggests that Losman not only has an abundance of natural talent, but is even more dedicated to success than we hoped when the Bills drafted him. Still, until or unless Losman does it on the field he, and we, will continue to be subjected to "conventional wisdom."

the logic may be unoriginal, but it's probably going to be accurate as well

327434[/snapback]

Actually, I thought it was a pretty good article that provided a reasonable perspective on what we can expect. We'd like more (and hope for it), but a dose of reality may be in order now and th <_< en.

Well we have another NFL expert predicting a step backward for the Bills because (drumroll, please) "JP LOSMAN WILL STRUGGLE!"

This time it's Mensa candidate Mark Maske of the Washington Post.  Mark makes the bold assertion that since this is JP's first year, he will struggle because (drumroll, please) ALL 1ST YEAR NFL QB's STRUGGLE!"  He even claims Carson Palmer of the Benglas will be better because he has a year under his belt, as if the NFL is some sort of assembly line. 

I guess it's unfair to pick on Mark.  I'm sure he does his research like any other NFL writer...he reads ESPN.COM.  But this guy does not attend the camps, talks to the players, gets a feel for who these guys are. (maybe with the Redskins) 

So when I read this stuff, it means absolutely ZIPPO to me.  Remember, most of these guys make their 2005 predictions by looking at the 2004 standings.

PTR

327407[/snapback]

Oh man LOL! When haven't rookie QB's struggled? He will for a time just like every other before him. Look up the stats of even the HOF in their rookies seasons.

I thought that was a very fair and balanced analysis, especially the comparison of JP to Palmer in Cincy.  I've seen much worse from higher profile writers.

327420[/snapback]

I held the same thought. We can't become hypersensative to softball articles like that. Losman is unproven and only time will tell on his degree of success. I'm still looking at the upcoming season in a very positive light.

That article wasn't out of line whatsoever.

The only thing I can say is that going to JP was the right move for we weren't going anywhere with Drew as he often made crucial mistakes that a younger QB would,; not what you would expect from a seasoned vet. Now Drew didn't throw a lot of picks but he was often indecisive, fumbled or took a sack at the wrong time in a game and point blank was never consistent outside his first 8 games in 2002. He lacked fundamentals;couldn't perform a believable play-fake to save his life. So who knows how JP will perform but unless he LOSES games by turning the ball over I don't see how he can be much worse than Drew because for the last 2 years our passing game has been ranked in the bottom 5-7 for the past two years even while having a good running attack and decent WR's. We don't have too much farther to fall so even if JP doesn't set the league on fire the only way anybody could say it would be better if we had Drew could be if we finsh 26th or worse in passing stats or the kid throws 15+ int's; I'll bet he takes fewer sacks and runs for more first downs!

I held the same thought. We can't become hypersensative to softball articles like that. Losman is unproven and only time will tell on his degree of success. I'm still looking at the upcoming season in a very positive light.

That article wasn't out of line whatsoever.

327674[/snapback]

Sure it is. It didn't paint the new Bills Super hero as an instant HOF'er.

:doh:

This time it's Mensa candidate Mark Maske of the Washington Post. 

I guess it's unfair to pick on Mark.  I'm sure he does his research like any other NFL writer...he reads ESPN.COM.  But this guy does not attend the camps, talks to the players, gets a feel for who these guys are. (maybe with the Redskins) 

So when I read this stuff, it means absolutely ZIPPO to me.  Remember, most of these guys make their 2005 predictions by looking at the 2004 standings.

PTR

327407[/snapback]

Do not know where you live, but Maske is one of the better beat reporters in the country. He did such a good job covering the O's for three years, he got the promotion to the Skins role a few years ago. And that is a big deal in Washington, where the Skins rule. This is not the Buffalo News the guy is writing for, its the Washington Post, the second most influential paper in the free world!!!

Me thinks it unwise to judge the messanger when he delivers a message you do not want to hear.

to compare him to palmer is dumb. JP is not in palmers arm class - but palmer is not in JP's scrambling class. palmer throws a perfect ball and is jim kelly PART II. JP is a run for your life - exiciting live on the edge scrambler. cincy and the bills are similiar in offenses and coaching, so i see where the guy picks palmer and JP to compare. rudy = willis, chad j = moulds, there hodgepodge OL = our hodgepodge OL, they have a white speed edge high motor rusher smith, we have shoebel; but our defense is stouter and we got better depth all over the field.

masky is tony cornheiser's boy.

This time it's Mensa candidate Mark Maske of the Washington Post.  Mark makes the bold assertion that since this is JP's first year, he will struggle because (drumroll, please) ALL 1ST YEAR NFL QB's STRUGGLE!"  He even claims Carson Palmer of the Benglas will be better because he has a year under his belt, as if the NFL is some sort of assembly line. 

PTR

327407[/snapback]

The prophets of doom are just as full of it as those gushing praise for his every fart. We don't know diddly one way or the other. You have to see it on the field, in a game. That is when we will know what we have in young Mr. Losman.

I thought that was a very fair and balanced analysis, especially the comparison of JP to Palmer in Cincy.  I've seen much worse from higher profile writers.

327420[/snapback]

I agree. I myself think that Losman will be a cog in the Bills being better than 9-7 in 2005, but pointing out the pitfalls of going with a kid who has thrown 5 NFL passes isn't being negative, it's being balanced.