DSLR for video

SDS

Does anyone shoot DSLR equipment for video? There’s a ton of information on Google, but the one issue I’m very interested in is zoom functionality.

I really hate the toggle switch on my camcorder and I would think the zoom ring on a DSLR lens would be a 100 times better way to control zoom while video recording.

Any thoughts?

We all took a vote and decided you have to pay for our hard earned information.

But I have no clue about video equipment.

And if @Chandler81 stops charging me 30 bucks a month, I might reconsider charging an info fee

Edited by flaz
  • Haha (+1) 1

My experience is it isn’t easier as it’s more difficult to hold a camera steady with one hand if you have a heavy zoom lens on it.  Turning the ring with one hand while holding the camera with the other usually results in some movement of the frame. 

A camcorder is designed to be held with one hand. It’s harder to do so with a DSLR, especially my Nikon which has a flip out screen for live video use. 

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

My experience is it isn’t easier as it’s more difficult to hold a camera steady with one hand if you have a heavy zoom lens on it.  Turning the ring with one hand while holding the camera with the other usually results in some movement of the frame. 

A camcorder is designed to be held with one hand. It’s harder to do so with a DSLR, especially my Nikon which has a flip out screen for live video use. 

One of my favorite purchases was a monopod for my camcorder. Much easier to keep the camera steady and made it easier to control the zoom. I assume it would work well for a DSLR too but it's only useful if you're stationary while recording.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.