Bills sign rookie FA LT Geir Gudmundsen

Snorom

He's a SUNY Albany product that has been in contact with McNally for a few years.

Not much info on him yet but I'm sure more will surface soon.

Here is an article about him

http://testhealthclub.com/pages/club/news_gudmundsen.html

Biggest Accomplishment: Two-Time Sports Network Mid-Major All-America

Positives: experienced left tackle… size… quickness... strength…

Negatives: raw technique… level of play… played in a run mostly offense to his pass blocking will need some work

Workout Numbers: 5.39 40, 26-inch vertical, 25 reps, 700 safety squat

Pro Grade: Free Agent

They had the signing on the local sportcast on ch 23

317482[/snapback]

All of us local to the Albany region already know this kid's story, but I dont have to tell you that. I was hoping the Bills would pick him up...if he's a McNally disciple, he might kick around for awhile.

All of us local to the Albany region already know this kid's story, but I dont have to tell you that.  I was hoping the Bills would pick him up...if he's a McNally disciple, he might kick around for awhile.

317499[/snapback]

What have you all heard about him? All I know is that they wanted him, but I don't know much about him...

Too bad Fins', ya missed one:

Dolphins | Schedule Workout with Gudmundsen - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:43:24 -0800

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins have tentatively scheduled a private workout with Albany's OL Geir Gudmundsen.

What have you all heard about him?  All I know is that they wanted him, but I don't know much about him...

317508[/snapback]

http://testhealthclub.com/pages/club/news_gudmundsen.html

Interview with Albany OT Geir Gudmundsen: The Real Deal

Prospect Interviews

By NFL Draft Scout & other Services

An artist who plays football is not too common place but don't tell that to big six-five Albany offensive Tackle Geir Gudmundsen. His compassionate spirit and great drawing skills transfer over in many ways to fuel his mean streak on the football field.

A great run-blocking tackle who has put on over 80 pounds and still getting bigger, Geir has made multiple All-American teams and has only missed one play the past few seasons. Over 15 teams have sent Scouts to check out Geir in action this past season with most coming away pretty impressed. He sits down with Josh Buchanan to talk about his training, NFL dreams and more..

Game Analysis: punishing run blocker… shows good strength… technique is not that great though… tends to use brute strength and quickness at the I-AA level but will have to become better in form to take his game to the next level… has a good stance… gets off the ball quick… does a good job of driving his feet… seems to pancake his opponent just about every play… finishes his blocks off… very smart… just needs to be worked with by a position specific trainer on technique…

Biggest Accomplishment: Two-Time Sports Network Mid-Major All-America

Positives: experienced left tackle… size… quickness... strength…

Negatives: raw technique… level of play… played in a run mostly offense to his pass blocking will need some work

Workout Numbers: 5.39 40, 26-inch vertical, 25 reps, 700 safety squat

Pro Grade: Free Agent

Bio Information: 2004 Division I-AA Football Mid-Major Performer of the Year by CollegeSportsReport.com… Collegesportsreport.com First-Team All-American… 2004 AFCA Division I-AA All-America squad… Three-Time First-Team All-Northeast Conference… Four-Time All-NEC selection… Team captain… Four-year letterman… Made 44 consecutive starts on UAlbany's offensive line… Two-Time Sports Network Mid-Major All-America left tackle… Blocked for a unit that led the NEC in rushing for the sixth consecutive season… 2004 The Sports Network Division I-AA Mid-Major All-America Football Team… described by teammate Kurt Campbell as the "real deal"

Q: What are your current measurables that pertain to your position?

Geir: My current height is 6’5”. I weigh 308lbs. My 40 time is 5.39 seconds. I have a 26 inch vertical. I can do 25 reps of 225lbs. I safety squat 700lbs.

Q: What was your height and weight as a senior in High School?

Geir: I was 6’4” and 220lbs as a senior in high school. I have gained about 80 pounds and have grown an inch.

Q: What are you doing now to prepare for your Pro workouts?

Geir: I am currently training at Test Sports Clubs in New Jersey with Brian Martin.

Q: What types of workouts and training do you have to do?

Geir: For my weight I am working with a nutritionist to increase muscle weight. For speed I work on 40 yard technique and start to improve my time. I also practice for the three cone drill and pro-agility. For strength, I am working to improve the number of reps for the 225lb test. My work-outs are geared towards endurance training. For position specifications I work on foot-speed and balance. I also work with Billy Ard, formerly of the New York Giants. We work on specifics for o-line position.

Q: What do you feel are your best on-field attributes?

Geir: I feel run-blocking is my strength. I feel other strengths are my speed off the ball and aggressiveness to finish blocks.

