the anti-Matt Jones

d_wag

the hype machine seems to be turned up full blast on matt jones, which may actually be warranted.......but the guy i'm more interested in is the one who has been falling down many mock boards and perhaps in many war rooms.......

heath miller didn't participate in the combine and has not worked out for one club due to a sports hernia........we have seen injuries drop more then a few guys in the draft and he could be added to the list........

he might not slip to our pick in the 2nd, but he could slip to ARZ's.......

think he's a slam dunk 1st rounder? not a chance he will slip to the 2nd? i've got two words for ya -- jason witten.......it shocked everyone when he slipped all the way to the 3rd round........

For those who don't know the draft as well as others, thanks to google, I was able to determine Heath Miller is the record setting TE from Virginia..... you know Demulling played TE in high school, imagine the possibilities we missed.

299470[/snapback]

demulling?

rick demulling?

the guy who the bills tabbed as their #1 free agent choice to play LG?

the guy who is more talented then bennie anderson?

the guy who was a better fit for the bills offensive line?

the guy who the bills snubbed so that they could go with the inferior player purely for the sake of saving a few dollars?

you can't be talking about that demulling.......he's got nothing to do with this thread, so that would just be a waste of time.........

Rather than revisit the dead horsebeaters club again, let's return to the purpose of this thread.

http://2005.otcdraft.com/content/profiles/...HeathMiller.php

Not sure he'll even make it to #44. I agree the Matt Jones hype is a little much. I don't think Jones will make it to #44 either, so I'm looking for alternatives at TE.

http://2005.otcdraft.com/content/profiles/.../AdamBergen.php

Here's a guy who impressed the heck out of the Ourlads scouts at the East-West Shrine game and the Indy combine. Could be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

I'd take Heath Miller in a heartbeat at #44, assuming his hernia isn't an issue (like it appears it will be for RB Chris Perry of the Bengals).

299605[/snapback]

Perry had some additional surgery - IIRC, the convention is to somehow patch up both sides. I'm guessing the B'gals have some confidence - to my knowledge, they've yet to ink RB Kenny Watson. Which IMO is pretty dumb; he's a good player.

I'd take Heath Miller in a heartbeat at #44, assuming his hernia isn't an issue (like it appears it will be for RB Chris Perry of the Bengals).

299605[/snapback]

How the hell is Heath Miller, the top TE in the draft; going to fall to #44?!

I for one DO want Matt Jones. After reviewing him at the combine, the Senior Bowl, and even some of his work at QB in Arkansas; I can tell you he is the real deal.

Unfortunately, I don't see him falling to #44. If he does, we'd be stupid not to draft him.

http://2005.otcdraft.com/content/profiles/.../AdamBergen.php

Here's a guy who impressed the heck out of the Ourlads scouts at the East-West Shrine game and the Indy combine. Could be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

299582[/snapback]

Gotta like his size, 6'5", 260 with a 4.84 time in the 40. Plenty of catches over the last two years, so his hands must be good. Worth a shot in a later round.

How the hell is Heath Miller, the top TE in the draft; going to fall to #44?!

I for one DO want Matt Jones. After reviewing him at the combine, the Senior Bowl, and even some of his work at QB in Arkansas; I can tell you he is the real deal.

Unfortunately, I don't see him falling to #44. If he does, we'd be stupid not to draft him.

299640[/snapback]

He's the real deal at what? We don't need a QB, so anything anyone has seen him do in the past is worthless.

He's an athlete, but he's a hell of a risk.

That the beauty of the whole thing...Jones can be whatever you want him to be!  Just don't ask him to play TE, because he has already gone on record saying he doesn't want to play there. :lol:

299666[/snapback]

Can he kick?

Can he kick?

299676[/snapback]

Of course he can kick. See below....

From espn.com

Overall: Also a three-year member of the Razorback's basketball team, Jones began his football career at Arkansas as a wide receiver. Jones was a Parade High School All American when he went 50-50 as a FG kicker with 4 of the FG from 60+ yards out. He split time at quarterback and wide receiver as a freshman in 2001 before taking over as the fulltime starting quarterback in 2002. He has had lingering injuries and he continues to be an inconsistent performer with more of a "sandlot" style than anything. However, Jones did throw for more than 5,500 yards and rush for nearly 2,000 yards as a three year starter at Arkansas. Jones is one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2005 draft class because of his versatility and rare combination of physical tools. His nonchalant attitude and seeming lack of hustle drives coaches crazy but he's a much better fit at WR than he is at QB in that regard. Jones will need to put a lot of effort into the position change if he's going to make a successful transition while elevating to the NFL level. He needs to improve his route running skills and consistency in terms of picking up the blitz. He also needs to improve his effort as a backside receiver and as a blocker. Jones will never have great initial quickness but he has exceptional speed for such a big athlete and his hands are much further along than anticipated. In our opinion, Jones has the potential to develop into a weapon as a slot-WR/H-back in the NFL similar to the type of weapon that Joe Jurevicius (Buccaneers) was for Jon Gruden prior to Jurevicius' injuries. We grade Jones out as a third round prospect but when you consider his rare combination of physical tools and the upside he offers at the NFL level, it's not unrealistic to imagine a team taking a chance on Jones in the second round of the upcoming draft.

PS This profile is from espn.com except for the sentence about him being a kicker(which I added). :lol: