Any Henry for Shelton supporters still out there?

A month ago there were a rash of posts saying that TD was stupid for not taking Green up on his Shelton for Henry offer (Green originally wanted picks along with Henry which I'm sure did not sit well with TD). I'm just wondering if any of you feel the same way after hearing how the competition for Travis Henry is heating up.

TD was right. Anyone care to acknowledge TD was right and they were wrong? Or you could just wait till after the draft when it's been proven. :D

I was under the impression that Shelton was a worthwhile LT.  I guess not.

308041[/snapback]

Hes not a bad option at LT but there is a good chance LJ is a salary cap victim. There is no other interest in him around the league and he is due 3.1 million. We might be able to land him for free come June 1. TD holds all the cards. Travis is under a quite affordable contract next year. Hell Kenyatta Walker might be a salary cap cut too. We might get our LT without having to give up anything

I was under the impression that Shelton was a worthwhile LT.  I guess not.

308041[/snapback]

It's not that Shelton isn't worthwhile, it's that he's unproven. Travis Henry is proven, he's a tough-as-nails proven back to back 1,000 yard runningback. Henry always had much more value than Shelton. It's that simple.

It's not that Shelton isn't worthwhile, it's that he's unproven. Travis Henry is proven, he's a tough-as-nails proven back to back 1,000 yard runningback. Henry always had much more value than Shelton. It's that simple.

308055[/snapback]

On losing clubs. Both of them.

We'll see won't we.  You say first rounder, I say 4th or 5th. 

I still say Shelton if healthy is a great pickup for us.  But again we'll see.

308043[/snapback]

1st rounder? To my knowledge I never said we'd get Henry for a 1st rounder. If I did it, I was wrong, or I felt that in back to back seasons Travis Henry showed his ability to be equal to that of a first round pick. But if you think Travis is getting traded for a 4th or 5th rounder then there is no reasoning with you.

Slowly raising hand .......... I still think the Henry for Shelton deal would be a good one ....... but you have the terms just a little off.

TD wanted Shelton and a swap of seconds for Henry ..... which I still believe is a good deal for us.

I must admit however, that I am not astute enough to really REALLY know how good (or bad) of a LT Shelton actually is. The little I've read about him seemed to inferr that it was not an issue with his play as much as being in Greens doghouse that has him on the trading/cutting block.

But either way ..... I'd rather see us get Shelton and a move up in the second round, then an additional third or fourth from another team ..... I really don't see Travis getting us much more than that.

Slowly raising hand .......... I still think the Henry for Shelton deal would be a good one ....... but you have the terms just a little off.

TD wanted Shelton and a swap of seconds for Henry ..... which I still believe is a good deal for us.

I must admit however, that I am not astute enough to really REALLY know how good (or bad) of a LT Shelton actually is. The little I've read about him seemed to inferr that it was not an issue with his play as much as being in Greens doghouse that has him on the trading/cutting block.

But either way ..... I'd rather see us get Shelton and a move up in the second round, then an additional third or fourth from another team ..... I really don't see Travis getting us much more than that.

308062[/snapback]

Good thoughts. My inclination is to wait for veteran cuts (and although quite doubtful, perhaps some clubs are waiting for just that regarding TH - you never know). His performance in last year's early games were not what a trade partner wanted to see.

I'd be happy to get an outright #3 in the upper half of that round, and put a bit of faith in a different offensive game philosophy helping out come game day.

I'd be surprised to see him go to PHI - pass catching backs are integral to their scheme. I think TB would be the best fit.

Good thoughts.  My inclination is to wait for veteran cuts (and although quite doubtful, perhaps some clubs are waiting for just that regarding TH - you never know). His performance in last year's early games were not what a trade partner wanted to see.

I'd be happy to get an outright #3 in the upper half of that round, and put a bit of faith in a different offensive game philosophy helping out come game day.

I'd be surprised to see him go to PHI - pass catching backs are integral to their scheme.  I think TB would be the best fit.

308077[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised with a Philly trade. The Eagles have their pass catching backs and are looking for a between the tackles runner. Henry fits that role.

Unfortunately for Travis, a trade with TB or Philly does not guarantee him the featured back role. He'd be platooned with other backs in both places.

Henry's value will continue to pick up over the next couple of days. Donahoe's done a nice job of waiting this one out.

I wouldn't be surprised with a Philly trade.  The Eagles have their pass catching backs and are looking for a between the tackles runner.  Henry fits that role.

Unfortunately for Travis, a trade with TB or Philly does not guarantee him the featured back role.  He'd be platooned with other backs in both places.

Henry's value will continue to pick up over the next couple of days.  Donahoe's done a nice job of waiting this one out.

308105[/snapback]

Not so sure they've got that WCO back if Westbrook doesn't sign. Between the tackles, draftees Sproule K-State and Shelton Louisville could do the job for them. They might also consider Vandy's Tant, a blocker and has good hands.

Tant:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/tant_matthew

Not so sure they've got that WCO back if Westbrook doesn't sign. Between the tackles, draftees Sproule K-State and Shelton Louisville could do the job for them. They might also consider Vandy's Tant, a blocker and has good hands.

Tant:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/tant_matthew

308121[/snapback]

Isn't Sproles 180 lbs? Hardly a between-the-tackles runner.

None of the other guys are proven NFL runners. Philly's has extra picks this year, so why not exchange one for a back with a couple of 1,000 yard seasons behind him and an affordable contract?

And Henry isn't a replacement for Westbrook, he's an added piece to the offense. If Westbrook doesn't sign, they'll definitely need another WC back.

Guest BackInDaDay
It's not that Shelton isn't worthwhile, it's that he's unproven.

308055[/snapback]

:D

LJ Shelton was drafted in the first round of '99 and played the left tackle position in '99 and 2000. They may have expected more from him, or maybe it was just another example of the Cards pitiful front-office decision making, but in 2001 they drafted Leonard Davis with the 2nd overall pick of the draft.

Davis was never able to take the starting job from Shelton.

In Davis' first year, '01, he played RG next to Clement.

Shelton played 16 games at LT.

In Davis' second year, '02, he filled in for the injured Clement at RT.

Shelton played 16 games at LT.

It was at the end of this season that Shelton accepted his award for 'The Last Man Standing'. It was a tribute given for finishing the season on an ankle injured badly enough to require post-season surgery. LJ also received a hefty contract for several million dollars a year.

In Davis' third year, '03, Davis was back to RG, that is, when he was healthy enough to play.

Shelton played 15 games at LT, missing the final game due to severe ankle sprain.

If TD can land Shelton and move up in the 2nd, god bless him, but I don't think Shelton is being pushed out the door because Davis was better. Looks like Bidwell's are trying to rationalise their choice of Davis and his huge (7M) contract.