Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

Boy, all hell breaking loose for the flames head coach as Calgary comes to town. 

I guess Bill Peters is still at the hotel. His assistant is running practice at the rink in Buffalo. Seems like about 1/2 a dozen people have come forward against Peters in the last day.

This is what started it all -

https://www.tsn.ca/akim-aliu-speaks-publicly-on-allegations-against-calgary-flames-head-coach-bill-peters-1.1403974

I wonder if Skinner will have anything to say. I’m sure they’ll ask him about Peters. He played for him for 4 years iirc. 

Edit - and another...

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Actually I think we are pretty close to dead rock bottom right now.

Not everyone gets this, yet, but the team we have assembled now is going to need to be stripped clean and built again.

For the 3rd time.

I don't think Botterill will be given the privilege of overseeing the next rebuild.

Question is when does he get the boot?   

Every minute Botts is here is a wasted minute.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Boy, all hell breaking loose for the flames head coach as Calgary comes to town. 

I guess Bill Peters is still at the hotel. His assistant is running practice at the rink in Buffalo. Seems like about 1/2 a dozen people have come forward against Peters in the last day.

This is what started it all -

https://www.tsn.ca/akim-aliu-speaks-publicly-on-allegations-against-calgary-flames-head-coach-bill-peters-1.1403974

I wonder if Skinner will have anything to say. I’m sure they’ll ask him about Peters. He played for him for 4 years iirc. 

Edit - and another...

Hockey less so than many other sports was late to adjust to the modern world of diversity in the work place. Just like the SEC and many southern schools lagged behind other conferences to accepting diversity at the schools and sporting fields. 

There are a lot less of those coaching dinosaurs left in the sport but there is still a remnant that do exist but are quickly dying off. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/11-26-sportsnets-elliotte-friedman-with-the-instigators

Elliotte Friedman on WGR today. Mentions some stuff about buffalo trades around the 8-9 minute mark. Says Scandella’s name is out there. Maybe Miller too. Buffalo looking for the best forward they can get. 

I know a lot of the critics here disagree with me but the Sabres in many of their losses are not getting outclassed. In the last three rugged road games the Sabres played mostly even with the opposition (except for specialty units). The biggest deficiency is the inability to convert their chances when they arise. Adding a solid to good shooting forward or two would be a tremendous addition.  

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I know a lot of the critics here disagree with me but the Sabres in many of their losses are not getting outclassed. In the last three rugged road games the Sabres played mostly even with the opposition (except for specialty units). The biggest deficiency is the inability to convert their chances when they arise. Adding a solid to good shooting forward or two would be a tremendous addition.  

2-8-2

"Not getting outclassed in many losses" is quite the standard.  Only outclassed in some of our losses.  Other losses happen for other reasons.  Dude, we've won 2 of our last 12.

Yesterday's lineup had 6 viable NHL players at forward and one was a defenseman.  Add back Johansen and you're back to 6.  Maybe a couple can be inevitable fringe/role players but overall the roster is inexcusable.  

I get that dangling Scandella and Miller can't be expected to return much.  The time to build a viable roster is not November and it's not 2025.  The time has past for Botts.  

I know we have said it before , but next 4 days are really critical for the Sabres. Struggling Calgary team with a bunch of folks in the stands who this may be there one Sabre game of the year, back to back against the Leafs. Man, what does TPegs do if they come out of here with less than 2 points?

man, what a mess.  

44 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I know we have said it before , but next 4 days are really critical for the Sabres. Struggling Calgary team with a bunch of folks in the stands who this may be there one Sabre game of the year, back to back against the Leafs. Man, what does TPegs do if they come out of here with less than 2 points?

man, what a mess.  

We recently lost to Boston and Tampa. Both of them are legitimate cup contending teams. We lost two road games to teams that are from a talent standpoint at the top of the pyramid. So why is it such a disaster to lose to either one of theses games? In fact, I will go so far as to say that I thought we slightly outplayed Boston. 

Toronto is another team that from a talent standpoint is in the upper tier. They have gone through some internal turmoil that resulted in their curmudgeon coach getting fired. But it shouldn't be surprising that once that source of conflict has been removed that this team stabilizes and plays to its talent level which is better than our hometown team.

I agree with you that a loss to Calgary would be devastating and should send some chills through the organization, starting with the owner's box. I have repeatedly told you that the issue that afflicts this franchise is the issue of talent. We are getting better but we are not there yet. Whether you accept the reality or not it takes time.  

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We recently lost to Boston and Tampa. Both of them are legitimate cup contending teams. We lost two road games to teams that are from a talent standpoint at the top of the pyramid. So why is it such a disaster to lose to either one of theses games? In fact, I will go so far as to say that I thought we slightly outplayed Boston. 

Toronto is another team that from a talent standpoint is in the upper tier. They have gone through some internal turmoil that resulted in their curmudgeon coach getting fired. But it shouldn't be surprising that once that source of conflict has been removed that this team stabilizes and plays to its talent level which is better than our hometown team.

I agree with you that a loss to Calgary would be devastating and should send some chills through the organization, starting with the owner's box. I have repeatedly told you that the issue that afflicts this franchise is the issue of talent. We are getting better but we are not there yet. Whether you accept the reality or not it takes time.  

Conveniently ignoring the losses to Wild & Hawks?    What's the excuse there?

Bill Peters won’t be behind the Calgary bench tonight. His assistant, Geoff Ward, will be running things. I believe it’ll be his first time ever running an NHL bench/team.

I am really hoping to see the Sabres come out and play with intensity. They should be fired up to take advantage of an already struggling team that’s now in further disarray, losing their head coach (for tonight at least) to a developing scandal that’s the talk of the entire hockey world. 

I want to see some desperation (from our players) to get in the win column. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/we-cant-accept-the-results-because-of-how-weve-played

Krueger on WGR today. Sounds like Johansson could be back in the lineup tonight. 

Krueger on the injury status of Marcus Johansson:

"We're going to take a look at him today. He stayed back here in Buffalo [during the road trip]. We worked together with him and our rehab team in Buffalo, and it looks like he's progressed positively. We hope that the pregame skate goes well  today, so he's still a question mark for tonight, but I would say more on the positive side of seeing him in the lineup."

4 hours ago, GG said:

Conveniently ignoring the losses to Wild & Hawks?    What's the excuse there?

The Wild was a bad loss. The Sabres were inexcusably flat while the Wild were the more energetic team. There was no excuse for that.  The Hawks were at home and were starting to play well. Losing to them on a back to back game was more understandable. The Sabres have talent deficiencies mostly associated with a lack of dispersed scoring that has plagued this team. Until that issue is addressed this team will not noticeably move up the ranks. As I have often said the determining issue is a lack of talent. 

The time for crying is over.  Now it's just all laughing until Botts is gone or Eichel asks out.  One of those two things is inevitable.  There will be tears of joy or sadness depending on which happens.  

The inabilty to assemble a team that can handle one of the league's worst, while they are in turmoil, on our home ice demands some accountability.  Why are we to believe if he was given 100 years that he could assemble a championship team?  He was spotted Eichel and lotteried a no brainer first overall and it's a string of horrible seasons.  This is simply not a team on the upswing.

So.... 

1 win in the entire month of November with 2 more games to go (both against the leafs in a back to back). 

That’s just beyond brutal.

It’s not even thanksgiving and im pretty much already mentally checked out on this season. Sick of being a Sabres fan.