DaQuan Jones a backup 1 technique addition

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sorry, man, but that's just utter nonsense.

McDermott has now had Star as his space eater for years. The reason that's so is very very simple. He's good at it. No, he's not good at penetrating or rushing or running up stats. Fans want that when they see the salary. But McDermott knew what he needed, knew what Star provided in Carolina and went out and signed him.

The Bills have made it as plain as possible that they like him.

You don't. Fine, whatever. But they do, which is the point.

Doesn't mean they won't draft someone to platoon, learn from him and take over as he ages. They easily might. But they like Star no matter what you think.

So I have never liked Star as much as you. I get what his role is and he is a decent middle of the league 1 tech. I don't think he is a top level player even at what he is asked to do. Did the Bills see some drop off without him? Yep, absolutely, because while Star is a legitimate, proven NFL starting 1 tech they tried to replace him with a combination of out of position 3 techs, practise squad players and Harrison Phillips off a serious injury who was really, really bad. 

If Star walks back in and picks up where he left off in 2019 they will be back to having a serviceable starter. But they still have zero depth behind him and, crucially, I am not sure the Bills should have all their eggs in the basket of expecting a fat man after a year of no football to just walk back in and pick up where he left off. That feels to me like an almighty chance being taken. I think they need some sort of insurance policy and, at the very least, a guy to compete with Phillips for a spot on the roster behind Star. I expect them to take a 1 tech in this draft. It won't be before round 3 (or at least it definitely shouldn't be) and ideally it would come in round 5 or by finding their way into round 4 at some point..... but they have to find another legitimate option there. In my view they were over optimistic about Harrison coming off a serious injury last year. Making the same mistake and being over optimistic about Star coming off an opt out this year would be a bad strategy. 

I agree with most everything you said but disagree slightly on when to take a 1 Technique in the draft. You get what you pay for. In this case to think your getting a serviceable back up late in the draft is much less likely than earlier. I’m not saying first or second but third looks like a place we can get solid value in a very weak DT draft. Guys from LSU & NC State project to be there @93. Maybe even the Ohio State guy.