Do you think J.P will be like Vick?

The_Real

I've come to the realization I am not an optimist. I didn't realize it until yesterday. I'll take my beating like everyone else.

Anyways,

I was watching some Footage on Vick and man that guy has a cannon. Yet, I always see him tuck and run with a bit of pressure. All of the NFL commentators talk about the cannon that J.P has. Do you think he will do the same thing?

In the preseason last year I seen him take off alot, and I fear that. Not putting him in Vick's category just yet, but I question the durability of a qb with that mentality. Not to say that doesn't make for some really exciting plays. Vick is my favorite player in the league to watch and if Losman can generate even half the excitement that Vick does, this team will be alot of fun this year.

Do you think the durability is something to worry about?

T_R

I've come to the realization I am not an optimist.  I didn't realize it until yesterday.  I'll take my beating like everyone else. 

Anyways,

I was watching some Footage on Vick and man that guy has a cannon.  Yet, I always see him tuck and run with a bit of pressure.  All of the NFL commentators talk about the cannon that J.P has.  Do you think he will do the same thing? 

In the preseason last year I seen him take off alot, and I fear that.  Not putting him in Vick's category just yet, but I question the durability of a qb with that mentality.  Not to say that doesn't make for some really exciting plays.  Vick is my favorite player in the league to watch and if Losman can generate even half the excitement that Vick does, this team will be alot of fun this year. 

Do you think the durability is something to worry about?  

T_R

323712[/snapback]

That's a concern. Because of lack of NFL experience, we will likely see him take off. That's part of the learning process. I'm not worried about that, but I will give pause if he takes the sacks that are often drive killers rather than heaving it out of bounds or taking a chance even though an interception may result. I'm amazed at the fair number of established NFL qb's that don't pitch the ball away when under duress.

I don't suppose there is a durability problem - a freak collision in camp last year is all. No history of frailty that I'm aware of.

Should be a nail-biting first 6 games or so...

1.Vick is much more elusive and explosive as a runner than JP.

2.Vick is a terrible passer, therefore, he is always looking to run.

3.Based on 1 & 2, the answer to your question is no. JP will not be like Vick. JP will keep many a drives alive with his scrambling/running ability, but hopefully it will be on an as needed basis only.

Well hey -- that's just about Roscoe and Evrett's score combined!

Vick may be able to throw the ball through a brick wall, but it better be a really big brick wall to make sure he actually hits it. 

I think he scored a 20 on his wonderlic.

323729[/snapback]

Agreed, I was just tryin to be funny.

I'm not super concerned about receivers/TEs having a high wonderlic.  QB is another story altogether.  Difference between warehouseman and CEO, of you will.

323740[/snapback]

Based on what I've read/heard, if JP does end up unable to stay in the pocket and let the play develop then it won't be because our coaching staff (specifically Wyche) didn't prepare him. The approach seems to be that if they make him comfortable with as many scenarios as possible then he won't take off and give up on the play prematurely. I doubt they are trying to force him into the mold of a pocket passer (which would be a mistake at this point in his career) but they want to make scrambling an option only in cases A, F, and J (if you get my drift).

Make him aware of his options and he will use them. Scrambling will be one of those options...it just won't be the immediate reaction.

That's my impression of the idea anyway. No telling until he experiences it for real.

No comment on Vick though...I can't tell if I love or hate the way the guy plays from game-to-game.

Hopefully Sam Wyche can tutor him on all the reasons when/why he should

A)stay in the pocket,

B)scramble out of the pocket to buy more time,

C)scramble for yardage.

Looking at Vick, he doesn't seem to scramble to buy more time, he scrambles to get positive yardage.

If JP can be taught when it is ok to go, it will help him immensly, a good deal of it is instinct as well, not that I'm a huge Flutie fan, but he always knew when the pressure was coming and could duck out of the way.

I'm sure JP is being drilled on film about what / when the reciever on a particular play should be open, if that time has passed, he looks down to his next guy, if coverage is there, look to the the third outlet, if it isn't there, it's ok to go.

It will certainly be an entertaining start of the season, I just hope he doesn't get off to a good start.

1.Vick is much more elusive and explosive as a runner than JP.

2.Vick is a terrible passer, therefore, he is always looking to run.

