New Pope!

MattyT

Way to keep the faith, and so forgiving too. Were you ever a christian?

309037[/snapback]

You seem a bit testy about that.

Yes, I still consider myself one. The problem is that the Catholic Church does not represent me or my beliefs anymore. The fact that they have elected the most conservative of cardinals as pope. One that had ties to the Hitler Youth, whether you want to say that this is fair or not I think they could have found someone that didn't have that taint on them. I think women should be allowed to take a more active role in the Church, I think priests should be allowed to be married, I think gay people should be welcomed rather than shunned, I think contraception is an important way to prevent disease, and I think that it's despicable that ANY molestation would be covered up. So I realized that I pretty much am against every stand that the Church makes. I'm not an enemy of the Catholic Church, I just don't feel that they represent me anymore. I guess I'll have to go find another Church to go to.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enh, if you want Catholicism to change in all these ways, there's always being an Episcopalian/Anglican. I am not a Catholic, but it does't seems that the Church's job is to bend to popular opinion.

Besides, a lot of so-called conservative choices for Pope have ended up being quite the reformers. I believe this happened in the last century in fact...

Bah. My priest had no problem marrying wendy & I and she was a lutheran. If course, my church was quite liberal for being catholic.

Not liberal enough for me, though. I quit the church because I couldn't stand it any more.

309043[/snapback]

Ah, that's right, I got real sick that night. Extra dry and extra dirty does not work in my bladder.

Are you busting out your church thing somewhere else?

Ratzinger is unbelieveable.....people say he made all decisions the last 5 years anyway....he is ULTRA CONSERVATIVE...once issuing a decree that any catholic who votes for a pro choice candidate is a sinner....he also issued a decree that all non catholic forms of christianity were inferior......he will do nothing to bring the catholic church into the next millenium.

I was rooting for the Cardinal from Quebec...he is a forward thinker

Oh well he is 78 he wont be around too long.

While Hitler Youth story is true....a little unfair without painting the full picture.  I am not greatly enthusiastic about this--but I am willing to give Benedict the 16th a chance...strong faith and belief in the doctrines is important--but so is the compassion of Jesus...

309018[/snapback]

“Resistance was truly impossible,” Georg Ratzinger said. “Before we were conscripted, one of our teachers said we should fight and become heroic Nazis and another told us not to worry as only one soldier in a thousand was killed. But neither of us ever used a rifle against the enemy.”

Some locals in Traunstein, like Elizabeth Lohner, 84, whose brother-in-law was sent to Dachau as a conscientious objector, dismiss such suggestions. “It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others,” she said. “The Ratzingers were young and had made a different choice.”

From the same article.

Ah, that's right, I got real sick that night.  Extra dry and extra dirty does not work in my bladder.

Are you busting out your church thing somewhere else?

309062[/snapback]

No, but thinking about it. Everywhere is either too hippie freaky or too conservative.

No, but thinking about it. Everywhere is either too hippie freaky or too conservative.

309070[/snapback]

Same problem here, and now I have to make religious considerations for the new baby. The Lutherans are running with that whole evangelical rapture crowd, which is the creepy. And the Catholics appear to have gone all jackboot on everyone :blink:

I was thinking voodoo. It looks like a blast, and I want one of those dolls. Maybe Santeria. They all have tricked out Chevy Nova's with air-shock kits to bounce with.

So really...what's the big deal?

How will this change anyone's life?

Except for Mel Gibson and maybe Hogboy, most catholics do whatever the hell they want anyway, regardless of church docterine.

Divorce? No problem - just get an annullment.

Abortion? No problem there either. Hey, liberal democratic party allegience trumps the catholic church - or so it seems.

Murder and stealing? Aren't the Gotti's Catholic?

Everyone knows the catholic chicks were the biggest sluts in school.

So, what big changes will the new pope will bring? Probably not much. Are we gonna have - Vatican III?

Hollywood could promote it like it was a Will Smith picture......V3 - bigger, badder, and scarier than ever! More incense, insects, and incest than ever before. Coming this summer!!!!

For many I guess the teachings of Jesus were "If it feels good do it"...

:blink:

309079[/snapback]

Unfortunately, no, but it would have been fun!

But much of the policy of the catholic church is rooted in doctrine and not the actual teachings of christ. Like the whole celibacy thing. It's bull sh--.

But much of the policy of the catholic church is rooted in doctrine and not the actual teachings of christ. Like the whole celibacy thing. It's bull sh--.

309082[/snapback]

Celibacy was in place so that family considerations wouldn't conflict with a priest's vocation. It also was supposed to prevent dynasties and other corruptions from occurring.

I was thinking voodoo.  It looks like a blast, and I want one of those dolls.

309075[/snapback]

Bart: Hey, how about one of those religions where you eat a human heart?

Lisa: No.

Bart: How about Methodist?

Lisa: NOOO!

Same problem here, and now I have to make religious considerations for the new baby.  The Lutherans are running with that whole evangelical rapture crowd, which is the creepy.  And the Catholics appear to have gone all jackboot on everyone  :blink:

I was thinking voodoo.  It looks like a blast, and I want one of those dolls.  Maybe Santeria. They all have tricked out Chevy Nova's with air-shock kits to bounce with.

309075[/snapback]

Actually, some Presbyterian churches seem OK. The Unitarian ones freak me out a bit.

The scary Lutherans are the Missouri Synod ones. Whew. Talk about bassackwards.

Celibacy was in place so that family considerations wouldn't conflict with a priest's vocation. It also was supposed to prevent dynasties and other corruptions from occurring.

309088[/snapback]

I guess that didn't work, now did it? :blink:

Actually, some Presbyterian churches seem OK. The Unitarian ones freak me out a bit.

The scary Lutherans are the Missouri Synod ones. Whew. Talk about bassackwards.

309092[/snapback]

The church I was baptized/confirmed in was Missouri Synod. Safe to say I'm not active anymore.

309082[/snapback]

I agree the celibacy thing is bull sh--, hell I think there may be a kernal of truth to the Jesus/Mary Magdalene thing. But I have a hard time with people stomping their feet and saying "the church needs to change or I'm leaving'. Talk about whining. You've got your 41 flavors of religion these days, don't like the one you're with leave and find another. Become a Wiccan or a pagan and run naked through the forests for all I care. I would have 0 respect for a religion that basically said "you know what, with mass marketing and television and the internet changing the culture these days (usually for the worse), perhaps we should throw out some of the teachings we've been practicing for the last couple thousand years so the kids will think we're hip again"...

Cardinal Glick: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now we all know how the majority and the media in this country view the Catholic church. They think of us as a passe, archaic institution. People find the Bible obtuse... even hokey. Now in an effort to disprove all that the church has appointed this year as a time of renewal... both of faith and of style. For example, the crucifix. While it has been a time honored symbol of our faith, Holy Mother Church has decided to retire this highly recognizable, yet wholly depressing image of our Lord crucified. Christ didn't come to Earth to give us the willies... He came to help us out. He was a booster. And it is with that take on our Lord in mind that we've come up with a new, more inspiring sigil. So it is with great pleasure that I present you with the first of many revamps the "Catholicism WOW. " campaign will unveil over the next year. I give you... The Buddy Christ. Now that's not the sanctioned term we're using for the symbol, just something we've been kicking around the office, but look at it. Doesn't it... pop? Buddy Christ...

:blink: