How Much Did The Bills Actually Improve the OL? PFF Rankings 2018 vs. 2019 Comparison

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

On many of those short passes Josh saw that they were available and and decided on a different course of action. Maybe he was told to look for the big play or maybe he thought that he needed to do more on his own given the lack of support around him. I don’t know. But with a guy like Beasley around, he’ll (most likely come to) realize what he has there and use the short passes more.

This is going to be a huge focus for Allen this year. Beane said as much in the interview @stevewin helpfully transcribed:

AS – We know he’s a great athlete, know he has a cannon for an arm.  In your opinion where does he need to get better

BB – It’s his decision making.  I hear the accuracy criticism, I don’t totally agree with that narrative.  It’s the decision making – and what it is is Josh is so competitive and he’s obviously got the arm, that he tries to make throws that a lot of guys can’t make so they don’t try even try it.  That was one of the areas of growth that we ket stressing to him – is it’s OK to take the 5 yd check down and move it to 2nd and 5 instead of trying to squeeze it into the hole 18 -20 yards down the field that’ just lower percentage.

I'n sure that's why they got Beasley. They want Allen to have that short to medium range target he can rely on. He's a smart guy, I think he'll figure it out.

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I wonder if we'd have the same collective optimism if the final game of the season was at NE and not at home against a Miami team that appeared to quit.

I will say that besides the respectable numbers he put up in said Miami game, the touch pass he completed to Ivory provided some hope that he at least has the ability to make that play. Hitting/Missing those bunnies will ultimately define his career.

Completely agree, and the fact that it was an emotionally charged game celebrating Kyle's career and the type of game that the team usually overachieves on, certainly factors in too.  

As to that pass to Ivory, I don't think that there's any question that he "can make" those throws, surely he can.  The question is whether he can process all the moving parts of the offense (and defense) so as to be able to optimize his options on every play.  That's what franchise QBs do.  As of now he's not proven that, here or even in college.  

• Thank you (+1) 1