New Pope!

MattyT

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to turn this into a whole big religious debate, but if it's Ratzinger, I'm never setting foot in a Catholic church again.

308970[/snapback]

Well, not to be a bad Catholic, but wasn't there a recount on the Pope before John Paul, our last Pope? Didn't the guy only last for a month before the man upstairs called for a recount? Again, I don't want to appear like a heathen, but....It all worked out last time

Not to turn this into a whole big religious debate, but if it's Ratzinger, I'm never setting foot in a Catholic church again.

308970[/snapback]

Cardinal Ratzinger has shown none of the flexibility that JP II did....JPII was also orthodox but had an equal dose of realism and outreach...

I don't know Dr. Fong. I will never give up my faith or participation--but a shepherd who brings us back to borderline intolerance of other Christian and other faiths and doesn't deal with the world's many issues and many types of people in a manner that combines empathy with faith would be hard to swallow....

Ratzinger is in his late 70's, I think we need longer term leadership...

JOSEPH RATZINGER (GERMAN), BORN APRIL 16, 1927

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger seems typecast for the role of doctrinal watchdog he has played at the Vatican since 1981. Under his meek demeanour lies a steely intellect. His blunt judgments delight conservatives and outrage liberal Catholics.

Ratzinger was archbishop of Munich before taking over as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF), the successor to the Inquisition, in 1981.

In that office, he has cracked down on liberation theology in Latin America and denounced sexual liberalism in the West. In 2000, his document "Dominus Iesus" (Lord Jesus) angered Protestants by saying their churches were "deficient."

One of Pope John Paul's closest advisers, Ratzinger became dean of the College of Cardinals in 2002.

JOSEPH RATZINGER (GERMAN), BORN APRIL 16, 1927

Cardinal Francis Arinze was for nearly 20 years the Vatican's point man for relations with Islam, a key element cardinals choosing the next pope may take into consideration.

This has fueled speculation he could become the first African pope in more than 1,500 years.

A very spiritual man, he is sometimes seen walking to his office near the Vatican clutching rosary beads while praying, smiling all the time.

A theological conservative, he was born into an animist family in the village of Eziowelle. He was not baptised until the age of nine, when he converted to Catholicism.

309001[/snapback]

Pope Benedict the 16th

While Hitler Youth story is true....a little unfair without painting the full picture. I am not greatly enthusiastic about this--but I am willing to give Benedict the 16th a chance...strong faith and belief in the doctrines is important--but so is the compassion of Jesus...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0%2C%...72667%2C00.html

The son of a rural Bavarian police officer, Ratzinger was six when Hitler came to power in 1933. His father, also called Joseph, was an anti-Nazi whose attempts to rein in Hitler’s Brown Shirts forced the family to move home several times.

In 1937 Ratzinger’s father retired and the family moved to Traunstein, a staunchly Catholic town in Bavaria close to the Führer’s mountain retreat in Berchtesgaden. He joined the Hitler Youth aged 14, shortly after membership was made compulsory in 1941.

He quickly won a dispensation on account of his training at a seminary. “Ratzinger was only briefly a member of the Hitler Youth and not an enthusiastic one,” concluded John Allen, his biographer.

Two years later Ratzinger was enrolled in an anti-aircraft unit that protected a BMW factory making aircraft engines. The workforce included slaves from Dachau concentration camp.

Ratzinger has insisted he never took part in combat or fired a shot — adding that his gun was not even loaded — because of a badly infected finger. He was sent to Hungary, where he set up tank traps and saw Jews being herded to death camps. He deserted in April 1944 and spent a few weeks in a prisoner of war camp.

While Hitler Youth story is true....a little unfair without painting the full picture

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0%2C%...72667%2C00.html

In 1937 Ratzinger’s father retired and the family moved to Traunstein, a staunchly Catholic town in Bavaria close to the Führer’s mountain retreat in Berchtesgaden. He joined the Hitler Youth aged 14, shortly after membership was made compulsory in 1941.

309018[/snapback]

It seems then that you could pretty much pin that sort of stuff on all Germans alive at that time then.

Let's hope this pope gets with the 21st century and 1: Allows priests to marry, 2: Allows women priests, 3: Denounces papal infallability, 4: Allows the divorced and openly gay people to fully be members of the church in every way.

If that doesn't happen, I ain't coming back.

Was he really?

309017[/snapback]

A Sunday Times of London profile on Ratzinger, saying his doctrinal watchdog role has earned him uncomplimentary nicknames like "God's rottweiler," reported on the cardinal's "brief membership" in the Hitler Youth movement and service, in the final stretch of World War II, in a German anti-aircraft unit.

In his memoirs, Ratzinger speaks openly of being enrolled in the Nazi youth movement against his will when he was 14 in 1941, when membership was compulsory. He says he was soon let out because of his studies for the priesthood.

Two years later he was drafted into a Nazi anti-aircraft unit as a helper, a common fate for teenage boys too young to be soldiers. Enrolled as a soldier at 18, in the last months of the war, he barely finished basic training.

Here's the full article . Google around and you'll see other references.

Looks like you gots a decision to make.

309025[/snapback]

Nope, no decision. I'm not going back. I respect those of you that are adherents to your faith even in the face of a leadership that doesn't represent you. I just can't stomach it anymore. Cardinal Law at the Pope's funeral was almost enough for me. This is the final straw.

Let's hope this pope gets with the 21st century and 1: Allows priests to marry, 2: Allows women priests, 3: Denounces papal infallability, 4: Allows the divorced and openly gay people to fully be members of the church in every way.

If that doesn't happen, I ain't coming back.

309027[/snapback]

Not gonna happen. Ratzinger is as conservative/orthodox as they come.

He's 78 (20 years older than JP II at time he was elected), so it stands to reason Ratzinger's reign as pontiff won't be near as long as his predecessor.

Nope, no decision.  I'm not going back.  I respect those of you that are adherents to your faith even in the face of a leadership that doesn't represent you.  I just can't stomach it anymore.  Cardinal Law at the Pope's funeral was almost enough for me.  This is the final straw.

309031[/snapback]

Way to keep the faith, and so forgiving too. Were you ever a christian?

Nope, no decision.  I'm not going back.  I respect those of you that are adherents to your faith even in the face of a leadership that doesn't represent you.  I just can't stomach it anymore.  Cardinal Law at the Pope's funeral was almost enough for me.  This is the final straw.

309031[/snapback]

Don't look at me, I'm Lutheran, wee'z ain't looked at to kindly by them folk. :blink:

Don't look at me, I'm Lutheran, wee'z ain't looked at to kindly by them folk.  :blink:

309038[/snapback]

Bah. My priest had no problem marrying wendy & I and she was a lutheran. If course, my church was quite liberal for being catholic.

Not liberal enough for me, though. I quit the church because I couldn't stand it any more.

I could have sworn they were going to go with John Secola. 

Pope-Secola!!!  :blink:

309041[/snapback]

That was funny...

Ratzinger is a borderline fascist...These are dark times in the Catholic Church. We're gonna lose even more faithful Catholics.

Sigh - at least JP II had a social justice conscience. Mended old wounds across the world. Even Muslims loved him.

Rat has a his own "ultra conservative" agenda. He's gonna reopen some old wounds.

I really, really hope I'm wrong about all of this. I see liberal priests being made to "toe the line."

Charles