MNF to ESPN, SNF to NBC

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry mom....I did a search beforehand using "monday night" and "monday night football" and didn't get a hit...Guess I should of used the universal MNF ..SIGH

308548[/snapback]

I was just hoping we could merge the two threads or something. I probably just came off like an ass, sorry about that.

I'm not crazy about MNF moving to cable, it will take some of the pre-fabricated luster off the games.  All the attention will be on the Sunday night game.  As much as I love the NFL, it is hard even for me, sometimes, to justify watching 3 games in one day...in the past, the Sunday night games have always been sort of "maybe" must see!  As NBC is still a non-cable network, it seems likely they will get more of the marquee match-ups, and ESPN will get a Seattle/Arizona game, for every Redskins/Eagles!

I am, however, happy that NBC is back in the NFL game...I think they were the best!  Maybe is just feeling sentimental for the early 90's when the Bills were elite, and the games were on NBC...

308360[/snapback]

NBC WAS the best. Their pre-game show far outshines CBS's lousy product. That crew was fantastic.

Just remeber folks that your cable/dish bill is about to take a hike. ESPN charges those folks by number of subscibers, and now with Monday night they will feel they have a more valuable product. That is why Disney wanted this thing shifted to ESPN. Keep the property, but be able to charge a premium for it.

NBC sure got a nice deal it seems to me with the flex schedule. Sure gonna suck for the ticketholders in those towns where the games are swithced to Sunday night. Wonder how much in advance they will say what games they want.

MNF on ESPN - this could get ugly. Will they combine the "JACKED UP!", "BOO-YAH!" nonsense with more exploding graphics and Hank Williams Jr? Or more film breakdown and analysis by Jaws and his crews leading to a better understanding of the game? Could go either way. Maybe both.

Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see what NBC does on Sunday nights. Will the program be about football, or will it be more exploding graphics, what suit and jewelry the former loudmouth player commentator is wearing today, and how loud and obnoxious the opening music and video are?

Just remeber folks that your cable/dish bill is about to take a hike. ESPN charges those folks by number of subscibers, and now with Monday night they will feel they have a more valuable product.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard this on my way to work this morning. :w00t:

And the worst part is that ESPN/Disney won't allow cable/dish providers to put them on a separate tier. That means if you have cable/dish, you have to pay for ESPN. ;)

CW

This deal is bad for the Bills, bad for Buffalo, and bad for every other small market team in the league.

The Bills are going to have to be damn good to get on Monday Night Football for the next seven years. Why? This deal has a clause in it that allows the ABC stations in the home markets for the two teams in each game to show the game, in addition to ESPN. So we'll see even more games with teams from large markets. So when the Jests play the 9ers, the game will still be on ABC in San Fran and NYC/NJ -- I think Disney would rather that than they'd like the ABC stations in Buffalo or Green Bay to have it.

This will also limit the number of Jests/Gints games and Raider/San Fran games.

This deal is bad for the Bills, bad for Buffalo, and bad for every other small market team in the league.

The Bills are going to have to be damn good to get on Monday Night Football for the next seven years. Why? This deal has a clause in it that allows the ABC stations in the home markets for the two teams in each game to show the game, in addition to ESPN. So we'll see even more games with teams from large markets. So when the Jests play the 9ers, the game will still be on ABC in San Fran and NYC/NJ -- I think Disney would rather that than they'd like the ABC stations in Buffalo or Green Bay to have it.

This will also limit the number of Jests/Gints games and Raider/San Fran games.

308728[/snapback]

Do not quite follow your point here. If I am correct, do not stations bid for these rights.

has ABC lost there friggin minds??? how did they lose the MNF contract?

308274[/snapback]

ABC would be stupid to keep MNF at the current cost. MNF is the only reason ABC is in the red. It costs way too much and it isn't a guarenteed & untouchable #1 rating anymore like it used to be.

ABC has great programming and they probably realized that keeping a couple cool billion in their back account is pretty good.

Do not quite follow your point here. If I am correct, do not stations bid for these rights.

308761[/snapback]

My point is that Disney will want teams from larger markets, like NYC, San Fran, Boston, Miami, etc., on MNF so that they can have the games on their ABC affliates (as well as on ESPN) in the larger markets. This thinking will give advantages to larger market teams, thus being a disadvantage to ther Bills.