Time Warner/Comcast wins Adelphia bid

Tom

So where is FoxSports-Buffalo?

I think we would have been better off with Dolanvision... :P

299399[/snapback]

You're better off with us. :lol:

P.S. Cablevision is dicking everyone over with contract negotiations for renewal of MSG/Fox Sports again. I've had to deal with some irate Mets fans. Yeah....believe it or not.....there are still some Mets fans. :lol:

I fixed your PS CL :lol:

DirecTV, on the other hand...  Great all the way around. :P

(it's been awhile since I've done that :lol: )

And in other news, here's a great cable company thread on AVSForum.com :lol:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....threadid=528206

CW

299416[/snapback]

Yeah, there are 70 million cable subscribers, and a thread by 5 people about an independent contractor screwing up is a "great cable company thread?"

If you got water running down the windows in a new house, does the entire building industry suck?

Here's my experience with the crappy cable company. I was getting pixelation on my sets - one phone call, service appointment within 2 days, guy came on time, and I got 2 brand new cable boxes (1 HD). Total cost? $0.

Care to compare how many DTV subscribers can swap out their hardware for the latest boxes for free?

Care to compare how many DTV subscribers can swap out their hardware for the latest boxes for free?

299446[/snapback]

Umm, pretty much any of them, as long as you've been a customer for over a year. I've received a free TiVo and a free HD receiver over the past few years. Oh, and the HD receiver wasn't a swap-out, it was an ADDITION.

DirecTV is #1 in customer service, Dish is #2, and cable is #3 in every independent poll.

The simple fact is that some people have good cable service in their area. Most do not.

Besides, I was just poking fun at CL. It's what I (we) do :lol:

CW

299446[/snapback]

:lol:

We did...

(Disclaimer: we've since moved and have digital cable at our new place, and for the most part, we're pretty happy. Of course, we'd be a helluva lot happier if NFL Network was added to the lineup, but our phone, internet, and cable all being on one bill is nice and we're saving a lot of money. Their techs and cust service have been not stellar, but adequate all the same.)

You're better off with us.    :lol:

P.S. Cablevision is dicking everyone over with contract negotiations for renewal of MSG/Fox Sports again. I've had to deal with some irate Mets fans. Yeah....believe it or not.....there are still some Mets fans.    :lol:

299408[/snapback]

Mets fans :lol:

WHY??? :P

I've had T-W for 7 years now. I can only recall 4 or 5 times when it went out - weather-related. I had 1 service call, and they fished some new coax cable inside the house for free.

I recently changed from analog to digital (had no choice), and it included a DVR, which I like.

I won't argue if it's cheaper or better/worse than dish service, but I'm pleased.

Everyone in Buffalo, here's a tip --- Get a dish!!

Time Warner stinks!!

299596[/snapback]

RJ, as someone who has had to deal with Adelphia and Time Warner. Time Warner is 1000% better than Adelphia ever was towards me. Also, Time Warner was considerably cheaper.

And at the end of the day, that's really all that matters :lol:

299615[/snapback]

And that's what I've been saying all along. It all depends on your own situation. For many, satellite rocks. For many, cable is great. That's why my advice is always to determine what you want from your TV provider, and then decide which one to choose.

RJ, as someone who has had to deal with Adelphia and Time Warner. Time Warner is 1000% better than Adelphia ever was towards me. Also, Time Warner was considerably cheaper.

299616[/snapback]

I think I dealt with Adelphia in Buffalo back when I was in college and don't recall ever having a problem. Plus, I like that deal they used to have: 99 bucks for all the cable channels and high speed internet.

Here's why I dislike Time Warner:

1. Poor channel selection for sports fans. We can get 70 Lifetime networks but it takes an act of congress to add a new sports channel.

2. They charge more for HD service and don't offer more than a few channels.

3. The price: They charge an arm and a leg for service. My friend dropped TW and went with a dish and he gets more channels for 20 bucks less a month.

4. High speed internet: It's slow and spam is a big problem with your email.

5. Uniformed customer service people. I call to ask a question and it takes 10 minutes just to get a human on the phone who usually can't answer my question anyways.

