BillsFan4

Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20 - training camp starts Sept. 12th. 1st preseason game Sept. 16th

A bit surprised by Elie. Not sure what he thinks he will get in arbitration. He was on a 1 year deal and played all of a dozen NHL games last season. 

Hopefully Ullmark, Rodrigues and McCabe all get done before the arbitration hearings. Those things can get ugly and I don’t want to sour the relationship between them and Buffalo (which seems to happen when players/teams actually make it to the arbitration hearings). The majority of times deals are done before the hearings though, so I’m not worried. 

One bonus, this does give the Sabres a 2nd buyout window (iirc they get a 3 day buyout window sometime later in the offseason) since they had players who elected to file for salary arbitration. Not that I really expect Botterill to use it, but at least they have the option. 

We are not the only franchise where the frustration is building over the way the organization operates. Shedding players to get draft picks and younger players for a rebuild can seem punishing to fans. And when there is a belief that the owner is not committed to winning the intensity of the reaction rises to outright anger. 

Because of the systemic losing the Sabre fan base has gotten beyond the point of anger and has arrived at the point of apathy. That is a more toxic environment for the franchise and team to deal with. The front office has to demonstrate that it is doing everything that it reasonably can to put a more competitive and entertaining team on the ice. 

https://www.si.com/nhl/2019/07/05/ottawa-senators-lisa-macleod-apologizes-confrontation-eugene-melnyk-owner

As prospects skated back and forth on the Harborcenter ice below, Ralph Krueger sat in a suite next to assistant coach Don Granato, while both peered at a laptop.

Moments later, Krueger's other assistant, goalie coach Mike Bales, joined the lengthy discussion. Krueger, less than two months on the job as the Buffalo Sabres' coach, seemed to turn the suite into a think tank during the four-day development camp.

There were long chats with the only assistant he retained from Phil Housley's staff, Steve Smith, and an extensive conversation with owners Terry and Kim Pegula at the conclusion of the 3-on-3 French Connection Tournament.

During a one-on-one interview with The Buffalo News, Krueger described the process as "very intense," yet the eternal optimist embraces the challenge of creating a winning blueprint for a playoff-starved franchise.

The 25 years of head coaching I had in the past is bubbling back up to the surface," Krueger said, beaming. "Everything is very easy and natural. I’m not coming in here with a blueprint of the past teams I’ve coached. I’m developing a new blueprint for the Buffalo Sabres today, for the roster we have, for the characters we have, for the kind of team where I see the strengths and weaknesses of the group. This blueprint will be original and will certainly have some of the elements I’ve liked, but the package will be for what I believe gives us the best chance to be a competitive team in the NHL."

I love this guy. 

Krueger then hired two assistant coaches, attended the NHL draft and spoke with potential Sabres during the one-week negotiating window before free agency. There were also extensive meetings with Botterill, the Pegulas, his coaching staff and even Bills coach Sean McDermott.

The two head coaches met twice to exchange "intellectual capital," according to Krueger, who called McDermott an invaluable "asset" for exchanging ideas. Collaborating for professional growth is among the reasons Krueger left for England, one of the lessons he hopes to apply in his return to hockey.

I called this one the day he was hired! lol

Both McDermott and Krueger are always looking to learn and grow as coaches/men. I’m glad they are using each other as resources. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I love this guy. 

I called this one the day he was hired! lol

Both McDermott and Krueger are always looking to learn and grow as coaches/men. I’m glad they are using each other as resources. 

I like everything I hear except the part where he spoke with free agents we were considering.  He certainly didn't convince any decent player to join because none did.

Posted (edited)

This is a good signing...particularly for a young team.  Mature leader with good work ethic.

David AmberVerified account @DavidAmber

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I’ll take it!

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what is your current assessment of goalie situation?......