3.Based on 1 & 2, the answer to your question is no.  JP will not be like Vick.  JP will keep many a drives alive with his scrambling/running ability, but hopefully it will be on an as needed basis only.

323726[/snapback]

I agree with 3. especially if the Bills are able to stretch the field.

Even Jim Kelly who ran like a sloth with cement shoes gained

1000 yards running lifetime thanks to the K gun and spreading the field.

Agreed, I was just tryin to be funny.

323741[/snapback]

Everytime this kind of thing comes up, I'm taken back to the scene in "The Program" (I think that was the movie). One of the linebackers is failing every class (dude can't READ) but when they are breaking down film he knows every key and responsibility. That's why things like wonderlic probably don't matter all that much because if someone really likes something, they can learn it. We're not talking fission here.

I figured you were being funny. 0:)

I don't think so - Vick doesn't have Willis McGahee and Travis Henry in his backfield.

If JP tries to run with those kinds of weapons around him, then he deserves the consequences (God forbid)

I don't think so - Vick doesn't have Willis McGahee and Travis Henry in his backfield.

If JP tries to run with those kinds of weapons around him, then he deserves the consequences (God forbid)

323751[/snapback]

Vick's backfield is pretty good, to be honest. They'd be even better if he was a credible passing threat.

I heard they were going to try the alarm clock thing again this year.  Every time JP takes off without properly running through his reads he gets smacked upside the head with a Big Ben.

323766[/snapback]

The alarm clock went to Dallas with you know who! 0:)

Listening to the post-draft interviews, it appeared to me as though Evrett does indeed have some form of intelligence up there. Roscoe, on the other hand, sounded like a complete moron. I would pay good money to sit down with the Miami boyz (Roscoe, Willis, Evrett) for a few beers -- I think the combined intelligence of 3 is less than that of the average 7 year old. Pretty hilarious.

Everytime this kind of thing comes up, I'm taken back to the scene in "The Program" (I think that was the movie).  One of the linebackers is failing every class (dude can't READ) but when they are breaking down film he knows every key and responsibility.  That's why things like wonderlic probably don't matter all that much because if someone really likes something, they can learn it.  We're not talking fission here.

I figured you were being funny.  0:)

323750[/snapback]

Listening to the post-draft interviews, it appeared to me as though Evrett does indeed have some form of intelligence up there. Roscoe, on the other hand, sounded like a complete moron.  I would pay good money to sit down with the Miami boyz (Roscoe, Willis, Evrett) for a few beers -- I think the combined intelligence of 3 is less than that of the average 7 year old.  Pretty hilarious.

323815[/snapback]

Just a bet, but If you score under 15 on the Wonderlik

there is a very good chance that you can't read.

Just a bet, but If you score under 15 on the Wonderlik

there is a very good chance that you can't read.

323824[/snapback]

I think this whole wonderlic test is overrated. Some people generally don't test well, not that they're dumb, just that they don't comprehend anmswers as fast as others, even though they could come up with the same answer that someone else did. However that doesn't mean they're dumber than the person who finishes before them or smarter than the people who finish after them.

I don't care what roscoe parrish, kevin everett, willis mcgahee or any other player from Miami got on a wonderlic test. Football Players from Miami have proven they can flat out play football. They practice hard, play hard, are used to winning. I'd take players from "THE U" anyday.

Now about this thread. I don't get the obsession with Mike Vick. I still think the chargers fleeced atl on this trade, as I'd much rather have ladanian tomlinson than mike vick. Also if Drew Brees has another season like last year he'll have proven at least in my book that he's a better "QUATERBACK" than Vick. The chargers are building something special. The falcons on the other hand. While Vick is a great athlete I question his accuracy and his durability. He has not shown the ability to stay healthy. He's also shown he's not all there upstairs. "I Have two weapons my arms, my legs, and my brain" 0:) and "RON MEXICO" ;)

If JP has the legs of Mike Vick thats fine, however I hope JP turns out to be a much better quaterback. If JP turns out like any running quaterback I hope it's Steve Young without the concussion problemss. I'm not comparing him to young, I'm just saying Young could kill you with his legs or his arm, and he knew when to do what. If JP learns to do that than we'll be in damned good shape for years to come.