OT-Night Terrors

Kent14

One of the women who works with me thinks her 2 year old son is having night terrors.  We did a little research on the internet but I wondered if anyone here had witnessed it or heard of it.  Thanks.

22036[/snapback]

Yeah after the Bills play on MNF I experiance it..... ;)

Sorry...no Ive never heard of it.

Heard of it? I had them when I was a kid, a very frightening experience. I was a little older than your coworker's son, I was around 7 or 8 when I had them. The best way I can describe them to you is having a nightmare while you are awake. Imagine being fully awake, but seeing things that you know cannot really occur. The thing is, you aren't really awake, you are only partly awake while the rest of your mind still sleeps and creates these illusions. I know this sounds all freaky and weird, but its very difficult to explain what you see. The one that I remember the best is sitting up in my bed and seeing the window getting bigger and bigger, and then opening like a mouth. Not a very easy thing to handle for a 7 year old, let alone a 2 year old who has no real grounds of reality at this point.

Something usually initiates the night terrors, like for me they would occur when I got overheated during the nights if I had too many blankets on. Its a very odd occurance, and something that really isnt understood quite yet since it seems to be different for everyone. Going though them is very scary, but usually I wouldnt remember EXACTLY what happened the following morning and wouldnt remember being woken up by my parents in the middle of having them.

Night Terrors Symptoms: Sudden awakening from sleep, persistent fear or terror that occurs at night, screaming, sweating, confusion, rapid heart rate, inability to explain what happened, usually no recall of "bad dreams" or nightmares, may have a vague sense of frightening images. Many people see spiders, snakes, animals or people in the room, are unable to fully awake, difficult to comfort, with no memory of the event on awakening the next day.

Heard of it?  I had them when I was a kid, a very frightening experience.  I was a little older than your coworker's son, I was around 7 or 8 when I had them.  The best way I can describe them to you is having a nightmare while you are awake.  Imagine being fully awake, but seeing things that you know cannot really occur.  The thing is, you aren't really awake, you are only partly awake while the rest of your mind still sleeps and creates these illusions.  I know this sounds all freaky and weird, but its very difficult to explain what you see.  The one that I remember the best is sitting up in my bed and seeing the window getting bigger and bigger, and then opening like a mouth.  Not a very easy thing to handle for a 7 year old, let alone a 2 year old who has no real grounds of reality at this point.

Something usually initiates the night terrors, like for me they would occur when I got overheated during the nights if I had too many blankets on.  Its a very odd occurance, and something that really isnt understood quite yet since it seems to be different for everyone.

22057[/snapback]

Sounds more like LSD than night terrors. ;)

Something usually initiates the night terrors, like for me they would occur when I got overheated during the nights if I had too many blankets on. 

22057[/snapback]

This is kinda what she's banking on, and from most of the sites we checked this seems to be the most common factor. Thanks all for the input. I can't imagine how I would have felt had I witnessed one of these things.

Heard of it?  I had them when I was a kid, a very frightening experience.  I was a little older than your coworker's son, I was around 7 or 8 when I had them.  The best way I can describe them to you is having a nightmare while you are awake.  Imagine being fully awake, but seeing things that you know cannot really occur.  The thing is, you aren't really awake, you are only partly awake while the rest of your mind still sleeps and creates these illusions.  I know this sounds all freaky and weird, but its very difficult to explain what you see.  The one that I remember the best is sitting up in my bed and seeing the window getting bigger and bigger, and then opening like a mouth.  Not a very easy thing to handle for a 7 year old, let alone a 2 year old who has no real grounds of reality at this point.

Something usually initiates the night terrors, like for me they would occur when I got overheated during the nights if I had too many blankets on.  Its a very odd occurance, and something that really isnt understood quite yet since it seems to be different for everyone.  Going though them is very scary, but usually I wouldnt remember EXACTLY what happened the following morning and wouldnt remember being woken up by my parents in the middle of having them.

22057[/snapback]

My four year old and two year old sons have both had them. Very scary. When you try to "talk them off the ledge", they act as if you're not there or they can't hear you....takes a while for them to calm down and come back to reality.

I hope I'm not the common denominator in their terrors! ;);)

Scary stuff. They do grow out of it though. My son had them. Not every night, just occasionally. Over about 4-5 years. In his case he would get up out of bed looking for me. He would be shaking and agitated and inconsolable all the while still asleep. He didn't scream and cry or anything, more like he whimpered. He would just look terrified. And he never remembered any of it. One time he actually unlocked the door and let himself out of the apartment in the middle of the night. Thank god I was living upstairs from my sister at the time and he just went downstairs looking for me, he told her I wasn't home and he couldn't find me. She brought him back up to me, and he still insisted I wasn't there, he couldn't see me right in front of his face. In his case, I think it was stress due to his parents splitting up. Needless to say I'm glad he doesn't do that anymore!

My sister-in-law said my youngest nephew had 'em. I told her to just slap him a few times and he'd wake up. She didn't go for it. What do I know, I'm not a parent!

I just wind 'em up and then hand 'em off to the parents!

Being the uncle is cool!

My daughter had them for about 3 years, but only occasionally. The only thing that settled her was my voice. My wife couldnt calm her down, but if I went in and just talked to her in a soothing voice, you know "daddy's here, it's OK." kind of stuff and she would calm down. It is very spooky to here the kid dreaming and to here the fear in their voices....

The good news is, they grow out of that phase like all others....(at least mine have so far....12 and 11, I hope they out grow teenage phase )

yes. it's real. it's a recognized sleep disorder. I was misdiagnosed with it as a kid. Turns out I had sleep paralysis...a similar disorder.

22159[/snapback]

I still have bouts of sleep paralysis now and then. Imagine being awake but unable to move. Or if you're able to move, it's like moving through molasses. You can also experience the sensation of floating, or having a big weight crushing down on you (and no, it's not that fat chick you picked up at the bar last night). ;)

Well, from what i can remember in my psych classes, nightmares are REM or shallow sleep dreams. These are the ones where your brain organizes thoughs and stuff, so you dream wacky stuff about what normally happens to you throughout the day.

Night terrors happen in delta sleep, or deep sleep (or is it beta sleep... can't really remember). These are the sudden, terrifying dreams that you have and are awoken suddenly: Like falling out of bed, or something like that. I can't really remember the treatment, but try the temperature thing, or maybe give the person a different pillow to adjust to the way the body sleeps. Leave a small light on, or turn one off to make it darker. I'm not really sure of a treatment, as its been a few years since i had that class, but experiment.

Guest eastcoastgal

Our youngest had night terrors, it was horrible.

He would wake up screamng and look straight at us but not see us.

I wouuld hold him and sing to him goofy little made up songs. He would eventually fall back asleep.

The weather channel seemed to soothe him sometimes.