(OT) Nature of athletics

Buftex

Who is the best athlete?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best athlete?

• Lance ArmstrongTiger Woods
    • Jeff Gordon

Since Lance Armstrong announced he is riding his last Tour de'France, I have heard lots of discussion about where he ranks amongst great athletes. People seem to really admire him, or argue that bike racing is a skill, not a sport. Personally, I feel the same way about golf. It is a great game, and watching guys like Tiger Woods is fun, but I don't necessarily think of golf as a sport, or golfers as necessarily being athletes. I would be willing to gamble that Lance Armstrong, even if he never picked up a golf club in his life could finish 18 holes of golf. I am not so sure that John Dailey could have finished a tour de France, even at his peak. O used to throw a pretty good dart in my day, does that mean I was an athlete....just curious as to what some of you think.....

Since Lance Armstrong announced he is riding his last Tour de'France, I have heard lots of discussion about where he ranks amongst great athletes.  People seem to really admire him, or argue that bike racing is a skill, not a sport.  Personally, I feel the same way about golf.  It is a great game, and watching guys like Tiger Woods is fun, but I don't necessarily think of golf as a sport, or golfers as necessarily being athletes.  I would be willing to gamble that Lance Armstrong, even if he never picked up a golf club in his life could finish 18 holes of golf.  I am not so sure that John Dailey could have finished a tour de France, even at his peak. O used to throw a pretty good dart in my day, does that mean I was an athlete....just curious as to what some of you think.....

308615[/snapback]

OTOH, not so sure Lance would last a two plays as an NFL running back. Differant sports, differant abilities.

I am a little biased, but Matt Biondi was one stud athlete. WR holder in swimming, and a national team water polo player. I played D1 water polo for five years, and let me tell you being a good swimmer helps, but is akin to a track guy playing football.

Lance, tiger, gordon, schumacher, and everyone else who doesn't play in the 4 major leagues are all atheletes. I can't say who's the best, but i can say that lance is the most dominant athelete of our time. Cycling is a global sport and he simply is 3 steps ahead of everyone else, like Jordan. Tiger, over his career, can become the most dominant, but right now he's coming out of a dry spell. Another reason to vote for lance is that he overcame cancer that almost killed him. (really almost killed him, not E$PN almost killed Mario Lemieux)

Since Lance Armstrong announced he is riding his last Tour de'France, I have heard lots of discussion about where he ranks amongst great athletes.  People seem to really admire him, or argue that bike racing is a skill, not a sport. 

That's irrelevant. Your question was who is the best "athlete". Anyone can be an athlete...not just a pro in the major sports. Clearly, all of the guys here and in other sports are uniquely skilled in their area, but the best athlete is clearly Lance Armstrong.

That's irrelevant.  Your question was who is the best "athlete".  Anyone can be an athlete...not just a pro in the major sports.  Clearly, all of the guys here and in other sports are uniquely skilled in their area, but the best athlete is clearly Lance Armstrong.

308729[/snapback]

I guess the reason I asked, is that the same people who don't think of Lance Armsrtrong as one of the great athletes of our time, will then mention people like Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Jim Brown, Wayne Gretzky, Tiger Woods and Jeff Gordon. I just don't see how what Tiger, or Gordon do even compares to what Lance Armstrong has done.

You meant to type Tiger Lions. He's the greatest club thrower in sports. Isn't funny ... it's 2005 and professional golfers get their own on course slave ... i MEAN CADDY ... to carry their clubs. They don't even get to pull them in a hand cart because it will put tracks in the lawn.

Men have men caddies

Chicks have men OR women caddies (I'm not comfortable with that one)

Speaking of equality .. do any PGA members have chick caddies? I think not. Isn't that a lawsuit waiting to happen?

BTW, I'm not sexist and I'm not racist. I'm just wondering ...

does it really matter who the best athlete is? the important thing is that they are the best in thier respective "sport" of choice. who cares if Lance armstrong can run faster than Jeff Gordon or if Tiger Woods can lift more weight than Anikka Sorenstam(MMMMMMMMM Annika :blink: )

Since Lance Armstrong announced he is riding his last Tour de'France, I have heard lots of discussion about where he ranks amongst great athletes.  People seem to really admire him, or argue that bike racing is a skill, not a sport.  Personally, I feel the same way about golf.  It is a great game, and watching guys like Tiger Woods is fun, but I don't necessarily think of golf as a sport, or golfers as necessarily being athletes.  I would be willing to gamble that Lance Armstrong, even if he never picked up a golf club in his life could finish 18 holes of golf.  I am not so sure that John Dailey could have finished a tour de France, even at his peak. O used to throw a pretty good dart in my day, does that mean I was an athlete....just curious as to what some of you think.....

308615[/snapback]