Does the NFL need to make any changes for a full season to be viable?

iinii

On 6/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, driddles said:

I suspect what you saw was a day where 13 people died as there have been 712 confirmed deaths in SC to date.

I've seen numbers all over the place.  You make a moot point though 712 is still insignificant.  Death is a part of life.  Some of us just don't live in fear and that is truly living free.  I believe the day I die was predetermined.  Worrying has never changed a thing in my life.  I should have spent the rest of my life in prison yet I am a free man, not just from a cage but from all the things that would have put me there.  I was hit by 480V at and amperage of 17Amps from the elbow with my grounding point being my other hand.  Which for those of you who don't know that means the path it took was through my heart.  It should have killed me but didn't phase (no pun intended) me.  It takes .200 to .250 Amps to kill a person on that path.

Wear a mask, wash your hands and disinfect your groceries.  Keep living because you're gonna have to face the music eventually.

12 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I've seen numbers all over the place.  You make a moot point though 712 is still insignificant.  Death is a part of life.  Some of us just don't live in fear and that is truly living free.  I believe the day I die was predetermined.  Worrying has never changed a thing in my life.  I should have spent the rest of my life in prison yet I am a free man, not just from a cage but from all the things that would have put me there.  I was hit by 480V at and amperage of 17Amps from the elbow with my grounding point being my other hand.  Which for those of you who don't know that means the path it took was through my heart.  It should have killed me but didn't phase (no pun intended) me.  It takes .200 to .250 Amps to kill a person on that path.

Wear a mask, wash your hands and disinfect your groceries.  Keep living because you're gonna have to face the music eventually.

It's funny, we get reminded every september about that time where 3000 people died 20 years ago and it's a tragedy. We held hearing after hearing about 4 people that died in a warzone trying to find out what happenbed and was there someone we could blame.

140,000 Americans drop dead in 4 months and an unknown amount are left disabled and others needing organ transplants, and it's "oh, well that's life".

Can we get some of those Vietnam Veteran hats at least?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, BullBuchanan said:

It's funny, we get reminded every september about that time where 3000 people died 20 years ago and it's a tragedy. We held hearing after hearing about 4 people that died in a warzone trying to find out what happenbed and was there someone we could blame.

140,000 Americans drop dead in 4 months and an unknown amount are left disabled and others needing organ transplants, and it's "oh, well that's life".

Can we get some of those Vietnam Veteran hats at least?

And I was against throwing people in prison without trials.  Your argument is irrelevant to what I stated.

The locker room has to be made safer , wear masks,  expand to extra rooms or corridor , add temp showers.  The close contact during a game will be the risk. This does not look promising so far , some players stressed for their families and opt out

What caused MLB Marlins outbreak , locker room ,  team bus , plane ride  ?

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2020 at 2:54 AM, ALF said:

The locker room has to be made safer , wear masks,  expand to extra rooms or corridor , add temp showers.  The close contact during a game will be the risk. This does not look promising so far , some players stressed for their families and opt out

What caused MLB Marlins outbreak , locker room ,  team bus , plane ride  ?

Excellent questions. 

On 6/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

- 10 Game Season

- 2 Games per month every other week

- Season goes starts September 13  through January 17

- Playoffs in February 2/7 and 2/21

- “Super Bowl” in March On March 7th

- Playoffs consist of 4 teams each conference.  3 Division Winners and 1 Wild Card
- No Fans in Stadium

if were in charge lol

• Matt Birk has a good idea. The former Ravens and Vikings center is a partner in a new company called React, which produces what it calls “Pandemic-proof Contact Sports Schedules.” He told me React will have three versions of an NFL schedule this week that will feature 10 regular-season games, not 16, and would start later, with 11 to 14-day gaps between each game. That would allow for one of the key React ideas—two-day isolation periods for players and coaches and staff around each game, while allowing them to have time with family as well outside of the isolation periods.

I asked Birk about the league playing 160 games instead of 256 in the regular season, meaning less TV money. “Not necessarily,” Birk said. “In a normal season,” he said, “you have five TV slots per week—three on Sunday, one on Monday, one on Thursday. On our schedule, you’d have seven TV slots—a doubleheader Thursday, a doubleheader Monday and three on Sunday.”

For the 10 games, Birk proposes a full home-and-home division slate, which would take up six games. The other four could be on the baseball model: East versus East, North versus North, to limit travel. I don’t see this being embraced by the NFL, or even strongly considered, until or if the league has some outbreaks, a la major-league baseball and the league might have to consider fewer games. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/lamar-jackson-ravens-nfl-fmia-peter-king/?cid=nbcsports

You seem to have been out in front on this one, Ralph

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, iinii said:

• Matt Birk has a good idea. The former Ravens and Vikings center is a partner in a new company called React, which produces what it calls “Pandemic-proof Contact Sports Schedules.” He told me React will have three versions of an NFL schedule this week that will feature 10 regular-season games, not 16, and would start later, with 11 to 14-day gaps between each game. That would allow for one of the key React ideas—two-day isolation periods for players and coaches and staff around each game, while allowing them to have time with family as well outside of the isolation periods.

I asked Birk about the league playing 160 games instead of 256 in the regular season, meaning less TV money. “Not necessarily,” Birk said. “In a normal season,” he said, “you have five TV slots per week—three on Sunday, one on Monday, one on Thursday. On our schedule, you’d have seven TV slots—a doubleheader Thursday, a doubleheader Monday and three on Sunday.”

For the 10 games, Birk proposes a full home-and-home division slate, which would take up six games. The other four could be on the baseball model: East versus East, North versus North, to limit travel. I don’t see this being embraced by the NFL, or even strongly considered, until or if the league has some outbreaks, a la major-league baseball and the league might have to consider fewer games. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/lamar-jackson-ravens-nfl-fmia-peter-king/?cid=nbcsports

You seem to have been out in front on this one, Ralph

Makes too much sense. Pass.

But seriously this is a good idea. And let's scrap the west coast trips and play only our division home-and-home, then either the NFC East 2-home, 2-away for 10 games, or play the 4 closest non-division teams to you. In our case, PIT, CLE, DET, NYG.

Edited by PromoTheRobot