Bills Snap Count vs the Giants

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/buffalo-bills-snap-counts

Trent Murphy again leading defensive lineman with 63% of the snaps.  Followed by Oliver at 60%, followed by Hughes at 59%.

Everyone else about the same (Star, both Phillips and Shaq).  Shaq had the biggest jump with 7 more on field plays this week.

For offense, DiMarco had the biggest noticeable decline.  48% to 21%.

Zay and Gore got the biggest incline with 42% to 59%/28% to 45%.

The reduced snaps for Singletary (48 to 25) and his low number of touches in this game was a head scratcher. Given that there is a big drop off in production in offensive skill positions after Brown and Beasley, you would think they would want to get the ball into the hands of another natural playmaker more. I don't think there is any question that Singletary has that natural playmaking ability. 

I really love what they are doing on offense and this would be my only real question mark so far.

Edited by billsfan1959

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So per the comments in the Athletic article about H Phillips taking snaps away from Star and playing with the "1's " in the 2nd half, anyone know what would be the cap hit on Star if they cut him after this year?

Well Star only had one less snap this week than he had last week.  Right now Oliver is dominating with snaps.

I'm surprised with Jordan Phillips in the mid to low 20's percent.

Looks like our core DT rotation is Oliver/Star/Harrison Phillips.  

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/buffalo-bills-snap-counts

Trent Murphy again leading defensive lineman with 63% of the snaps.  Followed by Oliver at 60%, followed by Hughes at 59%.

Everyone else about the same (Star, both Phillips and Shaq).  Shaq had the biggest jump with 7 more on field plays this week.

For offense, DiMarco had the biggest noticeable decline.  48% to 21%.

Zay and Gore got the biggest incline with 42% to 59%/28% to 45%.

Star was pathetic out there yesterday..........they are stuck with him cuzza the $26M guarantees but McD gotta' be thinking about Vincent Taylor sitting on the PS while he's playing a guy that's getting spun around like a top out there.  

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well Star only had one less snap this week than he had last week.  Right now Oliver is dominating with snaps.

True count was the same, but the point was that Phillips snaps were with the other starters in the 2nd half at the expense of Star.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Star was pathetic out there yesterday..........they are stuck with him cuzza the $26M guarantees but McD gotta' be thinking about Vincent Taylor sitting on the PS while he's playing a guy that's getting spun around like a top out there.  

I see you are still on your Star crusade.

He's still getting snaps and not deactivated like you suggested was a possibility a month ago.  

Until I we see significant snaps reduced, I think he's doing at least adequately.  McDermott isn't going to continue to play him if he's as bad as you say he is.

Let see what happens this next week.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'll look it up later  today.  They should have it up at some point.

My impression of the game was that McD had Shaq at RDE and DJ at LDE a bit more in the first half because they can set the edge better than Jerry and Trent, and that was part of the "stop Barkley" game plan.  Curious to know if this was true...?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

True count was the same, but the point was that Phillips snaps were with the other starters in the 2nd half at the expense of Star.

I would guess them being down by two scores for a lot of the 2nd half and them forced to pass more...I would say that had something to do with it but who knows.

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Jordan Phillips is more a penetrating, pass rush DT, correct?   It seems after the first drive, all hands on deck, and all schemes, were directed towards making sure Barkley wouldn't beat us.

20 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So per the comments in the Athletic article about H Phillips taking snaps away from Star and playing with the "1's " in the 2nd half, anyone know what would be the cap hit on Star if they cut him after this year?

This year is a touch early too cut Star and we’d still incur a good bit of dead cap. 

However if his snaps continue to decline and he becomes blatantly useless, the Bills can cut him at the conclusion of the 2020 season (next year) and only bring on $5.2M in dead cap and void the last two years of his contract.  Looking a little far into the future right now, but this scenario would not surprise me one bit as of right now. 

24 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The reduced snaps for Singletary (48 to 25) and his low number of touches in this game was a head scratcher. Given that there is a big drop off in production in offensive skill positions after Brown and Beasley, you would think they would want to get the ball into the hands of another natural playmaker more. I don't think there is any question that Singletary has that natural playmaking ability. 

I really love what they are doing on offense and this would be my only real question mark so far.

He did get hurt, I realize that was late in the game, but would have some of an impact. One theory is that they are saving him so that there isnt an abundance of game film on him, making it easier for coaches to stop him. Saving him for the pats game if you will. 

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would guess them being down by two scores for a lot of the 2nd half and them forced to pass more...I would say that had something to do with it but who knows.

So the just of the article was " Hmmmmm.... this is interesting, was it a fluke, or is this something to watch going forward"

33 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Their use of Singletary kinda reminds me of how the Saints used Kamara his rookie year. I don't think it's anything to get up in arms about. In fact, their judicious use of him is likely what leads to his ultra-productivity. 

Edited by MDH

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Jordan Phillips is more a penetrating, pass rush DT, correct?   It seems after the first drive, all hands on deck, and all schemes, were directed towards making sure Barkley wouldn't beat us.

Jordan can play both.  I noticed in some pass rush packages, Lorax and J. Phillips in the middle.  

Our second team DT rotation that I generally see both Phillips out there most of the time.  I'm not sure who plays 1 or the 3 in that case.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I see you are still on your Star crusade.

He's still getting snaps and not deactivated like you suggested was a possibility a month ago.  

Until I we see significant snaps reduced, I think he's doing at least adequately.  McDermott isn't going to continue to play him if he's as bad as you say he is.

Let see what happens this next week.

Why do you think he didn't sniff a tackle yesterday but Harrison Phillips had 3 and a PD in the same amount of snaps?  

Harrison Phillips isn't a world beater but he makes the plays that are presented to him...........there is a minimum amount of athleticism and agility required at the position and I think Star has graduated to black hole status.  

I mentioned this after week one but it shouldn’t surprise anyone that Singletary’s snap count went down in favour of Gore. The discrepancy between those two in pass protection is glaring. Frank might be better than Fred Jackson. Watch Gore in JA’s sweep right for the TD. He’s basically playing FB.

I wouldn’t go so far as say Singletary is a train wreck on passing plays but he’s definitely looked like a rookie so far (especially in preseason) in that regard. 

Edited by VW82

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why do you think he didn't sniff a tackle yesterday but Harrison Phillips had 3 and a PD in the same amount of snaps?  

Harrison Phillips isn't a world beater but he makes the plays that are presented to him...........there is a minimum amount of athleticism and agility required at the position and I think Star has graduated to black hole status.  

Well then we should see a significant decrease in his snaps next week then right?