299626[/snapback]

I'm not sure I'm following how the amount of spam in your inbox can be used to evaluate an ISP. What would the ISP have to do with it?

I'm not sure I'm following how the amount of spam in your inbox can be used to evaluate an ISP. What would the ISP have to do with it?

299636[/snapback]

Time Warner claims it blocks spam. I use their email services and seemed to get more now that ever before. A few of my friends have the same problem.

I think I dealt with Adelphia in Buffalo back when I was in college and don't recall ever having a problem. Plus, I like that deal they used to have: 99 bucks for all the cable channels and high speed internet.

299626[/snapback]

How long ago was this "deal"? I have Adelphia digital cable and powerlink without any premium channels and I'm over $110 a month.

299636[/snapback]

The ISP should be able to filter incoming spam using a product like Spam Assassin or Brightmail.

CW

Time Warner claims it blocks spam. I use their email services and seemed to get more now that ever before. A few of my friends have the same problem.

299639[/snapback]

My cable ISP (Cox) claims to have a spam blocker as well. I finally got around to activating it on my email accts, but I don't see much of a difference either - I think the spammers are figuring out ways around them.

My email client is Thunderbird by Mozilla, and I've been very happy with the filtering they use. I trained it to identify what is and isn't spam, and now 99% of the spam I get doesn't see the inbox - it goes right into the junk folder. If you're getting that much spam, maybe you should give Thunderbird a try for a few weeks and see if it's any better. Just a thought...

haha Brightmail sucks....

299649[/snapback]

Why do you say that? Our testing at work shows that it's doing a very good job and we're looking to implement it into production soon.

CW

299626[/snapback]

I seriously doubt they will slow down the hardware they have in place now via Adelphia Powerlink...

That would make no sense.

The one complaint I have heard though ( and googled ) is that they do put a download limit on your connection...If they determine you are downloading too much you will get a warning letter, if you do it again they will suspend your account :lol:

THAT SUCKS..

Why do you say that?  Our testing at work shows that it's doing a very good job and we're looking to implement it into production soon.

CW

299680[/snapback]

Because it does not work...

It does not filter email that comes in properly and there is no way for a customer to edit the spam list ...

I am relieved I will no longer need to deal with Adelphia for broadband service.  Any idea how much TW charges for their broadband (interested in just the broadband price without any cable service).

299691[/snapback]

Why do you say that, what kind of problems are you having?

Because it does not work...

It does not filter email that comes in properly and there is no way for a customer to edit the spam list ...

299687[/snapback]

Or the fact that a lot of these anti-spam lists are made by webhosting companies. What they do is blacklist a lot of their competitors IP's, and then sell these list to ISP. The webhosting field can be really shady.

Or the fact that a lot of these anti-spam lists are made by webhosting companies.  What they do is blacklist a lot of their competitors IP's, and then sell these list to ISP.  The webhosting field can be really shady.

299699[/snapback]

That's not a limitation with Brightmail, that's the ISPs fault.

I was just wondering about Brightmail the product, as our tests here show that it's working very well. Wasn't sure why he didn't like it.

CW

I am relieved I will no longer need to deal with Adelphia for broadband service.  Any idea how much TW charges for their broadband (interested in just the broadband price without any cable service)?

299691[/snapback]

I believe broadband without cable will run you 49.95 a month. If you have cable you can get one year at 29.95 a month, then it jumps to 39.95. Don't even pay the 39.95 though. Just call up and say you're switching to Frontier DSL because of the price and they'll keep extending the offer. Dirty crooks.

I beleive broadband with cable will run you 49.95 a month. If you have cable you can get one year at 29.95 a month, then it jumps to 39.95. Don't even pay the 39.95 though. Just call up and say you're switching to Frontier DSL because of the price and they'll keep extending the offer. Dirty crooks.

299720[/snapback]

$39.95 is a very good price for Broadband

We charge $42.95 for download speed up to 4000kb and upload speed up to 384kb, well actually the boot file is at 420kb.

think about how much AOL is, $24.95 or something and the MOST you can get is up to 56k, which most of the time does not happen...