Bills 2021 Draft - Overall Assessment

Bills 2021 Draft Grade  

403 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial overall grade of the Bills 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • T (for trees). Just kidding. Had to go there!

7 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Well, you are correct that I didn’t want Rousseau...I did not think he was BPA...the way the board fell to us, I wanted one of:

JOK

Barmore 

Moore

Tryon

...or trade back...

Those are all top players.  I think it's a point that if you look at the way Zierlein grades for NFL.com, J-OK graded higher, but we now know there was a medical concern which pushed him down almost a round. 

The rest are pretty close together - within 0.2.  That means it's entirely plausible that while you didn't think he was BPA, the Bills talent evaluators did.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best draft of my lifetime.  They had a clear, sane strategy that makes perfect sense in today’s NFL where (i) you’ve got a franchise QB about to take up a big chunk of the cap; (ii) you need depth at

I like this draft because I see the intelligence of everything McBeane do.   They're confident and competent.  They're fearless.  They know what they want.   They know they aren't going to solve every

Overall my impression of this offseason in general, not just the draft:   Beane to DL and DL coach:  "You guys had better light your fires and get after the QB, or you're outta here and we'l

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed. 

McDermott's mouth said "we have full confidence in Isaiah McKenzie to take over for Cole" but when you play a guy with an actual broken leg in 3 playoff games over his backup, well, your actions speak loudly.

My point was I think they view Diggs and Sanders as more interchangeable than you might think, and I think they view having Sanders and Cole on the field together as a way to free Diggs to play deeper....but you're absolutely right that having a backup plan for Beasley's route-running vocabulary played into it.

Great posts about the receivers, Hap.   McKenzie has never impressed me as a receiving threat (it baffles me how he and Roberts can return the kicks the way they do and can't learn to be better receivers), and the point about McKenzie not taking over when Cole was injured is telling.   I'm sure McDermott is hoping Stevenson will be immediate competition for Isaiah - the Bills could use some flash, especially since Brown is gone, and I don't think McKenzie is the guy.    

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Great posts about the receivers, Hap.   McKenzie has never impressed me as a receiving threat (it baffles me how he and Roberts can return the kicks the way they do and can't learn to be better receivers), and the point about McKenzie not taking over when Cole was injured is telling.   I'm sure McDermott is hoping Stevenson will be immediate competition for Isaiah - the Bills could use some flash, especially since Brown is gone, and I don't think McKenzie is the guy.    

Heh.  McKenzie's draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaiah-mckenzie/32004d43-4b25-0948-8027-d3dafaef3cae

McKenzie's big play production is impressive on paper, but once you get into the tape, it becomes apparent that much of what he is able to accomplish is due to mismatched speed in space and packaged plays tailored towards his strengths. As a receiver, he is below the mark of what teams will expect from their slots in terms of route-running, but his explosive return ability could land him work right away.

I would say that McKenzie is one of those guys who basically was able to rely on his athleticism in college and never had to focus on polishing his abilities to fake DBs out of their cleats the way Diggs can, and probably never had a lot of coaching attention helping him develop. 

The interesting thing about McKenzie is that to my eyes, he is learning to be a better receiver - he got a TON better last season as a WR and it showed in how the Bills used him.  Yes, he was still running those Jet sweeps and reverses, but he was actually on the field running routes and succeeding with them at times.  Coaching matters.  The quality of the other WR you're training with matters.  As evidence, I offer you Week 17 of last season when he ran enough routes to be charted:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/isaiah-mckenzie/MCK250948/2020/17/route

image.thumb.png.967d91afa61dbcbf4eb8a80ab02f9bfb.png

Just looking at the chart, you can see the difference.  Compare to say, Week 15 in 2018.  He's running actual routes now, and while he still has work to do, he's running them capably.   In fact looking at a couple of those, you could see the DB getting toasted.

The question is, will he continue to develop or has he reached a plateau?

McKenzie's Instagram feed is chock full of shots of him working out hard, and his athleticism is just off the charts.  He had one of him doing 48" box jumps then like 36" box jumps - one legged and holding a medicine ball.  He's only 68" tall.  On and on, he's just a Dawg for training.

Now, a guy's insta feed doesn't necessarily show a good picture of what he's doing, but in contrast, Diggs insta feed is full of him working on those sudden cuts and changes of direction - basically honing the muscle memories and skills he uses to de-cleat professional NFL athletes on a regular basis.

It makes me wish McKenzie would go train at the same place Diggs uses, which is "Receiver Factory".  Motto: "Won't get you Stronger, won't get you Faster, Will get you Open".  (Of course Diggs works on the Stronger and Faster parts too). 

Unfortunately for McKenzie, he's apparently a big-ass trash talker ("small man syndrome", Addison said) and I think he may put some people's back up a bit where they're still helpful, but a little bit less inclined to take him under their wing.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Heh.  McKenzie's draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaiah-mckenzie/32004d43-4b25-0948-8027-d3dafaef3cae

I would say that McKenzie is one of those guys who basically was able to rely on his athleticism in college and never had to focus on polishing his abilities to fake DBs out of their cleats the way Diggs can, and probably never had a lot of coaching attention helping him develop. 

The interesting thing about McKenzie is that to my eyes, he got a TON better last season as a WR and it showed in how the Bills used him.  Yes, he was still running those Jet sweeps and reverses, but he was actually on the field running routes and succeeding with them.  Coaching matters.  The quality of the other WR you're training with matters.

McKenzie's Instagram feed is chock full of shots of him working out hard, and his athleticism is just off the charts.  He had one of him doing 48" box jumps then like 36" box jumps - one legged and holding a medicine ball.  He's only 68" tall.  On and on, he's just a Dawg for training.

Now, a guy's insta feed doesn't necessarily show a good picture of what he's doing, but in contrast, Diggs insta feed is full of him working on those sudden cuts and changes of direction - basically honing the muscle memories and skills he uses to de-cleat professional NFL athletes on a regular basis.

It makes me wish McKenzie would go train at the same place Diggs uses, which is "Receiver Factory".  Motto: "Won't get you Stronger, won't get you Faster, Will get you Open".  (Of course Diggs works on the Stronger and Faster parts too)

Thanks.  I agree about all of this.  Incredible that his draft profile nailed it like that.   Perfect. 

And I agree about last season.   He made plays as a receiver I hadn't seen in earlier seasons.  

And your comments about his workouts dovetail with main.   How does a guy with those natural skills not learn the things he needs to do with the natural skills to become a weapon?   He may be trying and just can't do it.   Or maybe he isn't getting the right advice.  I mean, someone told Spencer Brown to work out with Joe Staley; what's McKenzie doing. 

A bit out of left field, but related.  I heard JJ Redick interviewed one time.  He said when he was in high school, he didn't think he was going to play in college, and then he became a bigtime recruit.  Then, in his junior year in college he was looking at business schools, because he thought his career was over, and then the NBA called.   When he made it as a rookie, he surprised himself.   During his rookie season, he sought out a current or former veteran and asked him what Redick needed to do to stay in the league.   The guy said work out every off season, but don't just work out.   Learn to do something knew every off-season, something you can incorporate into your game that will make you a better and different player.   Redick said in the interview that that is exactly what he's done.   He's added skills, year after year.  

It would be great if McKenzie took another step this season.  

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Well, you are correct that I didn’t want Rousseau...I did not think he was BPA...the way the board fell to us, I wanted one of:

JOK

Barmore 

Moore

Tryon

...or trade back...

Whereas Moore or Tryon at #30 would have had me scratching my skin off....

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Whereas Moore or Tryon at #30 would have had me scratching my skin off....

Right, and now that we know there was a late-flagged medical issue with J-OK that may have made the Bills nervous in this abnormal year, makes sense.