Q: What areas of the game you feel need most work?

Geir: Pass blocking in space.

As you look back on your college career, what was your favorite moment(s)?

Geir: My favorite moments in my collegiate career were when we won back-to-back conference championships and in the ECAC Classic Bowl game when we shut out Duquesne 24-0.

Q: Who is the best player you went up against in College?

Geir: I respect all my opponents. If I had to choose a player who impressed me it was my opponent Ciche Pitcher in the Montana game.

Q: Do you try and pattern your game after any current NFL player?

Geir: I respect Rich Seubert and Luke Petitgout. I had a chance to watch them practice and play. I respect how Seubert came from a smaller school made a name for himself. He earned and also played a pivotal part on a NFL offensive line. He didn’t say much and just got the job done.

Q: What do you think the biggest adjustment from College to the NFL

will be?

Geir: Speed, strength, and quality of players.

Q: Pertaining to the position you play, what do you think is the hardest thing to do in Football?

Geir: I think covering a wide receiver would be the hardest because you can’t teach recovery speed needed to stay with a wide receivers route. The hardest part of my position is knowing your opponents tendencies and finding out the little things on film.

Q: What plans do you have if the NFL does not work out?

Geir: I would like to see if a team would like to send me overseas to NFL Europe. If that doesn’t work out I would like to pursue a career in art. That is what I majored in college.

Quick 6

1. Favorite Music artist(s)?

Geir: Led Zeppelin is my favorite group. I am a fan of all music but I listen to classic rock and country music the most.

2. Play Football Video Games at all?

Geir: Yes I play both Madden and NCAA on PS2. I play for fun. I thought I was good but I have a couple of friends who show me different. I don’t think it is relaxing because I get so competitive when I play.

3. Favorite Movie(s)?

Geir: I watch movies all the time. A few of my favorites are Predator, Old School, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, Rudy, and Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

4. What other sports you like to play?

Geir: I like to play Golf, Poker, Baseball, Wrestling, Basketball.

5. Favorite TV show(s)?

Geir: My shows are Pardon the Interruption, Family Guy, and American Choppers.

6. Where will you be for the Draft?

Geir: I will be at my apartment for the Draft. I plan to watch the whole thing.

In Closing:

Geir: It has been a dream for me to play in the NFL. I have worked hard to get where I am today. I plan on working harder to get to where I want to be.

The Draft Scout family wishes Geir the best in his training, Pro Day & football future!

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2005/04/23/nflb23.htm

Geir Gudmundsen sits at a table, looking eye-to-eye with Giants offensive line coach Pat Flaherty. Lunch is served. Eating is the last thing on Gudmundsen's mind.

The 6-foot-5, 308-pound Albany senior is being grilled by Flaherty. Not about his skills. About his character.

"It felt like I was on a job interview," said Gudmundsen, a 2000 Saugerties graduate. Gudmundsen was applying for the biggest position of his life – NFL offensive tackle.

Flaherty's not the only NFL coach looking at Gudmundsen. Bills line coach Jim McNally has wined and dined him. The Packers and Cowboys are also interested.

Despite the attention, Gudmundsen's a longshot to have his name called in this weekend's NFL draft.

The draft is seven rounds and 255 players are selected. Twenty-five tackles were taken last year. Gudmundsen, 22, is rated the 47th-best tackle by NFL Draft Showcase.

"I'm not worried about that stuff," Gudmundsen said. "It's nice to hear. But I'll wait to see what happens. "I likely will get a free-agent offer. But it would be awesome to get drafted."

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli lists Gudmundsen as one of two "sleepers" among offensive tackles. But Gudmundsen is missing from most draft rankings.

"The only question is the lesser competition (Division I-AA at Albany) that he faced," said former Giants guard Billy Ard, who trains Gudmundsen. "He's not going up against defensive ends that run a 4.8, 40 (-yard dash)."

Gudmundsen travels twice a week from Albany to Martinsville, N.J. – a two-and-half-hour ride down the Thruway and 287 – for Ard's tutelage. He works on exploding off the line, pulling and hand techniques. He can't learn from anyone better. Ard won a Super Bowl with the 1986 Giants and was named to their all-century team.

"He's the type of guy that will watch hours of film, work his (butt) off and not say a word," Ard said.

Ard said a Giants representative assured him that the team would offer Gudmundsen a free-agent contract.

"I've always had in the back of my head to play in the NFL," Gudmundsen said. "It's always been a dream. Hopefully it becomes a reality."

Last summer, Gudmundsen was a security guard at Giants training camp in Albany. If his dreams come true this weekend, Gudmundsen could be protecting the quarterback instead of protecting players from pushy fans.