Bills have run the most play action passes in the NFL this year...

Big Turk

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/establishing-the-run-does-matter/ar-BBXgJfg
It depends on how you crunch the data.

You can tell me till you are blue in the face that Analytics show a running game doesn’t.

40+ years of watching the box get stuffed and good QBs kill them with the PA tells me otherwise.

He makes the point that the most important thing is that the D feels "could be run, could be pass" and is unsure which one. Which kind of is exactly what the correlation between being in a down and distance that makes a run more likely and play action pass being successful shows. This was the highest correlation to success of play action that was found in the analytics...which he basically just parroted in a different way but said the same thing.

The whole point is that regardless of how well the teams historically have run the ball, hiw well they ran it the week prior, how well they rannit in the first half or on the previous series or even in the same series there is no correlation...some of the worst running teams in the league had some of the best play action success. Some of the best running teams had some of the best play action success. Some of the worst running teams had some of the worst play action success. Some of the best running teams had some of the worst play action success. Some of the middle of the road running teams had some of the best success at play action and some had some of the worst success at play action.

In short teams were all across the board and there was no metric or run success rate or anything else that could be correlated to how well the team did with play action.

Edited by matter2003

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Problem as I see it though, is play action is most successful when an offense has proven its effectiveness running the ball. Thus, fake what they’re anticipating, slow the pass rush a second and throw over top of them. Just because Pete Carroll doesn’t have a clue doesn’t mean every football team from the League -& WNY High Schools, for that matter- don’t get it.

If ‘your team’ only runs 5X in a half, I’m comin’ after yer QB EVERY DAMN PLAY! Run be damned.

I don’t get it🤷‍♂️

Its not just about slowing the pass rush.  It also freezes the linebackers because if you are running the ball they have to fill gaps.  This creates space for your receiving crew.

It's like the reverse with us, we pass to set up the run lol.  I love the fact that we run so much play-action, cause like someone said, Josh is damn good at it.  

Man if he can learn to keep his hands in the same position when he's fake snapping it, watch out..