Bills Snap Count vs the Giants

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you should take your own advice.  

All I have said is that once I see the snap counts significantly reduced, I’ll start believing more that he’s a bad as you say he is.  Same argument since August.  It seems you have a real problem with my wait and see approach...you want me to just agree with you and don’t like it if I don’t automatically.

I have my own take, I’ve clearly said multiple times that I don’t think he’s as bad as you make him out to be.  That doesn’t mean I think he’s great.  Thats literally my stance.

I understand his box score numbers.

I also know that he’s out there a lot.  Second most behind Oliver for snaps on this rotation.

He’s continually being sent out there as a starter.

If we see a noticeable difference in his PT, then I can acknowledge more that he’s just god awful.  He’s not going to be out there for the amount of snaps he’s getting if he’s that bad.  Let’s see if this week we start seeing his PT reduced.  If not, I will think he’s doing enough to keep playing, especially since we have younger talent behind him.

I actually agree with you that the snap counts are indicative of something. My guess is that he doesn't really make mistakes, adheres to his lane, and doesn't get pushed around. That's worth something, I guess (especially not making mistakes on assignments and avoiding getting flattened by o-linemen). But at some point, you gotta make some plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I actually agree with you that the snap counts are indicative of something. My guess is that he doesn't really make mistakes, adheres to his lane, and doesn't get pushed around. That's worth something, I guess (especially not making mistakes on assignments and avoiding getting flattened by o-linemen). But at some point, you gotta make some plays. 

Like I said, right now, his #1 contribution is that he can take a good number of snaps in the rotation. And I know that sounds like a tongue-in-cheek comment, but it's not entirely.  Not every DT is built to take the number of snaps that he is without getting injured, so there's at least some value there.

Interesting that the Bills have had 6 Defensive players on the field for 100% of the snaps through the first 2 games.   They might be the only team in the league with 6 players who haven't left the field.     The Bengals for comparison only  have 1 player, Free Safety Jessie Bates, who has played every defensive snap both games.     Although Cinci did have all 4 primary DBs play 100% in week 2.

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/buffalo-bills-snap-counts

Trent Murphy again leading defensive lineman with 63% of the snaps.  Followed by Oliver at 60%, followed by Hughes at 59%.

Everyone else about the same (Star, both Phillips and Shaq).  Shaq had the biggest jump with 7 more on field plays this week.

For offense, DiMarco had the biggest noticeable decline.  48% to 21%.

Zay and Gore got the biggest incline with 42% to 59%/28% to 45%.

Offense will likely vary more week to week as they deploy certain personnel to take advantage of weaker matchups...