Fundraisers

Mr Wild

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I attended a fundraising event for a friend of mine's son who suffered a serious neck injury.  There were multiple items in a silent auction.  Someone donated a basketball signed by Oscar Robertson.  A guy one it ... then publicly gave it to the family so they could auction it again.  So after that, everyone who won felt awkward.

Churning For Charity! The newest trend in philanthropy!

I get the spirit and good intentions, and I fully get that it can be very awkward. 

On 3/18/2019 at 11:38 PM, BUFFALOKIE said:

I sold 12 boxes of chocolate bars in the third grade.

^^^^This, lol. I was banned from school fundraising in elementary school after eating too much of my own inventory that my mom bless her heart, had to pay up for at the end—.50 cents adds up quick on those M & M boxes!! I had to pay off the debt through extra chores which is still probably not enough in hindsight. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I attended a fundraising event for a friend of mine's son who suffered a serious neck injury.  There were multiple items in a silent auction.  Someone donated a basketball signed by Oscar Robertson.  A guy one it ... then publicly gave it to the family so they could auction it again.  So after that, everyone who won felt awkward.

I take the easy way out of those events...I write out a check and simply state that I am unable to attend.I do the same things with weddings...

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Churning For Charity! The newest trend in philanthropy!

I get the spirit and good intentions, and I fully get that it can be very awkward. 

let me tell you, the most awesome fundraiser I was ever at was for my brother. Man, i can't tell you what that was like..the women who organized that thing were unbelievable. Every single 50/50 got donated back...and there were plenty. None of the auction things went back though..a few us bought stuff for his boys so they had a remembrance of the day. But my brother coached every team any of his kids were ever on..and with 5 boys who all played hockey and baseball, that was a ton of teams and a ton of kids and parents who loved him.

My only real contribution was to have several cases of beer in the truck as the church would not allow us to serve alcohol for liability sake. Anybody wanted a beer, I had em just go out to the truck and drink away!

But we raised almost $85K that day, and let me tell you that money has been sorely needed over the last 6 years. 

Just in case ya need a good story for today

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/prep-rally/baseball-player-takes-part-team-big-comeback-win-195711408.html

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

let me tell you, the most awesome fundraiser I was ever at was for my brother. Man, i can't tell you what that was like..the women who organized that thing were unbelievable. Every single 50/50 got donated back...and there were plenty. None of the auction things went back though..a few us bought stuff for his boys so they had a remembrance of the day. But my brother coached every team any of his kids were ever on..and with 5 boys who all played hockey and baseball, that was a ton of teams and a ton of kids and parents who loved him.

My only real contribution was to have several cases of beer in the truck as the church would not allow us to serve alcohol for liability sake. Anybody wanted a beer, I had em just go out to the truck and drink away!

But we raised almost $85K that day, and let me tell you that money has been sorely needed over the last 6 years. 

Just in case ya need a good story for today

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/prep-rally/baseball-player-takes-part-team-big-comeback-win-195711408.html

We have two beer taps and a full selection of spirits in our community center for events..but some of the old timers on our Holy Name Society board won't allow Bingo to be played on the property.Come to any one of our dances at St.Gabs and you will see two fish tanks,one at each end of the bar,full of $1 pull of tickets for sale.$$$$$

Edited by Misterbluesky
  • Like (+1) 1