Question for VA residents

Okay, I'm a graduating school counselor and am in the process of choosing a place to live and work. So far on my list with mutual interest from both ends are as follows: City of Fredericksburg, Manassass Park City, Spotsylvania, Stafford maybe alexandria, maybe falls church. Spots in MD i'm interested in are Charles County, and Baltimore County. Any advice would be appreciated in regards to any aspect of any area. I would say Baltimore County, Charles county, manassas and stafford all pay similar. Fredericksburg, and spotsylvania are a notch below.

Wanted to add, I'm married to a nurse who will have a nursing income.

Well, I just moved to Va, but I can tell you that if real estate is anything like it is here in Richmond, you better come packing lots of dough!

It is a really nice place to live, too many Redskins fans, but still pretty cool...

Welcome to the VA/DC/MD area. While I'm not currently there I do own a townhome in Prince William County. I had been a resident of No. VA from 1995 to 2002. Realestate prices are soaring, both for rental and home ownership. I suggest a thorough financial e v a l of your situation versus your requirements as well as giving some thought to the hidden costs associated with commuting. I owned a home in Manassas (Occoquan Forest area) - nice wooded community. In addition to your MD/VA search, I know some people who are actually looking at WVA (Harpers Ferry) as an alternative to affordable and 'best value' home options. If your search is considering Frederick, MD might as well check this out.

N VA and MD are nice, but I'm afraid I can't really offer advice for lack of knowing much about the places you mentioned. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will be more than happy to share the pros and cons of their experiences in the towns/areas you mention.

Whichever you choose, best of luck to you!

Okay, I'm a graduating school counselor and am in the process of choosing a place to live and work.  So far on my list with mutual interest from both ends are as follows: City of Fredericksburg, Manassass Park City, Spotsylvania, Stafford maybe alexandria, maybe falls church.  Spots in MD i'm interested in are Charles County, and Baltimore County.  Any advice would be appreciated in regards to any aspect of any area.  I would say Baltimore County, Charles county, manassas and stafford all pay similar.  Fredericksburg, and spotsylvania are a notch below.

303179[/snapback]

Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania are still marginally affordable. N. VA is very expensive! I would recommend you look at; www.realtor.com. You can get an amazing amount of information, by referencing the locations you have mentioned. Wherever you end up, do your best to be close to your workplace. It seems like 90% of the people down here are either military or government employees, meaning unbelievable traffic Monday-Friday 0600-1900. Also, everybody is off on the weekends, soooo, the traffic is an issue for leisure activities.

On the bright side, Wegman's is in N VA. and Maryland. The VA sales tax is 4.5%, and the weather is more moderate than BUF, so it may be do-able. Good luck! :doh:

If traffic and congestion are an issue, you may want to avoid Alexandria and Falls Church.

The other posts about homes are correct. 8 years ago I bought a 3 bedroom split level home on 1/4 acre in Fairfax for 160k in a buyers' market. The tax assessment this year is 350k and I've been told that's usually less than selling price. Plus, it's more of a seller's market now (though not as much so as 6 months ago).

I don't know what type of nursing your spouse does, but there are several hospitals in the Alexandria-Arlington-Falls Church-Fairfax area (Fairfax County).

Best of luck to you.

Oh, the most important factors - there's a Bills bar called Grevey's in Falls Church and another called Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon.

Minotaur

Well, I just moved to Va, but I can tell you that if real estate is anything like it is here in Richmond, you better come packing lots of dough!

It is a really nice place to live, too many Redskins fans, but still pretty cool...

303192[/snapback]

DC resident for 15 years, Richmond for two. Need to adjust what you think a home is worth to rent/buy. Your income should make up for it. I think Richmond is ridiculously cheap, but that is after selling my house in DC.

My take, if your young and kidless, live in the district for a couple of years. Like I said, I lived there for 15 years, and to me nothing like being in the city.

However, I know you did not mention Richmond, but this actually a pretty cool place to live. For a young couple just out of school, there are some pretty cool areas in the city of Richmond to consider if you want the urban life style. If more of a suburban or country feel is wanted, that is all available, and traffic is really no concern.

I would saty away from Fredicksburg and the like. All the disadvantages of living so far away from the city center, but with really no advantage besides home prices. So many people moving to exurbs now, the infrastucture just cannot handle them. Traffic and congestion, waits at rest. etc as bad or worce than in the city proper

When I lived in MD, I had to pay 5% state income tax and additional 3 1/2 %

county income tax for Montgomerry county. Then I moved to Virginia and

I paid something like 3% state income tax. Of course the cost of buying a

home in MD and in VA are two different entities.

Good Luck.

From what I am able to discern from your post, you have a potential job opportunity in any of those places. That being said, and with your wife able to obtain a nursing position wherever you move, I would say the most affordable location would be near Fredericksburg. There is a lot of history, some good parks, and you are within reasonable traveling distance of both DC & Richmond to get some entertainment. But not a lot of activity (clubs, concerts, etc.) in F'burg. F'burg is also convenient to go to the peninsula or Eastern Shore. The traffic near DC is awful and housing prices are out of sight. F'burg is a bit more bucolic if that is what you prefer.

