Don’t miss running down the clock in the first half!

Jammer8732

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep and this has always been my issue with the people who say "the numbers say you should go for it because X% convert". The teams with better offenses go for it more than the teams with bad offenses. They are not good offenses because they go for 4th downs. They go for 4th downs because they are good offenses. It's the same with points before the half. 13 points up at home with pretty much every other Quarterback of my fandom and under 30 seconds to go you might run a draw and see if you can pop one for 15-20 yards against a team expecting a pass and then try one shot to get into FG range, but you are not coming out throwing it straight away because the likelihood of something bad happening is higher. 

This was my issue early in the McD time as coach.  People complained he was ultra conservative, but they were a bad offense.  

Fans would point out that the 4th down conversion rate was nearly 50% and aggressive/winning coaches like Pederson were going for it a ton and in unfavorable situations- like their own side of the 50.  My argument against going for it - was how bad that team was on third downs and the 4th downs in general.  

Once they got the QB and showed they could make plays - that is the time to be aggressive.  Once you have options - you can push the envelope more and be successful.

The same goes for the plays just before the half.  If you have a bad offense that struggles- it is better to be conservative and take your lead in than give up something bad, but once you get that QB - man the things you can do.  That time just before the half - when defense back off a bit - can also help get a QB in a rhythm - if they are out of sync. 

I love seeing the aggression now that we have the players to do it.

19 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Up until last year no one would’ve blamed McDermott For just taking a knee there-no QB in years had earned the trust of the head coach to try and get in field goal range. It’s obvious Josh has earned that trust and he showed why. There’s no question at this point that Josh is in the same category as Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, and Wilson 

With only 26 seconds, you also need to have a QB with an arm to pull that off.  Besides the ones you mentioned, Allen is one of the few who can do that.