Once Upon a Time In The NFL

major

5 hours ago, major said:

The new Tarantino film shows the transition from from film to tv in 1969. I feel we are in a similar time where we’ve transitioned from tv to streaming. With this transition, will the NFL be as successful in the next 10 years or will it fade? Reason I ask is because my kids (generation z) and millennials don’t seem to care about NfL anymore (or other major sports for that matter). I’m starting to feel major sports will be like boxing in the next 10 years. It’s there, but not near as popular 

My millennial nephews light my phone up a dozen times a day with Bills and Sabres chatter.  Can't agree with your premise.

My kids are 11 & 13, they're both NFL fanatics. They're in multiple fantasy football leagues with kids their own age who are into it. There are plenty of today's youth who will be NFL fans for life.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's somewhat of a concern and why the NFL continues to make offenses more prolific.

180928_gen-z_fullwidth.png

https://morningconsult.com/2018/10/15/past-time-for-the-pastimes-nfl-and-mlb-lose-ground-with-gen-z/

I think the NBA may eclipse the NFL in the future. I can see it legit blowing up right now.. and the league's doing a lot of things right.

But the NFL is clearly still going to be strong for the foreseeable future. People claiming kneeling and injuries are losing viewership are not seeing correlation over causation. It's just cord cutting.. and that will be more efficiently monetized eventually. But the NFL / NBA split is going to lose some NFL fans to the youth to a degree.

NBA is a personality driven Soap Opera storyline added to sports where players can shift power like it's game of thrones.. and it's awesome haha. Just a different sports experience really. So people will have their preferences between enjoying the storyline, or feeling it detracts from the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Exactly. It might be that most people who chose NBA have NFL as their second favorite, but most people who chose NFL don't watch the NBA at all.

As an example, there were 9 million more viewers for the 1st round of the NFL draft than for an NBA playoff game the same night:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-first-round-of-the-2019-nfl-draft-had-almost-9-million-more-viewers-than-the-nba-playoffs/ar-BBWl7DX

The NFL is in better shape than ever. I think social media and streaming options have actually benefited them quite a bit. It's easier than ever for fans to watch highlights and interact with each other and their team.

I've become infatuated with the NBA recently, but it hasn't changed my NFL activity one bit. NFL just doesn't take nearly as much time as the other leagues. The only thing really is the NFL offseason just sucks in comparison to NBA. I completely tune out until regular season begins whereas in the past I'd watch the draft and meticulously monitor Free Agent moves.

The survey may apply better between sports that have similar schedules.. NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS. But it's hard for any league to detract from the NFL. With just 16 games mostly on Sundays anybody that enjoys football can tune in for a bit without detracting from NBA etc. If there's only 16 games and you enjoy the sport you're gonna watch NFL and not be terribly worried about missing 1 of 82 NBA games.