Barnwell: All the RBs who could get paid this offseason & why recent extensions have been disasters

DCOrange

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bell, Gurley and Gordon ruined the market for the future.

...if I remember correctly, one of the very first RB's to cash in on MAJOR money was Shaun Alexander ('Hawks)...signed 8 year, $62 million dollar deal back in 2006.....production dipped 1,000 yds for 2006 and kept going down hill...

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if I remember correctly, one of the very first RB's to cash in on MAJOR money was Shaun Alexander ('Hawks)...signed 8 year, $62 million dollar deal back in 2006.....production dipped 1,000 yds for 2006 and kept going down hill...

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

The model is this: Build an All World o-line and then plug in whoever the hell you like at running back.

Of the recent running back mega extensions, which teams that doled them out are currently happy they did so? Anyone?

McCaffrey when he gets his fat @$$ check... he won't disappoint, you are looking at the future GOAT

57 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

McCaffrey when he gets his fat @$$ check... he won't disappoint, you are looking at the future GOAT

McCaffrey's great. So is Barkley. So are a handful of other guys. None of their teams are winning many games.

If we take a look at the Patriots, Ravens, 49ers, Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks, Texans, i.e. the leading teams in the league....none of them have big contract, mega-star running backs.

I just don't think that having an All World running back is going to win you many more games in the NFL in 2019 than having a pretty good one that you let walk after his rookie contract.

Give me high quality defense, offensive line, coaching, and quarterback all day. But having an elite running back in 2019? A luxury.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

McCaffrey's great. So is Barkley. So are a handful of other guys. None of their teams are winning many games.

If we take a look at the Patriots, Ravens, 49ers, Chiefs, Packers, Seahawks, Texans, i.e. the leading teams in the league....none of them have big contract, mega-star running backs.

I just don't think that having an All World running back is going to win you many more games in the NFL in 2019 than having a pretty good one that you let walk after his rookie contract.

Give me high quality defense, offensive line, coaching, and quarterback all day. But having an elite running back in 2019? A luxury.

That's why you add elite pieces at the mainstays... Kuechly, Kupp, McCaffrey, Bosa or Watt... We already have Josh Allen who would flourish with these guys around him, especially with Beasley in place and Brown. You guys forget McCaffrey is like a #1 reciever as well...

Also McCaffrey is worlds above Saquon

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

7 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I am not sure how old you are but the only back I have seen be great behind a average line is Barry Sanders. No one else has been special behind anything less than above average line for many years since 85 at least. McCaffrey is great but without money for a line I doubt he has chance to show it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am not sure how old you are but the only back I have seen be great behind a average line is Barry Sanders. No one else has been special behind anything less than above average line for many years since 85 at least. McCaffrey is great but without money for a line I doubt he has chance to show it.

Agreed. Sanders was unreal behind a sieve of a line. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

He already is showing it...

• Like (+1) 1