New Pope!

MattyT

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to turn this into a whole big religious debate, but if it's Ratzinger, I'm never setting foot in a Catholic church again.

308970[/snapback]

Well, not to be a bad Catholic, but wasn't there a recount on the Pope before John Paul, our last Pope? Didn't the guy only last for a month before the man upstairs called for a recount? Again, I don't want to appear like a heathen, but....It all worked out last time

Not to turn this into a whole big religious debate, but if it's Ratzinger, I'm never setting foot in a Catholic church again.

308970[/snapback]

Cardinal Ratzinger has shown none of the flexibility that JP II did....JPII was also orthodox but had an equal dose of realism and outreach...

I don't know Dr. Fong. I will never give up my faith or participation--but a shepherd who brings us back to borderline intolerance of other Christian and other faiths and doesn't deal with the world's many issues and many types of people in a manner that combines empathy with faith would be hard to swallow....

Ratzinger is in his late 70's, I think we need longer term leadership...

JOSEPH RATZINGER (GERMAN), BORN APRIL 16, 1927

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger seems typecast for the role of doctrinal watchdog he has played at the Vatican since 1981. Under his meek demeanour lies a steely intellect. His blunt judgments delight conservatives and outrage liberal Catholics.

Ratzinger was archbishop of Munich before taking over as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF), the successor to the Inquisition, in 1981.

In that office, he has cracked down on liberation theology in Latin America and denounced sexual liberalism in the West. In 2000, his document "Dominus Iesus" (Lord Jesus) angered Protestants by saying their churches were "deficient."

One of Pope John Paul's closest advisers, Ratzinger became dean of the College of Cardinals in 2002.

JOSEPH RATZINGER (GERMAN), BORN APRIL 16, 1927

Cardinal Francis Arinze was for nearly 20 years the Vatican's point man for relations with Islam, a key element cardinals choosing the next pope may take into consideration.

This has fueled speculation he could become the first African pope in more than 1,500 years.

A very spiritual man, he is sometimes seen walking to his office near the Vatican clutching rosary beads while praying, smiling all the time.

A theological conservative, he was born into an animist family in the village of Eziowelle. He was not baptised until the age of nine, when he converted to Catholicism.

309001[/snapback]

Pope Benedict the 16th