800+ Comments, 11k+ views on Shiavo...

(on this board) and nothing about the Pope?

Some of of more cynical commentators will no doubt weigh in...I wonder how Michael Jackson IS doing, hmmm :angry:

I have not turned on the television and do not plan to, until basketball comes on, but I was sickened last evening at the media "death watch". B-) Somehow a false alarm was raised here and one cathedral even starting tolling the bells and unfurled the funereal flags. Ugh. I'm not slamming the people who are there to pray - I'm talking about the play-by-play talking head crap as if this was a spectator sport.

I'm a Roman Catholic, and for all I think that many times the Church is out of touch, I have been impressed by this Pope and believe that only when he's gone will the world realize that there was actually ONE truly good person in a leadership role ... albeit with little political power.

In any event I pray that he's not suffering ... and that if he goes soon he goes with peace.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of of more cynical commentators will no doubt weigh in...I wonder how Michael Jackson IS doing, hmmm :angry:

I have not turned on the television and do not plan to, until basketball comes on, but I was sickened last evening at the media "death watch". B-)  Somehow a false alarm was raised here and one cathedral even starting tolling the bells and unfurled the funereal flags.  Ugh.  I'm not slamming the people who are there to pray - I'm talking about the play-by-play talking head crap as if this was a spectator sport.

I'm a Roman Catholic, and for all I think that many times the Church is out of touch, I have been impressed by this Pope and believe that only when he's gone will the world realize that there was actually ONE truly good person in a leadership role ... albeit with little political power.

In any event I pray that he's not suffering ... and that if he goes soon he goes with peace.

294135[/snapback]

There's nothing political about the Pope. There's nothing to debate.

The political ramblings will start once they try to select a new pope.  Should be interesting.  I'm not catholic, but the politics of selecting a new pope intrigues me.

294161[/snapback]

Well, there are plenty of discussions on this board that have little or nothing to do with politics. I thought this being a historic event that affects people worldwide that it might be of interest.

There was an article this morning about possible successors. The only thing they seem to agree on is that it will be a cold day in hell when an American becomes Pontiff.

At least most of the potential successors seem to be youngish so that they will potentially have a long tenure like John Paul's. I imagine that the electors will probably look for someone "like" him - he was extremely popular worldwide and seems to have been a man of common sense.

I'm not so sure we'll see this unfold for awhile yet. I have a feeling he may just pull through this one. He nixed going to the hospital, accepting that it's his time, but that doesn't mean it'll happen...we shall see.

There's nothing political about the Pope.  There's nothing to debate.

294155[/snapback]

Oh for goodness sakes ARE YOU SERIOUS? I thought Alaska Darin has said some pretty dumb things my short time back but this takes the cake.

The Catholic Church (and by extension the Pope) has butted its head in nearly everything, probably since the church was invented.

That's just a glaring fact I can't believe anyone could ignore.

Religion, any damn religion, IS POLITICS!

Oh for goodness sakes ARE YOU SERIOUS? I thought  Alaska Darin has said some pretty dumb things my short time back but this takes the cake.

The Catholic Church (and by extension the Pope) has butted its head in nearly everything,  probably since the church was invented.

That's just a glaring fact I can't believe anyone could ignore.

Religion, any damn religion, IS POLITICS!

294282[/snapback]

His death is not a political event. When I wrote that, he was still alive and there was nothing political about him any more - he was dying. That's all.

If you want to discuss the Church's role in world events, fine, but don't look in my direction - I don't feel like talking about it today.

His death is not a political event.  When I wrote that, he was still alive and there was nothing political about him any more - he was dying.  That's all.

If you want to discuss the Church's role in world events, fine, but don't look in my direction - I don't feel like talking about it today.

294301[/snapback]

Yeah, I can understand that.

Sorry.

I have not turned on the television and do not plan to, until basketball comes on, but I was sickened last evening at the media "death watch". B-)  Somehow a false alarm was raised here and one cathedral even starting tolling the bells and unfurled the funereal flags.  Ugh.  I'm not slamming the people who are there to pray - I'm talking about the play-by-play talking head crap as if this was a spectator sport.

294135[/snapback]

The pope's dying a natural and peaceful death in his old age that has no controversy surrounding it, save the pitiful excuse for an argument you're trying to manufacture. As a fellow crap-throwing monkey, I welcome the attempt.

The pope's dying a natural and peaceful death in his old age that has no controversy surrounding it, save the pitiful excuse for an argument you're trying to manufacture.  As a fellow crap-throwing monkey, I welcome the attempt.

294328[/snapback]

I'm not trying to manufacture an argument at all. I would have expected to come here and find people as disgusted as me that Muffy and Bif the talking heads were doing a play-by-play report last night on his dying.

Or something - like may a mention and acknowledgement that it was happening.

That's all. Something.

there really isn't anything political about the pope's death. its not going to cause a major upheaval in the catholic church and as it relates to terri schiavo, the pope made his wishes known that he wanted to die naturally and not be prolonged

the political discussion will come shortly when a new pope is selected

according to St Malacy's prophecy, the next pope will be Gloria Olivae (Glory of the Olives). JPII was De Labore Solis (Labor of the Sun), and the connection there is supposed to be that he was born during an eclipse

The next Pope is also 2nd to last on his list... :)

You should date RCow.  :devil:

294362[/snapback]

Your continued obsession with someone who hasn't posted in months seems a little odd. So he called the election wrong. So what. He was far from being the only one. In fact, I seem to remember a particular thread entitled "It's over guys". Wonder who posted that?

I'm not trying to manufacture an argument at all.  I would have expected to come here and find people as disgusted as me that Muffy and Bif the talking heads were doing a play-by-play report last night on his dying.

Or something - like may a mention and acknowledgement that it was happening.

That's all.  Something.

294335[/snapback]

This is not a commune or a news board. It's a politics board, fueled mostly by disagreement. Those who would disagree with the Pope are not posting out of respect (probably). Those who agree with the Pope have little to say at the moment. Therefore, no posts.

Once the new names start floating, and the Pope is laid to rest, I'm sure you will see some Catholic bashing. Come back in a week for Lions vs. Christians.

according to St Malacy's prophecy, the next pope will be Gloria Olivae (Glory of the Olives). 

So he will either be from Spain or Italy since those are the primary olive growing countries. I think the Italians will want to take back the papacy.

So he will either be from Spain or Italy since those are the primary olive growing countries.  I think the Italians will want to take back the papacy.

295349[/snapback]

Of course they grow plenty of olives in Greece, the US, Mexico, and quite a few other countries. But let's not let that stand in the way of your fantasies. :devil:

Of course they grow plenty of olives in Greece, the US, Mexico, and quite a few other countries.  But let's not let that stand in the way of your fantasies.  :devil:

295376[/snapback]

What are the chances of a Greek, American or Mexican Pope?

What are the chances of a Greek, American or Mexican Pope?

295377[/snapback]

I believe Carrera has a good shot. very conservative, head of the largest Arch diocese in the world in Mexico City, plus there is talk of a Latin American Pope. They want one who is close to the US but not from the US.

I believe Carrera has a good shot.  very conservative, head of the largest Arch diocese in the world in Mexico City, plus there is talk of a Latin American Pope. They want one who is close to the US but not from the US.

295384[/snapback]

Does the church want a conservative Pope, or are they going to want someone more liberal?