Wanna see how tough Parrish is

RVJ

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy that speared him was Stanford Samuels. I saw a story that mentioned Samuels "returned to the game in the third quarter," so I guess he was shook up too.

Here's a little news thingy on the injury:

http://theacc.collegesports.com/sports/m-f.../101403aag.html

Miami Receiver Released From Hospital After Brutal Hit At Florida State

Three days after collision with FSU cornerback Samuels, Parrish appears OK.

Oct 13, 2003

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) - Miami receiver Roscoe Parrish was released from a Tallahassee hospital Monday, two days after a brutal hit caused internal bleeding.

Parrish, one of the team's top playmakers, left Saturday's game against Florida State in the second quarter after cornerback Stanford Samuels knocked him to the ground on a crossing route. He was taken to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital and placed in the intensive care unit.

Coach Larry Coker said Monday that Parrish initially had blood in his urine, a sign of internal bleeding. But tests later revealed that Parrish was OK.

"The prognosis is good," Coker said. "Roscoe feels a lot better. He's pretty sore. I think I would be more than pretty sore if I took a hit like that. We feel very good about his complete recovery."

Coker said Parrish would be re-examined upon his return, but he doesn't expect the 5-foot-9, 157-pound receiver from Miami to practice Tuesday.

Parrish's helmet was knocked off on the jarring hit. He tried to walk off the field under his own power but was wobbly and dropped to a knee. He was down for several minutes before being helped to the locker room. He complained of pains in his chest and abdomen, Coker said.

Posted on Sat, Dec. 27, 2003

Back in action

BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

sdegnan@herald.com

Roscoe Parrish's mother, Regina Conley, offered Roscoe prudent advice for the FedEx Orange Bowl game Thursday against Florida State.

''When you get the ball in your hands,'' Conley instructed the University of Miami's tiniest receiver, ``run for your life.'' :blink:

Who can blame her?

The last thing Conley wants to do is spend another two nights in a hospital cardiovascular intensive-care unit while her son lies in critical condition.

''I've already begun praying,'' said Conley, a teacher's aide at Riviera Day Care and Prep School in South Miami. ``I know FSU will be ready, so I'm praying the best team wins and nobody gets hurt.''

Parrish is praying, too -- that the Hurricanes defeat the Seminoles again, and that this time he finishes the game instead of being rushed to the hospital semiconscious while spitting up blood.

'Coach Coker said to me, `Are you going to make the whole game?' '' the sophomore said. 'He was just joking around. But I said, `Yeah, Coach. I'm ready.' ''

On Oct. 11 in Tallahassee, Parrish bruised his lung and suffered internal bleeding early in the second quarter when he attempted to catch a high pass thrown by Miami quarterback Brock Berlin from the FSU 14-yard line. The pass was off target, and Seminoles cornerback Stanford Samuels drilled Parrish in the chest, leaving the 5-9, 170-pound receiver on the turf in a downpour for several minutes.

''I know it's football, but I don't think he had to hit him like that,'' said Conley, who was in the rest room during the play but has seen the replay repeatedly. ``He was hit so hard that you could see the rain fly off him and he flew back like a little rag doll.''

The next night, Samuels, who went to Miami Carol City High while Parrish was at Miami Senior, told The Herald by phone, ``I pray it's not as serious as it sounds. We're from the same neighborhood.''

`A GOOD, BIG HIT'

Parrish said he has no ill feelings toward Samuels.

''I know he's from the hood right around here,'' Parrish said. ``That's the only thing I know about Stanford Samuels. I don't have anything against him because this is a football game. He was trying to make the tackle. He didn't know it was going to go down like that.

``He just made a good, big hit.'' :angry:

Fellow Canes can't forget.

''I was scared,'' receiver Kevin Beard said. ``When a teammate goes down, your heart goes out to him. A lot of times the smallest people in the world are the toughest because they've had to fight their whole life to prove themselves. '`Roscoe has proven himself already. He'll be on the next level, believe that.''

UM coach Larry Coker thought so the first time he saw Parrish play at a UM summer camp. ''I got the [uM] job on Saturday, and he was the first guy I called Saturday night,'' Coker said. 'I saw him in five plays and said, `That guy! That's the kind of guy [we] want.' He's explosive. He has fun playing. He's not big, but he catches touchdown passes and looks like Randy Moss to me.''

Receivers coach Curtis Johnson tried to convince former coach Butch Davis to give the agile, fleet-footed Parrish a scholarship, but Johnson said Davis ``always liked big guys.

''In high school [as a running quarterback], Roscoe was magnificent,'' Johnson said. ``You couldn't tackle him. You couldn't touch him.''

No wonder Parrish is enthralled with Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

''I love Michael Vick,'' Parrish said, his face lighting up. ``I just love watching him play. I'd like to be [Ron Mexico's] wide receiver.''

He has two more years to work on it.

wow, he got leveled

325636[/snapback]

Yeah, by a player about his size. Let's see what happens to him when he gets leveled by some big time NFL safety. And where's the footage of him actually getting up?

Yeah, by a player about his size.  Let's see what happens to him when he gets leveled by some big time NFL safety.  And where's the footage of him actually getting up?

326357[/snapback]

I'm guessing you're referencing Rodney "Cheapshot Artist" Harrison?

Yeah, by a player about his size.  Let's see what happens to him when he gets leveled by some big time NFL safety.  And where's the footage of him actually getting up?

326357[/snapback]

Samuels is listed at 5'10, 193 which is not that small for an NFL DB.

I seem to remember a tiny wide out take one of the most bone-jarring hits I've ever seen in the Florida State game. Don't rember if it was last year or the year before. I think it was RP. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I seem to remember a tiny wide out take one of the most bone-jarring hits I've ever seen in the Florida State game.  Don't rember if it was last year or the year before.  I think it was RP.  Anybody know what I'm talking about?

331624[/snapback]

Yes, it was. There was a thread with link to the video of the hit posted a week or so ago.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...hl=tough+roscoe

Ok, so we all agree, big hit, probably not a legal hit, but Parrish didnt get up, and from my recollection, even Samuels was a little bit wobbly afterwards.

So, the point of this thread is now null and void. Sorry.

Looking at the play again, The pass wasn't perfect, but it goes right through his arms. Its the kind of pass you need to catch in the NFL. Stop putting a positive spin on that play. The only good part of that was that both players are healthy afterwards. Berlin: Bad pass. Parrish: Shoulda caught it. Samuels: Bad tackle.

Looking at the play again, The pass wasn't perfect, but it goes right through his arms. Its the kind of pass you need to catch in the NFL. Stop putting a positive spin on that play. The only good part of that was that both players are healthy afterwards. Berlin: Bad pass. Parrish: Shoulda caught it. Samuels: Bad tackle.

Sorry but a wet and wobbly ball usually will NOT be caught more often than not. It's hard enough to catch a wet spiral coming out at full speed, add wobble to it and it's a spectacular catch. And Parrish seemed to catch the ball well in mini-camp.

332334[/snapback]

Yep...let's call Roscoe a bust 'cause he dropped a pass in a rain storm that was caught on a video clip that you happended to see. Right. LOL! <_<

Yep...let's call Roscoe a bust 'cause he dropped a pass in a rain storm that was caught on a video clip that you happended to see.  Right.  LOL! <_<

332342[/snapback]

Dont put words in my mouth, that's not at all what I said. Now if you're going to be like that, I hope he stinks like Josh Reed.