That until we get guys willing to take out opponents in front of the net that our goalies will always be challenged.  We are softer than a Mr. Pillow.  Either the guys we have have to get tougher or we need a couple enforcers.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I like everything I hear except the part where he spoke with free agents we were considering.  He certainly didn't convince any decent player to join because none did.

It was reported that they were in on a few free agents, but the price, or term, got too high for botterill. Can’t blame Krueger for that.  And I don’t blame botterill either (like on Zuccarello, who at 32 wanted a 5th year and buffalo wouldn’t do it. Minnesota did). I don’t want any more Okposo deals hurting us when it comes time to sign Dahlin, Reinhart, etc. 

And on guys like Pavelski (who buffalo went after) it doesn’t matter what Krueger or anyone else says. Pavelski is chasing a Cup. All that mattered to him were the team’s chances of achieving that in the next 3 years. I don’t know if there’s anyone on the planet who could convince Pavelski that Buffalo is a legit cup contender for the next 3 years! lol 

Plus he hasn’t even coached a game in buffalo yet. Let’s see how free agency goes a year or two from now (and next year a ton of money comes off the books). 

Edited by BillsFan4

17 minutes ago, JoeF said:

That until we get guys willing to take out opponents in front of the net that our goalies will always be challenged.  We are softer than a Mr. Pillow.  Either the guys we have have to get tougher or we need a couple enforcers.

...sure sounds reasonable....despite other issues and refocusing, Robyn fared better with the Isles......surprised that they let him walk and he signed a one year deal with Chicago.......

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure sounds reasonable....despite other issues and refocusing, Robyn fared better with the Isles......surprised that they let him walk and he signed a one year deal with Chicago.......

Our partial seasons in Carolina are right behind the goal where the Sabres shoot twice ...but the one period where the Sabres goalie has been in front of us was pretty educational.  A relatively smallish rookie #1 draft choice was the guy most willing to mix it up last year.  6'3" Zach Bogosian was less than impressive.....

32 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ll take it!

Yep. Solid signing that can play LW or C. Another Swede in the stable. 

No wonder why Risto wants out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Our partial seasons in Carolina are right behind the goal where the Sabres shoot twice ...but the one period where the Sabres goalie has been in front of us was pretty educational.  A relatively smallish rookie #1 draft choice was the guy most willing to mix it up last year.  6'3" Zach Bogosian was less than impressive.....

.....thank you for sharing....interesting.......:thumbsup:....didn't they just draft some 6'6" goalie?...sound more like a Verizon cell tower............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....thank you for sharing....interesting.......:thumbsup:

One more important aspect is that our puck handling in our own zone is also less than impressive.  Just lots of minor things that make the difference between an undisciplined lower tier team and a playoff team. I really do believe the Sabres have the talent to be a playoff team. They just don’t take care of business.

8 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Our partial seasons in Carolina...

Oh no!  Another Buffalo - North Carolina ‘connection’!  😒

😁

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

One more important aspect is that our puck handling in our own zone is also less than impressive.  Just lots of minor things that make the difference between an undisciplined lower tier team and a playoff team. I really do believe the Sabres have the talent to be a playoff team. They just don’t take care of business.

....and I thought Housley could fix that.......woefully wrong.....thought he had earned his stripes with Preds and Team USA with a proud career in Bflo...we'll never know if Pegs was influenced by Phil's Sabres lore as he was with LaFontaine who flew the coop with the Miller trade....

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ll take it!

Very nice signing,, right AAV  and right term 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Faced least amount of shots per 60 and least amount of dangerous chances in the NHL. I believe., but that’s going off memory. Not saying he did not have a good year, but I am sure the belief is plug any halfway decent goalie in the net and they will be okay. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JoeF said:

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...what is your current assessment of goalie situation?......

Agree on the sloppy play in our own zone, in general. Lots of dumb mistakes.

and on on clearing the front of the net. 

I think another things that been a HUGE factor are the systems (or lack there of), as well as being terrible at limiting high danger scoring chances. 

