MLB viewing for 2019 (intended)

row_33

I usually record 2 or 3 games each day and watch them starting around 9pm, fast forwarding to the pitcher getting set, and ditching a game when its garbagetime.  It takes about 65 minutes to watch all the actual action in a baseball game, so 3 of them are watched this way in the same time as watching one in real time.

This year will include all the Yankees games and another whole series selected randomly at first but eventually fixing to see at least one series in each park.

I will provide comments on the announcing crews and game observations.

That's the plan at least...

• 3 weeks later...

First series watched of the year, Mariners at A's in Tokyo.

Covered by ESPN with a bland announcing crew, there was nothing remotely adding to what I could grasp watching with my eyeballs.

The theme was Ichiro's farewell, a nice touch, and the debut of youthful phenom Kikuchi.

They put on a super-hype over-the-top kiss-up to Ichiro and Kikuchi and it was kind of understandable, but I didn't need this to be watching the game, I'm a fan already.

Opening Day and the Twins/Tribe on tap, along with all the Yankees games.

----------------------------------------

not a fan of ESPN "national" coverage

they missed 2 pitches yesterday, one a called third strike on Judge (only the most watchable plate appearance of this era)

they forced the Yankees game into a small portion of the screen for other game's action, they often jumped to show me the 3 lame-os in the booth for 20 seconds at a time, almost missing other pitches

i'm a baseball fan who is watching the Yankees game, i'm not really fascinated by Goldschmidt's first at bat with a new team, leave me with the Yankees please.

a rarity yesterday with a runner hit by the batted ball on his way to second, Worst Ump Ever CB Bucknor missed it completely from his snooze at 2nd base.  The announcers could have informed us that it is an out if there is any conceivable chance the D could have made a play.  If the infield is in and the runner is hit by a batted ball behind the fielders, then it's not an out.

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

----------------------------------------

not a fan of ESPN "national" coverage

they missed 2 pitches yesterday, one a called third strike on Judge (only the most watchable plate appearance of this era)

they forced the Yankees game into a small portion of the screen for other game's action, they often jumped to show me the 3 lame-os in the booth for 20 seconds at a time, almost missing other pitches

i'm a baseball fan who is watching the Yankees game, i'm not really fascinated by Goldschmidt's first at bat with a new team, leave me with the Yankees please.

a rarity yesterday with a runner hit by the batted ball on his way to second, Worst Ump Ever CB Bucknor missed it completely from his snooze at 2nd base.  The announcers could have informed us that it is an out if there is any conceivable chance the D could have made a play.  If the infield is in and the runner is hit by a batted ball behind the fielders, then it's not an out.

Nice rules clarification. I feel like I've heard that before but wouldn't have come up with it on my own.

Not sure who was announcing but last year I couldn't stomach the Sunday night crew. If I heard them say "ambush" one more time I would've had to check the Best Buy circulars for a deal on a new TV.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:32 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Nice rules clarification. I feel like I've heard that before but wouldn't have come up with it on my own.

Not sure who was announcing but last year I couldn't stomach the Sunday night crew. If I heard them say "ambush" one more time I would've had to check the Best Buy circulars for a deal on a new TV.

I do not like the ESPN system of covering a game, but I understand they have basically mortgaged the network to getting people to watch more MLB, good luck boyos!

Watchd the O's coverage of the Yankees game on Saturday, Gary Thorne and of course Jim Palmer did it 100% perfect with class and understanding this is just one of 162 games of a really bad team.

I'm a baseball fan just watching a plain old game because i need to and want to, don't need a clown show or disco lights or screaming or fake interest or cutting off 2/3 of the action on the screen a dozen times for no good reason, or trying to get me angry because the umps call a situational strike zone (thank goodness!!)

I predict the Thorne/Palmer crew will be in the Top 5.... the Mets with Keith and Ron will be up there, the Yankees (esp. with O'Neill) as well, not sure who will take the other 2 spots.

Among the worst will be Buck (balls and strikes) and Tabler (colour) for the Jays, but irony prevails as Dan Shulman (balls and strikes) with Buck (colour) is one of the better doing Jays games...

Great is OBrien with RemDog, wincing is O'Brien with Eck, but I'm kind of getting to like Eck.  Hope Remy gets through a better year for his existence than recent ones...

I'm learning more how to distinguish Keith and Ron, they are very similar in tone and range for a telecast, Keith is usually having to suppress what he really wants to say and kind of sighs before trying to sugarcoat it...

:D

On 4/1/2019 at 10:44 AM, row_33 said:

Among the worst will be Buck (balls and strikes) and Tabler (colour) for the Jays, but irony prevails as Dan Shulman (balls and strikes) with Buck (colour) is one of the better doing Jays games...

