Preemptive pardoning power

WideNine

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

In the past cases, the pardon was not done for activity done at the behest and/or close knowledge of the president signing the pardon. If Trump or one of his family were charged (unlikely but at least possible), Biden would do well to pardon him in the same way Ford pardoned Nixon. 

I would also think the pardon would have to be somewhat specific. Not sure a blanket pardon is a thing but I put very little past Trump. 

8 minutes ago, shoshin said:

In the past cases, the pardon was not done for activity done at the behest and/or close knowledge of the president signing the pardon. If Trump or one of his family were charged (unlikely but at least possible), Biden would do well to pardon him in the same way Ford pardoned Nixon. 

I would also think the pardon would have to be somewhat specific. Not sure a blanket pardon is a thing but I put very little past Trump. 

There's the rub with pardoning his family. As he and all his family are a part of the shady Trump Org, there would be a precedent of pardoning yourself and presidential proxies of potential crimes.

That would be a bad precedent as future presidents could simply direct others to do their criminal business and benefit from those illegal actions while assuring and encouraging those directly responsible for carrying out the deeds that he can pardon them preemptively.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

There's the rub with pardoning his family. As he and all his family are a part of the shady Trump Org, there would be a precedent of pardoning yourself and presidential proxies of potential crimes.

That would be a bad precedent as future presidents could simply direct others to do their criminal business and benefit from those illegal actions while assuring and encouraging those directly responsible for carrying out the deeds that he can pardon them preemptively.

The fact that it's being talked about almost ensures that it will happen. 

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

The fact that it's being talked about almost ensures that it will happen. 

First, I firmly believe that Trump knows that he, his Trump Org, and family members regularly break the law. He also views the law as something that is a mutable thing if one can apply enough legal and/or political pressure to deal with it. I am not sure he is too far off the mark on that assessment.

As he immediately looked into his pardoning power with his oath of office still fresh on his lips, I am sure discussions around the limits or areas where precedent could be challenged or created happened. I was looking and as early as February 2016 there were discussions about Trump's ability to preemptively pardon himself and his family members. Why would Hannity and others float that idea if they did not know behind all their blathering about innocence and witch hunt that America just elected a career criminal and his clan into office.

Of course there has already been an effort to float this idea of absolute immunity before the courts with the infamous Trump I could shoot someone on 5th avenue and get away with it comments.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4824386/lawyer-argues-president-trump-prosecuted-office-shoots

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

No crime has been alleged... What is he pardoning himself from?

That would be an interesting read right?

I hereby pardon myself for tax fraud, and for money laundering, for obstruction....all the things I claim I have not done.

It will be a pretty bizarre few weeks leading up to his exit.

If history is any predictor Trump supporters just don't care if he breaks the law.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

my logical mind thinks No Way could he be allowed to do such a thing. Does nepotism and political presidential power have no boundaries whatsoever? But then I remembered who it is we are talking about. I don't put donald trump past  trying ANYTHING that he feels he has the right to do...now wether he would be successful would be the other thing. As has been mentioned the precedent that would set is a very slippery slope to massive corruption if such a man were elected with criminal propensities. Perfect power corrupts perfectly.

Even pardoning himself for acts is in itself ridiculous..Outrageous even. Again just like he is. Again would be surprised zero if had the gall to attempt such a thing....he may as well label himself Guilty though.....which would make he appear like a Loser..we all know how badly he hates that label.......I'm staying tuned and watching developments on this with great interest not only for he but future implications and ramifications

• Like (+1) 3