In a copy cat league...how does John Brown change what chiefs can do?

Hebert19

On 10/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, one thing in the first half...there were times when the Titans were giving Josh's checkdown options SOoooooooOOoo freakin' much cushion that if he looked to them more, he could have had some big chunk plays.   Josh's known reluctance to take the checkdown must be part of the "book" on him around the league.  Knox went from the LOS 15 yds downfield on one play where Allen hit him.  There were a couple other plays where Josh did pull the trigger but he threw it flat and I'm pretty sure it was tipped.  There were more, especially early on, where he forced it rather than take the quick checkdown.  Hopefully that's a point of emphasis to him this week.

If KC does something similar and Josh sees those open guys and hits them accurately enough to allow YAC, they'll move out of their zone.  Teams change their plans PDQ when they're getting burned for 8-15 ypa.

I'm not great at this kind of analysis but I actually don't think the Titans had a spy on Josh a lot of the time.

Teams often don’t use a spy when in zone. One thing Allen can do to bust those zones is escape outside and press the LOS to force zone defenders into choosing between coverage and run support. He’s great at this in the RZ - TD pass to Moss - and they should start doing this more often between the 20’s. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, one thing in the first half...there were times when the Titans were giving Josh's checkdown options SOoooooooOOoo freakin' much cushion that if he looked to them more, he could have had some big chunk plays.   Josh's known reluctance to take the checkdown must be part of the "book" on him around the league.  Knox went from the LOS 15 yds downfield on one play where Allen hit him.  There were a couple other plays where Josh did pull the trigger but he threw it flat and I'm pretty sure it was tipped.  There were more, especially early on, where he forced it rather than take the quick checkdown.  Hopefully that's a point of emphasis to him this week.

If KC does something similar and Josh sees those open guys and hits them accurately enough to allow YAC, they'll move out of their zone.  Teams change their plans PDQ when they're getting burned for 8-15 ypa.

I'm not great at this kind of analysis but I actually don't think the Titans had a spy on Josh a lot of the time.

Hap, exactly.  When I used to coach football, it was simple, they play deep zone, you throw underneath, they move up, you throw deep.  Not rocket science.  They can’t cover everything short and deep, and even coaching QB’s at a young age, you make sure they give up tendencies, and just take what is open.  It’s why we lost the Giants SB.  Marv and Kelly were so heck bent on the k gun, they didn’t recognize, or ignored due to hubris they were only rushing 3, so the Thurmonator was running all over them.  They could have kept doing that and forced BB to move more up which would have opened up the passing game.  It was a horrible decision.

As much as I love Coach Marv, I hope McD and Daboll learn from their mistake last week and just hit the weakest spot and put coach them.  That will be hard with Reid, but I believe in these guys.