Really happy for Harry Phillips and Ed Oliver…

eball

8 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m sorry to be that guy but Ed Oliver hasn’t lived up to anywhere near his draft level. That doesn’t mean he isn’t playing well this year or isn’t a nice guy but he’s not been the impact player you’d expect from a guy picked that high. (Of course he doesn’t choose when he’s picked so is it really his ‘fault’?)

Here is the thing though...draft slot stops mattering the moment the draft is over.  After that, its just about what you do on the field.  There is this fanbase notion that if taken in the top 10 said player needs to be elite to avoid being seen as a bust, at least in relation to their "draft slot".  But I don't see it that way.

For me, if a player becomes a good starter, then thats a hit regardless of where they were selected.  And I think its safe to say he has grown into a good starter this year and would start on more teams than he wouldn't in the NFL right now.  I think he had some unfair expectations (lots of Aaron Donald comparisons) when he was drafted, and sure, maybe he hasn't hit those, but he has still become a very important part of our team and looking like a long term player here.  

And I think he is still going to keep getting better too.  

I am not paying Harry starter money but if he wants to stay and take backup DT money do like him as a role player who can step in and not kill team with his play. I would still be looking to upgrade position and put someone next to Ed who can eat double teams and is strong against the run. I would move on from guys like Star and Butler next year. Availability is key and Star just hasn't been dependable. Butler can't even get on the field so that is an easy choice.

Edited by billieve420

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.