TD makes a comment on not having a 1st rd pick

" It will be a different type of setting waiting for 54 people to make a selection before we have a chance to get one," president and general manager Tom Donahoe said.

Barring a trade, it will be the Bills' longest wait to make their first pick since the team drafted WR Don Beebe 82nd overall in 1989. I don't know about moving into the first rd, but I can't imagine TD standing pat. Expect some kind of trade up, even if it's only earlier in the 2nd rd.

If Denny Green really thinks that Donahoe is going to wait on him, then he's got another thing coming. Matter of fact, Green just may have inspired TD to find another partner all the more. Forget Arizona and deal with someone else. Tampa would be an even better partner. Their RB situation isn't the most desireable. Let Pittman do the catching out of the backfield and Henry do the running. Here is a team that might be more willing to swap 2nd rd picks. To make it even they would have to give up their 3rd rounder outright. Buffalo would then move up 19 slots to the 36th pick (4th in the rd). Tampa's 3rd round pick is at 71 (7th in the rd). The cost wouldn't be too damaging for them. They still keep a 2nd rd pick and only give up a 3rd round pick for a starting RB. Not too shabby.

If a trade like this could go down, then this is what I would like to see Buffalo get with the picks.

2nd rd #36 (4) Northwestern's DT Luis Castillo

3rd rd #71 (7) North Carolina's C Jason Brown

3rd rd #86 (86) Oregon State's DE Bill Swancutt

4th rd #122 (21) Illinois' CB Kelvin Hayden

5th rd #156 (20) Texas Christian's TE Cody McCarty

6th rd #197 (23) Colorado State's OT Erik Pears

7th rd #236 (22) Northwestern's OLB-SS Dominique Price. Here I would think that he could be groomed to be a good back-up to ILB London Fletcher.

" It will be a different type of setting waiting for 54 people to make a selection before we have a chance to get one," president and general manager Tom Donahoe said.

Barring a trade, it will be the Bills' longest wait to make their first pick since the team drafted WR Don Beebe 82nd overall in 1989. I don't know about moving into the first rd, but I can't imagine TD standing pat. Expect some kind of trade up, even if it's only earlier in the 2nd rd.

If Denny Green really thinks that Donahoe is going to wait on him, then he's got another thing coming. Matter of fact, Green just may have inspired TD to find another partner all the more. Forget Arizona and deal with someone else. Tampa would be an even better partner. Their RB situation isn't the most desireable. Let Pittman do the catching out of the backfield and Henry do the running. Here is a team that might be more willing to swap 2nd rd picks. To make it even they would have to give up their 3rd rounder outright. Buffalo would then move up 19 slots to the 36th pick (4th in the rd). Tampa's 3rd round pick is at 71 (7th in the rd). The cost wouldn't be too damaging for them. They still keep a 2nd rd pick and only give up a 3rd round pick for a starting RB. Not too shabby.

If a trade like this could go down, then this is what I would like to see Buffalo get with the picks.

2nd rd #36  (4)    Northwestern's DT Luis Castillo

3rd rd #71  (7)    North Carolina's C Jason Brown

3rd rd #86  (86)  Oregon State's DE Bill Swancutt

4th rd #122 (21)  Illinois' CB Kelvin Hayden

5th rd #156 (20)  Texas Christian's TE Cody McCarty

6th rd #197 (23)  Colorado State's OT Erik Pears

7th rd #236 (22)  Northwestern's OLB-SS Dominique Price. Here I would think that he could be groomed to be a good back-up to ILB London Fletcher.

303283[/snapback]

I watched the video of that Monday conference. TD and Modrak were in coachspeak mode and basically said nothing. Deception and not showing your hand is the name of the game, leading up to draft day.

No one has a clue to what they are thinking.

Do people really think TH has little or no value? In comparison of veterans, he is by FAR the best all around value on the board. Henry has very appealing aspects. His contract is cheap. He is more than just a decent RB, the man runs hard. His desire to leave Buffalo and be a starter is extremely high. He is young and eager. He is also a Florida boy and I can promise you, these Florida teams do like Florida kids.

People are going to be very surprised at what Donahoe gets for compensation for Henry. No way do you let him go cheap. Once again, Tampa won't be losing a 2nd rd pick, just a 3rd. I do fully expect Donahoe to trade up somewheres. Does anybody disagree?

Draft schmaft. I think that TD at least wants to win now and its his job to do so with the added pressure of a losing record in his tenure making win now all the more important.

If TD has any other major impetus rather than win now it is REALLY WIN NOW because the team came so close to the playoffs last year.

Do people really think TH has little or no value? In comparison of veterans, he is by FAR the best all around value on the board. Henry has very appealing aspects. His contract is cheap. He is more than just a decent RB, the man runs hard. His desire to leave Buffalo and be a starter is extremely high. He is young and eager. He is also a Florida boy and I can promise you, these Florida teams do like Florida kids.

303384[/snapback]

And Add to that the long term contract that Henry will want will be more

manageable compared to what James or Alexander will want.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the win now thinking. This team not only has to make the play-offs, but be more than just a 1st rd exit. I do believe that not only does TD move up in the draft, but he also makes a trade for a high profile veteran. This I think will be accomplished with using next year's pick as a resource and possibly a non/partial ( example; Denney) starter. Could be one of our prospects in the secondary. There is no way that TD stands still and picks at 55. Just my belief.

2nd rd #36  (4)    Northwestern's DT Luis Castillo

3rd rd #71  (7)    North Carolina's C Jason Brown

3rd rd #86  (86)  Oregon State's DE Bill Swancutt

4th rd #122 (21)  Illinois' CB Kelvin Hayden

5th rd #156 (20)  Texas Christian's TE Cody McCarty

6th rd #197 (23)  Colorado State's OT Erik Pears

7th rd #236 (22)  Northwestern's OLB-SS Dominique Price. Here I would think that he could be groomed to be a good back-up to ILB London Fletcher.

303283[/snapback]

Are you still sticking by taking Castillo with our 2nd?

That was a little high for him as it was and yesterday he admitted to being a steroid abuser. Which drops him to a 2nd day selection, if at all.

I truly think Tampa will be the one that we trade with. The swapping of the 2nd rders and getting one of their 3rd rd picks (#71 & #91) would be fantastic. Would this be fair compensation?

306016[/snapback]

I'd prefer one that involved trading Henry, our 2nd, next year's 1st, and something else for their 5th pick in the 1st. :D

....... not going to happen, I know. But i'd kill to have Mike Williams on this team.

In all my posts there was only one scenario where I suggested we get into the 1st rd. In that post I said we should trade up to a early 2nd rd and then use that early 2nd rd pick and couple it with a player (like a Ryan Denney) and trade this package to someone like the Colts who pick 29th in the 1st rd. If this can't happen and we stay with just having a early 2nd rder, then I still would have no problem selecting Castillo. As a alternate thought maybe Matt Jones would have to be considered. This would address a WR/TE/H-back/slash player. This would be solely based on what Mularkey would consider more of a position of importance. No matter what happens, I would hate to lose C Jason Brown in the mix.

I'd prefer one that involved trading Henry, our 2nd, next year's 1st, and something else for their 5th pick in the 1st.  :D

....... not going to happen, I know. But i'd kill to have Mike Williams on this team.

306028[/snapback]

The best road to getting Mike Williams on the team is to trade Nate Clements. The last thing I want to see is TD pulling another Antoine Winfield--where he lets a former first round CB walk without getting compensated. CB is one of the most highly paid positions in the league, so I don't see Clements getting re-signed. I'd be in favor of trading away Clements (and if necessary throwing in Henry) for the Mike Williams pick.

19 slots in the second round AND an early 3rd round pck for Travis Henry? Not enough. This is a weak draft, right?

I say we hold out for TB's 1st and 2nd in 05 and their 1st in 06. Travis Henry is obviously a hot commodity, so we might as well get all we can for him.

303313[/snapback]

:D:D:lol: What planet am I on?

I agree. There's Matt Jones and Vincent Jackson that we could get with a 2nd, maybe a 3rd rd pick. No, we need to address the O-line, DT and you know what, LB Barrett Ruud wouldn't be a bad pick-up somewheres in the 2nd rd.

306186[/snapback]

Jones is a pretty good basketball player. NFL.com's player profile on him mentioned that is his preference. I looked at a few NBA "mock" draft sites but didn't see his name mentioned.

Dunno.

I truly think Tampa will be the one that we trade with. The swapping of the 2nd rders and getting one of their 3rd rd picks (#71 & #91) would be fantastic. Would this be fair compensation?

306016[/snapback]

I think that would be a fair trade. The draft isn't weak. It's just that there are no clear cut number ones. From what I've heard, this is one of the deepest drafts. The Bills still need a lot of "fillers" and with draft picks, they can get them, and save on the cap.