Nolan pretty much had no discernible system. 

Bylsma’s system relied on long stretch passes by our defenseman and we had none capable of doing it (plus, teams have really learned how to counter it in recent years).

and housley played a man on man coverage system that was awful. All the puck carrier had to do is circle the o zone and the Sabres players would either lose their man or cover the wrong guy. It constantly led to guys standing wide open in front of the net. 

There has been WAY too much chaos in our own zone these last # of years. Goalies need to know what their guys (especially the defenseman) are going to do so they can play the right angles and know when to be aggressive and when to be more conservative. But since the Sabres has little to no structure, it left the goalies guessing way too much. 

If theres one thing krueger has shown, its that he can install a good defensive structure. 

Also, I really question Andrew Allen (our ex-goalie coach). The longer he worked with our goalies, the worse they seemed to get.

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Faced least amount of shots per 60 and least amount of dangerous chances in the NHL. I believe., but that’s going off memory. Not saying he did not have a good year, but I am sure the belief is plug any halfway decent goalie in the net and they will be okay. 

His goalie partner (a career backup) also put up pretty much the same numbers as Lehner.

IMO Barry Trotz’s system had a huge impact on the NYI goaltending.

Having Mitch Korn as your goalie coach also helps. He’s a legend. 

Lehner had a great year, don’t get me wrong.

But Ill be curious to see how he does in Chicago. They are not nearly as structured as they once were. Jeremy Colliton has them playing a much more open game than Q did. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Let’s see how that classless A hole likes playing behind that Chicago D and their second most goals against. I hope he gets peppered to the point of shell shock. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’ll take it!

The three signings this offseason are all solid players who are two way responsible players. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign another player or two from teams that are cap stressed. It's not about the glitz and flash as it is about playing a harder and more physical game. This offseason is about changing from being soft and loose to playing a harder and tighter game. I like how the GM is handling the offseason. He isn't pulling a Murray and forcing things. He's waiting for opportunities and then seizing on them. 

• Like (+1) 1

this is the tweet Zadorov sent out after signing his new 1 year deal with the Avalanche. 

Pretty sure that’s from the game where Zadorov got away with this hit to Eichel’s head and Eichel retaliated and got suspended 2 games. 

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

As I was watching this, I think I felt it move.

17 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

this is the tweet Zadorov sent out after signing his new 1 year deal with the Avalanche. 

Pretty sure that’s from the game where Zadorov got away with this hit to Eichel’s head and Eichel retaliated and got suspended 2 games. 

Yep, that's the one. And if you look at the sleeve of the Sabres player in the background, you'll know that's Casey "The Pusillanimous Wonder" Nelson watching the whole thing happen. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

As I was watching this, I think I felt it move.

Yep, that's the one. And if you look at the sleeve of the Sabres player in the background, you'll know that's Casey "The Pusillanimous Wonder" Nelson watching the whole thing happen. 

Casey Nelson claims that he was screened from the play and didn't witness the hit. The coached talked to him about the play and sat him out the next game. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  The Sabres were well known within the league as a soft team that could be taken advantaged of. And they were. It's not surprising that the three acquisitions this offseason are known for their gritty play. Obviously, the team softness is being addressed. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-casey-nelson-bothered-by-response-to-hit-on-jack-eichel/

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Casey Nelson claims that he was screened from the play and didn't witness the hit. The coached talked to him about the play and sat him out the next game. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  The Sabres were well known within the league as a soft team that could be taken advantaged of. And they were. It's not surprising that the three acquisitions this offseason are known for their gritty play. Obviously, the team softness is being addressed. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-casey-nelson-bothered-by-response-to-hit-on-jack-eichel/

Let’s hope that’s the case. We let Skinner get run by Yandle last season without a response as well. Teams simply can’t be allowed to take liberties with your star players. Nothing divides a locker room faster, too. 

• Like (+1) 2