Post Draft Free Agent Signings

Two confirmed UDFA's are 1) Rob Lee, a CB from Northern Illinois, and (2) Jim Leonhard, a safety from Wisconsin. I know nothing about Lee. As a Wisconsin alum and avid fan, I know a little something about Leonhard. He is undersized, but plays big. He is a ball hawk and graduated as one the Big Ten's all-time interceptions leaders. He also excelled at punt returns, returning several for TD's over his career. Caomparable to Mark Kelso, just a bit smaller and faster, minus the Great Kazoo helmet, of course! I would not be surprised to see him on the 53 man roster if he has a very good training camp.

Two confirmed UDFA's are 1) Rob Lee, a CB from Northern Illinois, and (2) Jim Leonhard, a safety from Wisconsin.  I know nothing about Lee.  As a Wisconsin alum and avid fan, I know a little something about Leonhard.  He is undersized, but plays big.  He is a ball hawk and graduated as one the Big Ten's all-time interceptions leaders.  He also excelled at punt returns, returning several for TD's over his career.  Caomparable to Mark Kelso, just a bit smaller and faster, minus the Great Kazoo helmet, of course!  I would not be surprised to see him on the 53 man roster if he has a very good training camp.

317797[/snapback]

The signing of Jim Leohard made this my favorite pickup of draft weekend even as a udfa, he will make the final roster and will contribute this year to special teams (exact location unknow due to our depth). This kid is a special player that brings IT every game, love this signing. Go Jim !

Here's another one, from the Denver Post, a safety, Daniel Leger.

Two players from Colorado Mines hooked on with teams as undrafted free agents. Quarterback Chad Friehauf, last year's Division II player of the year, agreed to attend the Broncos' training camp. Safety Daniel Leger will sign with Buffalo.

"They say they're really going to give me a shot, so I'm really excited," Leger said of the Bills. "They say I won't just be another body in the camp. I feel awesome about it, something I've worked for for a long time."

And another, DB Marvin Ward.

Linebacker John Pickens joined the New York Jets, defensive back Marvin Ward signed a two-year deal with the Buffalo Bills, safety Dominique Price signed with the Dallas Cowboys and defensive lineman Colby Clark inked a one-year deal with the St. Louis Rams.

And another, DB Marvin Ward.

317967[/snapback]

Marvin Ward

S | (5'10", 204, 4.47) | NORTHWESTERN

Scouts Grade: 30

Strengths: Is a well-built and strong cornerback with good overall size and speed. Is tough and aggressive versus the run. Fills hard off the edge and has developed into a solid wrap-up tackler. He is at his best in zone or "off" coverage where he can diagnose the play, read the QB's eyes and break forward on the ball. Has good burst when coming forward out of his backpedal. Shows good ball skills and has developed into a playmaker when the ball is in the air.

Weaknesses: Has had some trouble staying healthy in the past. May need to make the move to FS in the NFL but doesn't have great size for a DS and has limited experience at the position. Is a bit stiff in his hips. Has some trouble when forced to turn and run. Loses too much in transition. Has good straight-line speed but seems to lack a second gear when needed to track down the deep ball.

Overall: Ward redshirted in 2000 and started seven games at cornerback in his redshirt freshman season in 2001. He was slowed by an ankle injury in 2002 and only wound up starting three games. He had a breakout season as a junior in 2003 when he started all 13 games at cornerback and finished with 84 total tackles, four INT's and seven PBU. As a senior in 2004, he finished with 65 total tackles, three INT's and 14 PBU.

Ward developed into an excellent starting cornerback at the collegiate level but his best shot of making it in the NFL might be as a free safety. He has decent size and speed, but he is a little bit stiff in terms of his ability to turn and run. Ward is at his best when diagnosing plays and breaking on throws in front of him, which gives him a chance to make a smooth transition to safety at the next level. If nothing else, Ward is an aggressive DB with good zone coverage skills, excellent ball skills and impressive toughness and tackling skills for his size in run support.

Because he's a 'tweener with below average size as a safety, there's a good chance that Ward goes undrafted. However, we still think he has the potential to contribute as a sub-package DB and "gunner" on special teams if given a chance in the NFL.

Can'f find a profile on Leger or Ward on nfl.com draft profiles or espn scouts.com.  I'll keep looking! ;)

317977[/snapback]

COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES PRO DAY (March 17th) senior safety DANIEL LEGER (#27) ran between 4.48 and 4.55 in the 40... 4.42/4.50 short shuttle... 7.38 three-cone... 36.5" vertical... 10'1" broad jump and also did 13 reps of 225 pounds... weighed in at 5116, 212 pounds... strong safety that was always around the ball; created seven turnovers to go along with 124 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, a school-record nine sacks, four interceptions, five pass breakups and three forced fumbles.

He leaves the program as the all-time leader in tackles, solo tackles, assisted tackles, sacks and tackles for losses... showed far better speed/athleticism than expected... his toughness/aggressiveness on film to go along with that production on film... he probably raised his PFA status.

....DANIEL LEGER (#27) ran between 4.48 and 4.55 in the 40... 4.42/4.50 short shuttle... 7.38 three-cone... 36.5" vertical... 10'1" broad jump and also did 13 reps of 225 pounds... weighed in at 5116..........!!!!!!! WOW He is HUUUUUUGE!!!!!! 5116 pounds? Wonder if it is muscle? ;)

Found this on Ward....

http://nusports.collegesports.com/sports/m...d_marvin00.html

318025[/snapback]

Cool...I especially liked this line: "Turned in one of his career's best efforts vs. Michigan's Braylon Edwards his senior year."

Edwards had only 7 catches for 54 yards and no touchdowns that day.

http://mgoblue.com/document_file/fbl-boxscore-111304.pdf

And the Cards just signed Shazor.

Cardinals | URFA Shazor Signed - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:47:25 -0700

WDFN Sports Radio 1130 AM in Detroit reports the Arizona Cardinals have signed undrafted rookie free agent S Ernest Shazor (Michigan) to a two-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

....DANIEL LEGER (#27) ran between 4.48 and 4.55 in the 40... 4.42/4.50 short shuttle... 7.38 three-cone... 36.5" vertical... 10'1" broad jump and also did 13 reps of 225 pounds... weighed in at 5116..........!!!!!!!  WOW He is HUUUUUUGE!!!!!!  5116 pounds?  Wonder if it is muscle? ;)

318023[/snapback]

If things don't work out with the Bills, he can stay in town and be the Sabres goalie when they get started again. Can you say shutout?

I didnt feel like registering for the link but I just read we went after RB Walter Reyes of Syracuse but he decided to sign with the Titans instead, which is probably a good choice for him.

318094[/snapback]

mildly suprised he wasn't drafted.

How about Syracuse Safety Diamond Ferri?  Any word on him yet?

318423[/snapback]

Ferri has been contacted by several teams wanting to sign him. He was upbeat about his prospects with the teams, but refused to name them at this time.

"Some teams are interested," Ferri said. "I gotta go to some camps first."