Rick Azar Update

Thanks for the info. FWIW, Irv Weinstein's wife was the office secretary at PS #88 in Bflo in the '60's. I got sent there several times for chewing gum in class, and Mrs. Weinstein used to keep red licorice in her desk and gave me some! She'd talk now and then about Irv, Rick Azar, and weatherman Tom Jolls. I was fascinated.

Thanks for the info.  FWIW, Irv Weinstein's wife was the office secretary at PS #88 in Bflo in the '60's. I got sent there several times for chewing gum in class, and Mrs. Weinstein used to keep red licorice in her desk and gave me some! She'd talk now and then about Irv, Rick Azar, and weatherman Tom Jolls. I was fascinated.

309219[/snapback]

(Do you remember) Eyewitness News Jingle:

Irv Weinstein, your really a pro

you've got all the news that we want to know

You tell it like it is and never through us a curve

Nobody does it like Irv

Jeff

(Do you remember) Eyewitness News Jingle:

Irv Weinstein, your really a pro

you've got all the news that we want to know

You tell it like it is and never through us a curve

Nobody does it like Irv

Jeff

309238[/snapback]

No, sorry.

I do recall channel 4 weatherman Jack Mahl being "brought" to us by the Atlantic petroleum company, and former Bil's TE Ernie Warlick doing sports, sponsored by Simon Pure Beer. He once said some complimentary words about the brew, put the bottle forcefully on the desk, and it shattered. Ernie used to own the "Henry's Hamburger" shop on Main Street.

My 1st memory of tv news was a fellow named Roy Kerns, who did it all.

And back when tv had the sense to go to bed, the stations would broadcast the half-hour religious drama "Insight", with Efram Zimbalest, Jr., gospel songs by Mahilia Jackson, and for many years, the poem, "High Flight" with a soaring and rollicking F-104 Starfighter as the backdrop to the recitation below:

High Flight

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew -

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untresspassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee

No. 412 squadron, RCAF

Killed 11 December 1941

No, sorry.

I do recall channel 4 weatherman Jack Mahl being "brought" to us by the Atlantic petroleum company, and former Bil's TE Ernie Warlick doing sports, sponsored by Simon Pure Beer. He once said some complimentary words about the brew, put the bottle forcefully on the desk, and it shattered. Ernie used to own the "Henry's Hamburger" shop on Main Street.

My 1st memory of tv news was a fellow named Roy Kerns, who did it all.

And back when tv had the decency to go to bed, the stations would end their broadcast day with the half-hour religious drama "Insight", with Efram Zimbalest, Jr., gospel songs by Mahilia Jackson, and for many years, the poem, "High Flight" with a soaring and rollicking F-104 Starfighter as the backdrop to the recitation below:

High Flight

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew -

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untresspassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand and touched the face of God."

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee

No 412 squadron, RCAF

Killed 11 December 1941

309277[/snapback]

Do you Remember the "Rick Azar Cutlass Supreme special edition: ? :blink:

When I used to work downtown, about 15 years ago, there was a little nothing bar across the street that people there went after work. Rick is apparently an avid darts player, as I remember him coming in there on several occasions to shoot darts. We'd talk sports for hours without running out of things to talk about.

Funny, I don't recall their competiton either. When I think of "Buffalo" news, that's who I clearly have in mind. Irv always struck me as being a very short man. Who knows just how tall he was? Conversely, Tom Jolls seemed tall. Who knows. I could have passed Irv at the local AM+A's and not noticed because I wasn't looking down. :blink:

I ran into him at an outback steak house a few years ago. It was during the playoffs right after we lost to Miami. It was the year the ref's gave New England the division with that pass interference on the hail mary. Someone asked me who I liked in the playoffs and I went on a rant about how the Bills should still be in it. I said to him "are you from Buffalo? because you look just like Rick Azar." He said I am Rick Azar.

He lives near Pinehurst and plays alot of golf.

No. Did he hawk cars for Tunmore Oldsmibile? :w00t:

309297[/snapback]

The Western New York Oldsmobile group had a Cutlass that was called the Azar.

It had a chrome package, wheels, outside rear view mirrors and a strip of Chrome coming down near the small rear window. This was probably around 1975. Its because of Rick. Cool ride :blink:

The Western New York Oldsmobile group had a Cutlass that was called the Azar.

It had a chrome package, wheels, outside rear view mirrors and a strip of Chrome coming down near the small rear window. This was probably around 1975. Its because  of Rick. Cool ride :blink:

309384[/snapback]

You have jogged an ancient memory. It does sound familiar, but I'm not sure. I was 2 years out of college in 1975 and of course living in the usual self-indulgent fog, then. :w00t:

You have jogged an ancient memory. It does sound familiar, but I'm not sure. I was 2 years out of college in 1975 and of course living in the usual self-indulgent fog, then. :lol:

309414[/snapback]

We had a life size (well maybe a little bigger) cut out of him on our showroom floor for advertising. :w00t:

I've searched the web, I cant find anything about it. So I guess that means I made the whole thing up. :blink:

(Its the truth Cincy :lol: )

Cool, thanks for the update...just makes me feel old

Jeff

309229[/snapback]

Wow, Rick is getting on. Irv, Rick and (Commander)Tom with the "Weather Outside" man, that brings back memories. WKBW - Sandy Beach and Danny Nevereath (sp). Captain Mike and Buttons the Cabin Boy, "It is nine o'clock, it is nine o'clock, here we are on deck and it's nine o'clock" Van Miller doing the sports on WBEN. Time marches on...

Did you end up turning into a "pistol packing punk" :blink:

309416[/snapback]

Naa...every kid carried a jack knife into school back then. Curiously, no stabbings occured. :w00t:

In grade school, at a certain age, you had to do School Crossing Guard duty. They would frisk you, taking away chewing gum because they felt you would not be an authoratative force if you chewed your cud, but your knife was no problem. And it wasn't...