Send me a PM if you want more info. Good luck with your choice. I am about a half-hour from F'burg.

Okay, I'm a graduating school counselor and am in the process of choosing a place to live and work.  So far on my list with mutual interest from both ends are as follows: City of Fredericksburg, Manassass Park City, Spotsylvania, Stafford maybe alexandria, maybe falls church.  Spots in MD i'm interested in are Charles County, and Baltimore County.  Any advice would be appreciated in regards to any aspect of any area.  I would say Baltimore County, Charles county, manassas and stafford all pay similar.  Fredericksburg, and spotsylvania are a notch below.

303179[/snapback]

Live in Spotsy, work in Stafford. Stafford has a little better school system then Spotsy, Fredericksburg, Caroline, and a lot better pay. Plus the traffic to Stafford is easy. getting to Manassas and that area is very expensive and traffic sucks all the time over there.

Now you have Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg where your wife would work. They pay the same as the two Prince William Hospitals without the traffic.

If you want to know more about specific housing areas, where to live, things to do, etc...., PM me. I can give you the full run down on the area.

Just remember 95 traffic sucks, but 66 traffic doesn't move, ever.

I would saty away from Fredicksburg and the like. All the disadvantages of living so far away from the city center, but with really no advantage besides home prices. So many people moving to exurbs now, the infrastucture just cannot handle them. Traffic and congestion, waits at rest. etc as bad or worce than in the city proper

303418[/snapback]

His wife is a nurse can work at MW. He is going to be a school counsler. No reason to go to the city.

His wife is a nurse can work at MW.  He is going to be a school counsler.  No reason to go to the city.

303429[/snapback]

Uh, yea there is , the CITY :doh: I am not taking about living outside the beltway, or even in any state, but living in the District proper.

He is just out of school, no kids, move to burbs when you get old like me, When your young, no place better than the city(even when your old for that matter)

Uh, yea there is , the CITY :doh: I am not taking about living outside the beltway, or even in any state, but living in the District proper.

He is just out of school, no kids, move to burbs when you get old like me, When your young, no place better than the city(even when your old for that matter)

303436[/snapback]

Yeah but traffic at night is easy on 95, if they want to go to the city. plus the metro stops running at midnight so it doesn't help you there, doesn't run to a lot of the "better" areas in the city. So you wind up paying a shitload for a house in the district and an arm and a leg for taxi's every where.

Plus the jobs aren't there anynore. I am not sure DC even has a fully functioning hospital within city limits besides GW anymore. And the school system in DC is broken. You need a bullet proof vest.

Wherever you end up, do your best to be close to your workplace.  It seems like 90% of the people down here are either military or government employees, meaning unbelievable traffic Monday-Friday 0600-1900.  Also, everybody is off on the weekends, soooo, the traffic is an issue for leisure activities.

If your commute includes 66 or the beltway at any point, sell your car, purchase a full-size pickup, and replace the bumpers with railroad ties. Apply a little extra anti-persperant before you leave the house, and skip the extra cup of coffee - the andrenaline rush should more than make up for it.

Live in Spotsy, work in Crystal City. Daily commute sucks, but that's part of the trade off for more affordable housing. Lucky for me I bought before the market hit an upswing with real estate going up 22-30% per annum for several years now. As you know, nurses are in high demand with many hospitals (particularly Richmond) offering very generous sign on bonuses. My girlfriend works as a nurse CWJ in Richmond where she also owns a home. The Richmond housing market is more affordable than that of the Fredericksburg area; however they too are experiencing a boom in housing market.

Live in Spotsy, work in Crystal City.  Daily commute sucks, but that's part of the trade off for more affordable housing.  Lucky for me I bought before the market hit an upswing with real estate going up 22-30% per annum for several years now.  As you know, nurses are in high demand with many hospitals (particularly Richmond) offering very generous sign on bonuses.  My girlfriend works as a nurse CWJ in Richmond where she also owns a home.  The Richmond housing market is more affordable than that of the Fredericksburg area; however they too are experiencing a boom in housing market.

303571[/snapback]

Do you bus, drive or VRE?

Welcome to VA, they are right anywhere in VA right price of homes is crazy.  In Hampton Roads area avg price of home is 200K plus.  So good luck,.

303298[/snapback]

Median price of a home just went over the 500K mark in March for N. VA. MD and DC are no better. Small condos and little 2 BR houses in the region are selling for ~ 400K and are often bid up. If you're looking for a house with 3 or more BRs for under 400K then you'll likely have at least an hour commute to get anywhere close to D.C. Townhouses are like weeds down here. They're somewhat less expensive, but not much.

As one poster said, you can move out, but there are hidden costs of commuting including time and sanity. The nice thing about going south in VA is that there is the VRE (Virginia Rail Express) if you have to commute into DC or Arlington or Alexandria.

Virginia is relatively conservative while Maryland is among the four most liberal states in the nation rivaling CA, NY, and MA for top honors. It's illegal immigrant central in MD. DC is its own world.

The bottom line is that if you've been here for at least five years and have owned your own home during that time, "you're in", otherwise prepare to join the mayhem in finding a place to live.