That leaves Barmore, who I think could legitimately be viewed as at least an equivalent player depending upon how scouts weight experience, athleticism, and potential.  There, I have to trust the Bills scouts to have done the "deep dive" into the film and say "how much of Barmore's production was due to the strong cast around him?"  and other details we don't have access to. 

The other factor there is I do think Beane goes for a need-modified BPA, and if he saw them as close, he might feel our needs were stronger at DE - especially if any interviews and background they conducted may have indicated that Barmore might not be happy at 1T despite being profiled as a fit.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Bills consider they have a logjam at WR with the guys they have signed.  I think they really like Hodgins. 

I think they may agree with Beasley that he has several more seasons in him.  You don't use a 1st round pick on a guy who's gonna sit for 1-2 seasons.  That's where you use a later round pick and hope you can develop the guy.

Their big gap was a speedy guy who can track the ball. 

If Rousseau is actually a non-athletic, 3 year project then the Bills made a mistake drafting him.

Who on the Bills WR do you think sits this year so Moore could play?  Beasley?  Sanders?  Not happening.

I just think Rousseau profiles as a redundant player to Epenesa.

Pretty good assessment of the impact the Bills draft choices have on the roster:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/winners-and-losers-on-the-bills-roster-after-the-nfl-draft/article_bdd697dc-acf3-11eb-9909-7fb349df59ed.html

Winners:

Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson

The Bills still could sign a veteran cornerback lingering on the market. Richard Sherman, Casey Hayward, Gareon Conley are some of the players available. But even if they do, a veteran signed off the street at this point isn’t going to present as big a challenge as a first- or second-round draft pick.

Devin Singletary and Zach Moss

Dawson Knox

Harrison Phillips (NT)
Morse and Feliciano

Losers:

Mario Addison, DEs, and Zimmer

The defensive line numbers game is going to be a subject of discussion for months. The Bills kept 10 defensive linemen last season. There now are 12 defensive linemen on the roster who are either longtime starters, played significant NFL roles last season or were prime draft picks.

At defensive end: Jerry Hughes, Addison, Rousseau, Basham, A.J. Epenesa, Darryl Johnson and Obada.

At defensive tackle: Lotulelei, Ed Oliver, Vernon Butler, Phillips and Zimmer.

The Bills do not need to make any moves until September. In fact, it behooves them to wait. If someone suffers a significant injury, the decision gets easier. Zimmer was the fourth defensive tackle last year, but he’s fifth with the return of Lotulelei. It will be hard to keep five DTs.

Bobby Hart, Forrest Lamp and Jamil Douglas

Josh Thomas (backup safety, with drafting of Damar Hamlin)  - but the Bills did lose backup safety Dean Marlowe and did not replace him in FA)

Isaiah McKenzie (because of drafting Marquez Stevenson)

Thoughts?

At TE, Gaughan says "Dawson Knox" but seems to me Jacob Hollister, Reggie Gilliam, Tommy Sweeney and Nate Becker should be included there.  Knox is the head of the current depth chart, and a rookie was always going to come into the season behind him, but the guys at the back of the roster could get pushed off.

At Center/Guard, Gaughan says only "veteran depth" behind them - but I think the Bills really like Bates and Boettger.  I don't think their positions changed that much)

At OT, yes, there's a logjam and I agree Hart is likely to be gone with the drafting of Spencer Brown.  But I'm puzzled by putting Lamp and Douglas in there, but not mentioning Jordan Devey.  Drafting 2 OTs doesn't necessarily move a guard off the spot?

Gaughan gets fixated on cutting certain guys while failing to mention others.  He seems to have moved on from Morse to Addison.  But he doesn't mention Hughes.

I think in general, the logjam at WR deserves mention and not just singling out McKenzie.    The top guys Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, and Davis are probably fixed.  But we signed Brandon Powell, presumably to compete at KR/PR with McKenzie.  McKenzie has a leg-up in that he's got a role on offense.  How does Isaiah Hodgins, last year's sixth round pick, fit in there?  And do any of the guys we tendered like Jake Kumerow, Duke Williams, or Josh Allen buddy Tanner Gentry have a shot?