A column from an idiot

his idea might not be the solution, but i do think he is on the right track -- it really doesn't make sense that every year the rookie contracts increase by X% regardless of the actual strength of the class.......it's all based on slotting and getting more then the guy picked in that position the year before, but that doesn't take into account the quality of the draft year.....

does anyone think that this year's #1 pick deserves a contract larger then last year's #1 pick? well, he's going to get more money then eli, which doesn't seem right to me.......

OK, this idiot wants to do away with the NFL draft and make all college players fair game for everyone starting at noon on Saturday.  :blink:  :w00t:  :lol:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1047943.asp

309067[/snapback]

That's a great idea. Maybe they'll also get rid of the salary cap and revenue sharing and the NY Giants can have a $250MM payroll and the Bills can go bankrupt. :lol:

his idea might not be the solution, but i do think he is on the right track -- it really doesn't make sense that every year the rookie contracts increase by X% regardless of the actual strength of the class.......it's all based on slotting and getting more then the guy picked in that position the year before, but that doesn't take into account the quality of the draft year.....

does anyone think that this year's #1 pick deserves a contract larger then last year's #1 pick? well, he's going to get more money then eli, which doesn't seem right to me.......

309087[/snapback]

I really don't know why they just don't cut the rookie pool in half. Yeah, it would screw a bunch of players for one or two years but it's just ludicrous to spend all that money on guys who haven't proven themselves yet. The extra money would be paid to vets that have.

OK, this idiot wants to do away with the NFL draft and make all college players fair game for everyone starting at noon on Saturday.  :blink:  :w00t:  :lol:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1047943.asp

309067[/snapback]

I thought this idea sucked too. If this guy would rather spend time washing his car, mowing the lawn, or whatever than watching at least the first two or three hours of a draft, then he should look into a career change. Lazy a$$.

OK, this idiot wants to do away with the NFL draft and make all college players fair game for everyone starting at noon on Saturday. :blink::w00t::lol:

It used to be a lot of fun in the AFl/NFL competition days - when team members on both sides tried to hide college players from the other - literally almost kidnapping them at times :lol:

With the salary cap, having a 2-day draft is probably overkill. I think you can have a 4 round draft with all the other players becoming free agents. Teams could not stockpile players unless they had the cap room.

The rookie pool is BS. Let each team determine how they want to waste their salary cap.

yeah, its not liek the draft helped the NFL be the most popular sport in america.

next thing he will say is that the salary cap is hurting the NFL....  :w00t:

309135[/snapback]

...... and the big-money TV deals are ruining things too. Maybe they should go to an all AM radio broadcast style according to DiCesare :blink:

I thought this idea sucked too. If this guy would rather spend time washing his car, mowing the lawn, or whatever than watching at least the first two or three hours of a draft, then he should look into a career change. Lazy a$$.

309119[/snapback]

It seems the Buffalo News forgot to put the word "Dumb" before "Commentary". I still don't get why he thinks the NFL should do away with the draft. At one point he points out that teams pick out of whimsy, like TD taking McGahee, but...that...turned out ok. BOB, YOU'RE A MORON.

The NFL draft begins Saturday, and this year it presents a prime opportunity to clean out the garage, put up the screens, sit back and watch the grass grow.  Anything will beat a day spent tethered to the television...

20 years ago we did just that every year during the NFL draft, and no one thought it represented any problem with the draft. Now, in the era of 24-7 saturation cable programming...the draft's suddenly flawed because DeCesare feels more compelled to revert to how he spent his draft weekends 20 years ago than watch the draft?

Methinks the problem lies less with the draft, and more with that fool DeCesare. :blink: