It is hard to win in the NFL

I know it's a punchline on this board but if we look beyond the guy that said it, it is mostly true.  The defense got gashed today, but look at the scores around the league.  13 teams scored 30 or more points and four of them lost.  Through three games the offenses appear ahead of the defenses.  Is that lack of hitting in camp and no pre-season?  The NFL has adopted much of what works well in college on offense and NFL defenses don't have much of an answer.  So let's take a moment and recognize the Bills are 3-0 and have made huge strides in a short time.

Allen is a star.  A reckless one at times but a true star.

Daboll is getting guys wide open even as he finds the right balance of run/pass with Allen and the entire offense

The drops that plagued this team for years have been replaced with amazing catches.

The WR group is the best in the NFL only two years removed from the absolute worst.

Team penalties are much improved. 

McD has been more aggressive and his clock management has gotten better.

The defense even while getting gashed and giving up chunks has not given up huge scoring plays.  

On to Vegas and an important AFC game.  

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I know it's a punchline on this board but if we look beyond the guy that said it, it is mostly true.  The defense got gashed today, but look at the scores around the league.  13 teams scored 30 or more points and four of them lost.  Through three games the offenses appear ahead of the defenses.  Is that lack of hitting in camp and no pre-season?  The NFL has adopted much of what works well in college on offense and NFL defenses don't have much of an answer.  So let's take a moment and recognize the Bills are 3-0 and have made huge strides in a short time.

Allen is a star.  A reckless one at times but a true star.

Daboll is getting guys wide open even as he finds the right balance of run/pass with Allen and the entire offense

The drops that plagued this team for years have been replaced with amazing catches.

The WR group is the best in the NFL only two years removed from the absolute worst.

Team penalties are much improved. 

McD has been more aggressive and his clock management has gotten better.

The defense even while getting gashed and giving up chunks has not given up huge scoring plays.  

On to Vegas and an important AFC game.  

This is the biggest difference, to me. Last year, with 3 minutes left in the half, 3 runs up the middle by Gore and it's off to the locker room up 14-3 (or 14-6, if the Rams use the time left to come back with a FG). That TD at the end of the half postponed the Rams comeback, and saved the game. I hope McD has learned that conservative coaching loses winnable games.

• Like (+1) 1

I said in another thread that we have been spoiled by having such an elite defense the past few years, plus we are playing teams now that have been desperate to get back into the game.

I want to see the coaches work through this slump and get the defense back on track, but the next few games will be tough too, so I'm not sure when we'll see it. Maybe against the Raiders.

Anyway, glad we have an offense that can carry the team.

• Like (+1) 1