Breakups of 22 First Round draft pick QB's

Good article in the Athletic (behind pay wall) about 22 former first round QB's and what happened to each of them and where they are now.    Some names barely even remember.  The one somewhat surprise to me was Mark Sanchez was drafted in 2009.  If you had asked me prior to reading I would have guessed it was 20 years ago.  Seems like he's been gone forever! 

EJ Manual is one of the 22 BTW.  Surprised ole JP didn't make the list, guess they didn't want to go back quite that far.

https://theathletic.com/2419673/2021/03/02/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-breakups-carson-wentz-jared-goff-matthew-stafford/?source=dailyemail

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Good article in the Athletic (behind pay wall) about 22 former first round QB's and what happened to each of them and where they are now.    Some names barely even remember.  The one somewhat surprise to me was Mark Sanchez was drafted in 2009.  If you had asked me prior to reading I would have guessed it was 20 years ago.  Seems like he's been gone forever! 

EJ Manual is one of the 22 BTW.  Surprised ole JP didn't make the list, guess they didn't want to go back quite that far.

https://theathletic.com/2419673/2021/03/02/nfl-draft-quarterbacks-breakups-carson-wentz-jared-goff-matthew-stafford/?source=dailyemail

Some interesting names in there:  kind of glad we passed on, or didn't get a chance to take, most of them (ie: Freeman, Ponder, Lynch).

Here's an interesting thing that happened between 2016 and 2018:  Of the 11 1st round QBs the only QB not traded up for in the draft was Baker Mayfield, drafted by Cleveland where he didn't need to be traded up for.  The results.

1-Goff:  Based on the trade to Detroit and having to give up so much to unload him, the trade up was a failure, even though they made a Super Bowl with Goff.

2-Wentz: Another trade up that turned into a failure, probably due to the fact wentz has been injury prone and regressed from his 2017 season that ended with an injury.

26-Lynch: A bust that Denver regretted  trading up to draft.

2-Trubisky: A major disappointment, especially since they could have stayed put & drafted either Mahomes or Watson.

10-Mahomes: A smash hit that KC would trade for 100 times out of 100 chances.  

12-Watson:  A major success even if he never plays another down in Houston, because the Texans will either convince him to stay or they will get a lot of picks and/or players in return

1-Mayfield: The Browns had no need to trade up and finally picked a 1st round QB after trading away the picks to draft Wentz (OK) and Watson (mistake)

3-Darnold: The Jets gave up a lot to trade up for Darnold and from all the chatter, appear to believe they made a mistake.  They may trade him this offseason to a team that hopes to get more out of him than the Jets.  The fact that he is on the last year of his contract & it's unlikely his 5th year option will be picked up (unless the team that trades for him has a faith belief he's good enough to pick up that option) which diminishes his trade value.  What team would trade a 1st for 1 year of Darnold?  

7-Allen: The Bills redeemed themselves after passing on and trading the pick that KC used on Mahomes  the prior draft, getting the best QB of the class of 2018 (no homer).  Another one of the smash hits who if Tampa hadn't won the Super Bowl with Tom Brady their fans would be regretting the trade for years.

10-Rosen: One of the biggest draft busts in years.  Arizona reportedly loved our Josh, but didn't have the draft capital to compete with what the Bills had to offer.  While they quickly regretted drafting Rosen, the Cardinals were smart enough to dump him before his value went down to nothing a year later and got a 2019 2nd and a 2020 5th.  

32-Jackson: The Ravens were able to steal Jackson with a trade up with the Eagles for the last pick in the 1st round.  A year ago, after his MVP season, Jackson was thought of as the top QB of the 2018 draft before being surpassed by Josh Allen (no homer).  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 2

Good analysis.  My only quibble is Goff was a big part of LA making the SB.  I would not call a SB appearance a failure.  The Titans got a ton of draft picks but had already selected Marriota.  He then failed. Titans have been solid and a playoff team, but no SB appearance and still don't have a star at QB after that trade.