:D

Schulman can do a lot ..college b-ball/footbalI ,I find him calming and he sets up the commentary partner nicely.Martinez is NOT PBP material..he has too many stories to tell instead of calling the play.The Jays do have great camera work because of that old done set-up.I watch them when the mets allow me to watch.

You have a good combo tonight for the "Big Return" in DC......

Bob Costas/John Smoltz..I'll tape that because the Peter Alonso Show starts at 7.

P.S.-60's this weekend and the Bisons opening weekend,I might check out your kids.

26 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Schulman can do a lot ..college b-ball/footbalI ,I find him calming and he sets up the commentary partner nicely.Martinez is NOT PBP material..he has too many stories to tell instead of calling the play.The Jays do have great camera work because of that old done set-up.I watch them when the mets allow me to watch.

You have a good combo tonight for the "Big Return" in DC......

Bob Costas/John Smoltz..I'll tape that because the Peter Alonso Show starts at 7.

P.S.-60's this weekend and the Bisons opening weekend,I might check out your kids.

Dom Smith is starting tonight.

Buck of the Jays as PBP SCREAMS a "GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!!!" call for every Jays can of corn that comes down 15 feet in front of the warning track....

Last night was somebody with Jack Morris on the Tigers TV broadcast.  Jack did a season on the radio for the Jays during his 15th kick at the can to get into the Hall of Fame, I'm cool with him getting in but....

You know how important people can exhibit class and make lesser people feel good about contact with them, being positive and uplifting, content in their accomplishments?  Jack is the complete opposite effect in every sentence out of his mouth.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Buck of the Jays as PBP SCREAMS a "GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!!!" call for every Jays can of corn that comes down 15 feet in front of the warning track....

Last night was somebody with Jack Morris on the Tigers TV broadcast.  Jack did a season on the radio for the Jays during his 15th kick at the can to get into the Hall of Fame, I'm cool with him getting in but....

You know how important people can exhibit class and make lesser people feel good about contact with them, being positive and uplifting, content in their accomplishments?  Jack is the complete opposite effect in every sentence out of his mouth.

If the Mets weren't on WWOR back in the late '70's,I would hit up Tom Cheek on CJRN.He was a very good radio PBP guy,imo.

Edited by Misterbluesky

19 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

If the Mets weren't on WWOR back in the late '70's,I would hit up Tom Cheek on CJRN.He was a very good radio PBP guy,imo.

Tom was a class act all the way.

Not sure if he turned down any offers to do other teams or a national broadcast gig.

At one point we had Don Chevrier (one of Canada's best, and with ABC Sports) and Tony Kubek calling Jays games on TV, now we have two bozos on non-Shulman broadcasts....

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Tom was a class act all the way.

Not sure if he turned down any offers to do other teams or a national broadcast gig.

At one point we had Don Chevrier (one of Canada's best, and with ABC Sports) and Tony Kubek calling Jays games on TV, now we have two bozos on non-Shulman broadcasts....

Ohh..I remember that team.Chevy had those thick glasses...Kubek was awesome.Here in Buff..we got all of the CBC and CTV games.

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

Ohh..I remember that team.Chevy had those thick glasses...Kubek was awesome.Here in Buff..we got all of the CBC and CTV games.

it was a nice decade from 1983 to 1993 when every single pitched mattered and was diligently followed by Jays fans.

11 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I left for the Corps in late '82...I missed most of the good action.

The 1977 expansion Jays for years were as poor as expected and then they were in first place through a few months in 83 and didn’t look back until 1994.

————-

twice already a Yankees base runner has been hit by a batted ball, Judge taking a line drive off his heel on his way to third yesterday

this sport is getting depressing to watch closely

good thing pitchers are seen as brave to go into the 6th inning or we'd have a lot of men with 15 strikeout performances every day

-------------------------------------------------

and ESPN lays another egg last night while i'm trying to watch the Yankees and Astros

i had absolutely no interest in any other game last night, i don't care to watch Chris Davis struggle at the plate live, taking away 60% of the screen of the live Yankees game.

I have absolutely no interest in flashing to the booth every third pitch to show the announcers, they are not very good and I could not care less what they look like

just try to show a game as they cover it on local broadcasts please, at least if you have a home run to show elsewhere, don't cut into the middle of an Aaron Judge plate appearance giving me 40% of the screen to watch it.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, row_33 said:

I have absolutely no interest in flashing to the booth every third pitch to show the announcers, they are not very good and I could not care less what they look like

You wouldn't say that if it's a Good Humor ice cream inning on SNY. Nobody can figure out how the cute little dalmatian gets on top of the ice cream truck..Keith gets happy because he gets a free treat ??

On a serious note...I like when the Cubs go to the booth to interview who's singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame....and then,of course...they show the person singing the song during the stretch.