Helium Shortage!

17 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I think they're invested in the paper industry. Last week I got a letter explaining how much my insurance would cover for my recent visit to the eye doctor. That was one sheet of paper to explain the benefit and a twelve-page booklet outlining the grievance procedure if I wanted to complain. Nowhere is there any option for me to get this information electronically. I can't imagine why the cost of health insurance is so high.

Paper will never die.  Actually, the field to get into.  Nobody is, so you punch your own ticket.

It's still everywhere... Even the drywall that seals your home.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Paper will never die.  Actually, the field to get into.  Nobody is, so you punch your own ticket.

It's still everywhere... Even the drywall that seals your home.

I have no problem with paper in general. I still use paper too, but there's no need for a 12-page booklet from the insurance company every time I go to a doctor. Ultimately, I pay for that paper through my premiums.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I have no problem with paper in general. I still use paper too, but there's no need for a 12-page booklet from the insurance company every time I go to a doctor. Ultimately, I pay for that paper through my premiums.

I see...  Agree.  In a few years a lot of the paper Baby Boomers will be dieing off, things may get better.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I have no problem with paper in general. I still use paper too, but there's no need for a 12-page booklet from the insurance company every time I go to a doctor. 

Yes, there is.  Government regulations.

You think you have to sign six different documents each visit because the doctor and insurers want it that way?

As someone once in supply chain, the helium we used was in leak detection of large cooling systems and providing a neutral charge in the system until delivery to customer.  We had a very difficult time sourcing it one time (similar to this).  Other companies were hoarding it and the US government hadn’t released anything from the reserve so supplies were very tight.  I also read where helium manufacturing plant is going to be down 3 months for maintenance - which is prolly contributing to some of the “shortage”.

Edited by BuffaloBud

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

As someone once in supply chain, the helium we used was in leak detection of large cooling systems and providing a neutral charge in the system until delivery to customer.  We had a very difficult time sourcing it one time (similar to this).  Other companies were hoarding it and the US government hadn’t released anything from the reserve so supplies were very tight.  I also read where helium manufacturing plant is going to be down 3 months for maintenance - which is prolly contributing to some of the “shortage”.

Does it have to helium?

When we did our HVAC system @ work, they ran nitrogen through system to test for leaks before insulating the lines.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does it have to helium?

When we did our HVAC system @ work, they ran nitrogen through system to test for leaks before insulating the lines.

It could, but helium allows for finding smaller leaks.  These are large cooling systems for data centers and telecom systems.

33 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

It could, but helium allows for finding smaller leaks.  These are large cooling systems for data centers and telecom systems.

Hydrogen would allow for finding even smaller leaks, even more easily: just wave a match around.  :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1