TD talkin to Lenny about O-line

Sorry if this has been posted, but in his article about the top centers Lenny P has some words from TD.

"You can't play anymore with just some grunt guy at center," acknowledged Buffalo Bills general manager Tom Donahoe. "The defenses, especially with all the 3-4 fronts now, are too complex. Play a team like New England, with all the movement they do, and you better have a center with great recognitions skills or you won't have a chance. All over the league, we're seeing a lot better player, a lot better athlete, at center now."

In fact, Donahoe's center, Trey Teague, is a good example of how the position has evolved. The seven-year veteran began his career as a left tackle in Denver, then moved to center when he signed with the Bills in 2002 as an unrestricted free agent. Now three years later, if Buffalo can't acquire a left tackle to replace Jonas Jennings, who defected to San Francisco in free agency, Teague is the top candidate to fill the vacancy.

So, does this make center a priority in the draft, or is the next guy already on the roster?

Lenny linky

To me it speaks of what the draft pick will be....but that is just MHO

299728[/snapback]

Why though? The article points out the Teague is the type of center TD is talking about. A guy that has the talent and understanding to play tackle, now playing guard.

I suppose if Shelton doesn't come in and Teague is moved out of that position, than maybe it would make sense. But, if Shelton does come in, I would expect to see Teague at center next season, and rightfully so.

Nice words from a guy who could have selected C Alex Stepanovich of OSU last year. He went to the Cards in rnd 4 and started and did well. :blink:

299757[/snapback]

Well damn...to bad he didn't have your crystal ball.

Predicting what TD will do on Draft day is like predicting which food Rosie O'Donnell won't eat at the buffet.

Impossible.

299775[/snapback]

brussel sprouts- Rosie heads straight for the desert table

Why though?  The article points out the Teague is the type of center TD is talking about.  A guy that has the talent and understanding to play tackle, now playing guard. 

I suppose if Shelton doesn't come in and Teague is moved out of that position, than maybe it would make sense.  But, if Shelton does come in, I would expect to see Teague at center next season, and rightfully so.

299767[/snapback]

Keep in mind that Teague is a free agent next year......

We are going to surround Teague with Ben Williams and Chris Villy.....who massive run blocking guys so Teague should actually do quite well this year.....

Meaning he is going to cost us next year....all the while the bills are trying to get Nate Clements resigned.

I think that first pick in the draft is going to say a lot on which way the bills are going to go.....if they go corner...then Clements days are numbered....if they go center.....Teague is here for one more year......

We are going to surround Teague with Ben Williams and Chris Villy.....who massive run blocking guys so Teague should actually do quite well this year.....

Meaning he is going to cost us next year....all the while the bills are trying to get Nate Clements resigned.

I think that first pick in the draft is going to say a lot on which way the bills are going to go.....if they go corner...then Clements days are numbered....if they go center.....Teague is here for one more year......

299831[/snapback]

Good point. TD always drafts with upcoming free agents in mind. My guess is CB in round 2 and C in round 3.

299831[/snapback]

True, but I don't think Teague is going anywhere. He did a pretty good job last year, but Centers are not like tackles...he will not be overpaid to go somewhere else next sesaon. CB is an area of concern because of FA, but I don't think center will be. JMO though.