PFF Ranks for Bills

Reader

39 minutes ago, Reader said:

I appreciate the response and I think you are right. I guess for me it's trying to find that balance of PFF is laughable to PFF is gospel and I guess I err on the side of the latter in an attempt to balance how I feel most of the board leans towards the former.

I see PFF as neither of those.  The balance in my mind is more along the lines of a sundial.  Fairly accurate at certain times of the day and

not so much at night.

20 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Using letter grades would be a crude form of error margin which would be an improvement. 

I seriously doubt what is available to the NFL teams is available to the general public. I suspect they have at least 2 markets, pro/college, and consumer where the products are significantly different. I would also expect the pro/college products are customized (big bucks there) to the customers specs and heavily quantitative. The consumer products OTOH are highly subjective that appeal to the general publics desire. 

As much as we hate the hoodie we respect his knowledge of football. Here is what he has to say:

https://bostonsportsmedia.com/2014/06/04/can-pro-football-focus-stats-be-blindly-trusted/

Moral of the story. If people want something that is not possible to provide someone will provide a product that looks like it.

I agree with everything Belichick said about it by the way. And I have said from the start of this conversation that football does not easily lend itself to providing a numerical value to every play. You are arguing against a point I am not making. 

If your point is any number applied to anything that has an element of subjectivity is therefore worth squat then that is where we disagree. PFF has a value. It alone doesn't prove anything and shouldn't be used as such. But there is lots of valuable real data in their work and the subjective grading elements have a purpose if only an indicative one that still requires the user / consumer to understand and account for other variables.