Bob Dylan’s new song, “Murder Most Foul.”

3 hours ago, Rico said:

So if David Palmer sang all of Steely Dan's songs instead of the incredibly weak Donald Fagen, would the band be respected more than being just a footnote in music history? :(

No because while Palmer has a stronger (and probably technically better) voice than Donald, Fagen is by far the better singer. Dylan never had a good voice, but he was a good singer nonetheless. Alas his voice as deteriorated a bit, and he also seems to be less interested in his singing these days, from what I've heard from him in recent years. Compare that to a guy like Prine. Another guy with a marginal voice, but who knows how sing. Even though his voice was ravaged by cancer and surgery, he seemed to become even more interested in his singing.

Mostly though, I  find this tune is just boring. It's funny because it sounds just like a song a friend of mine many wrote many years ago about our yearly cottage vacation in Canada. But my friend is a doctor, not a songwriter. The song is about our group of friends, so we tend to like it a bit. And quite honestly, there is more going on musically in my buddy's tune. This just doesn't seem like a great Dylan tune to me. I'm sure it's making him some cash, so good for him.

For the record, I don't think it would be a good tune even if Van Morrison sang it. It might make a decent poem, though.

Edited by The Dean

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

Good art isn't for everyone!

Yeah, it's all subjective.

I like Dylan up through about Slow Train Coming but after that it just hasn't clicked for me.

24 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Good art isn't for everyone!

Neither is bad art.

I'm a Dylan fan. So I gave the song a few more listens. Still think it's a lousy song, and nowhere near Dylan standards. But I may have been a bit too harsh on his singing. Don't get me wrong, Dylan's voice has deteriorated badly in recent years. But I now actually think he is trying to sing on this one.  It's just a brutally boring tune, IMO.  I'm also wondering if Bob just found out about the JFK assassination. The 60's were a wild time. He could have simply forgotten.  :rolleyes:  (And obviously I'm only kidding. Every tune doesn't have to be about current events.)

14 hours ago, The Dean said:

Neither is bad art.

I'm a Dylan fan. So I gave the song a few more listens. Still think it's a lousy song, and nowhere near Dylan standards. But I may have been a bit too harsh on his singing. Don't get me wrong, Dylan's voice has deteriorated badly in recent years. But I now actually think he is trying to sing on this one.  It's just a brutally boring tune, IMO.  I'm also wondering if Bob just found out about the JFK assassination. The 60's were a wild time. He could have simply forgotten.  :rolleyes:  (And obviously I'm only kidding. Every tune doesn't have to be about current events.)

I think the song is extremely relevant to the current state of the world. I think that is part of the reason it was released now, in the middle of this global event.