Do we "kill" people who are not terminal now?

The dehydration is being done in defiance of Magouirk's specific wishes, which she set down in a "living will"

Hmm... Either the hospice is unaware of the living will, or something in that story isn't quite right.

Pretty soon a VERY LARGE chunk of the budget is going to be going to grandma and grandpa for Social Security and healthcare(medicare/medicaid, call it whatever). Get ready for huge tax increases and/or cuts in many programs actually called for in the Constitution (military, upkeep of infrastructure, etc).

Here's the thing- if grandma and grandpa (or their families) can personally pay to keep the feeding tube in, fine by me. If however they want the GOVERNMENT to pay for keeping the feeding tube in, then I've got a problem with that. When did it become the governments responsibility to make sure people could live as long as possible?

It's going to get messy before it gets better.

Pretty soon a VERY LARGE chunk of the budget is going to be going to grandma and grandpa for Social Security and healthcare(medicare/medicaid, call it whatever). Get ready for huge tax increases and/or cuts in many programs actually called for in the Constitution (military, upkeep of infrastructure, etc).

Here's the thing- if grandma and grandpa (or their families) can personally pay to keep the feeding tube in, fine by me. If however they want the GOVERNMENT to pay for keeping the feeding tube in, then I've got a problem with that. When did it become the governments responsibility to make sure people could live as long as possible?

299750[/snapback]

NOBODY said that the government was being required to pay for anything here. But, even if they are, you should NEVER decide a moral issue based on monetary cost.

The dehydration is being done in defiance of Magouirk's specific wishes, which she set down in a "living will"

Hmm...  Either the hospice is unaware of the living will, or something in that story isn't quite right.

299749[/snapback]

That's why you also need to give your power of attorney (or whatever it is called) to someone.

Do "we" kill people? This, like the Schiavo case, is a family matter...perhaps one to be adjudicated in the courts to determine what the proper course of action is for a divided family to take, but a family matter nonetheless. "We" should stay the hell out of it.

Do "we" kill people?  This, like the Schiavo case, is a family matter...perhaps one to be adjudicated in the courts to determine what the proper course of action is for a divided family to take, but a family matter nonetheless.  "We" should stay the hell out of it.

300086[/snapback]

One thing the judge that made the ruling is an elected offical that doesn't have a law degree.

I read a story about a Dad who dumped scalding water on his 2 year old son becasuse he was "acting out"...I can't for the life of me figure out why he is under arrest it's a family issue.

One thing the judge that made the ruling is an elected offical that doesn't  have a  law degree.

I read a story about a Dad who dumped scalding water on his 2 year old son becasuse he was "acting out"...I can't for the life of me figure out why he is under arrest it's a family issue.

300156[/snapback]

Dead on comparison, that.

NOBODY said that the government was being required to pay for anything here.  But, even if they are, you should NEVER decide a moral issue based on monetary cost.

299758[/snapback]

You absolutely should. What if it would take 1 million dollars to save someone's life for six months. Should the govt. pay for it?

Not if my tax money is involved.

299750[/snapback]

It should be the responsibility of the family first. Evidently, one family have the nations bottom line ahead of Gramma's. It is so patriotic of her to think of us. Of course we are fast going to give Gammorrah a good name. We have already legitimizeded Sodom. Is this a great country or what!

One thing the judge that made the ruling is an elected offical that doesn't  have a  law degree.

300156[/snapback]

How about a dad who is boinking his kids. Certainly a family matter.

You absolutely should. What if it would take 1 million dollars to save someone's life for six months. Should the govt. pay for it?

Not if my tax money is involved.

300663[/snapback]

That's a pretty expensive feeding tube. Detail for me a situation where it would cost 1 mil to keep a person alive for 6 mo.